Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:22:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFort Meow
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Fort Meow  (Read 15227 times)
RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2014, 06:43:21 AM »

Fort Meow

Hooray!

Fort Meow is done and dusted and will be releasing worldwide on Steam and the App Store on June 25, 2015.

After what started as a Ludum Dare game, it has come along way over the last year and a half.

It's been a long journey and I kind of abandoned this devlog due to the amount of work I was getting done (and my forgetfulness).

I just wanted to say thanks to anyone that's checked it out, and I hope you will join me and grab a copy to celebrate (please  Beg)

http://www.fortmeow.com

Beer! Cheers!

Belated Dev Blog Version 1!

I’ve been working on this small game for the past few months in my spare time away from my day job and I’m eager to get some feedback on its current state.

I originally created the prototype for the Ludum Dare competition back in December last year and people seemed to dig the mechanics and style. So I figured I’d take it further and add some other elements. Original prototype / Ludum Dare build

A few friends have been helping me test so far, and it's going well. I've managed to redesign the game-flow and minor mechanics about 3 times now  Cry But it's hopefully in a state where I can focus on nailing how the player thinks about using the items and how the game should provide an enjoyable challenge as they progress.

The premise of the game has you playing as a small girl who is vacationing at her grandparents house during the summer. You find an interesting journal in the attic written by your late grandfather and decide to check it out….Only to be interrupted by CATS! A whole bunch of them. You take decisive action and build a pillow fort out of furniture to keep them at bay while you try to decipher the mysterious stories within the book.

It’s fairly bare-bones at the moment, but has a lot of the basics that I wanted to include. A big part of what’s missing however is how the items and cats interact with each other further along in the game. I want it to be semi-strategic, yet still accessible and casual to play and enjoy. A lot of this I think will come down to balancing...which is a bit scary.

Please excuse the non-existent music and 5 or so sounds that are in the current build!

If you have any feedback, please either leave it below or use the in-game Google form that should appear if you’ve played for a bit and press exit. There are a lot of bugs, but try and work around them for now if you can until I can squish them on my next bug pass.

Thanks!

Today's Log

I spent tonight ironing out some stupid bugs involving the Fusion 2.5 integrated physics engine. They're still not 100% and act really weird most of the time. It's especially fucked after I save their positions before a frame change and load them all back in when the player returns. I'm not really sure how to fix this at the moment but I'll come up with something soon... Shrug

Besides that, I gathered some feedback into my mess of a Google docs sheet and made this forum post.

Twitter - @rhysdee
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:12:52 PM by RhysD » Logged

Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 09:41:30 AM »

Played the Ludum Dare build a while back and loved it. Such a funny original concept. I look forward to seeing how you expand on it!  Beer!
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 12:28:05 PM »

The concept is great! The gameplay's good but, I think, isn't varied enough. I pretty much found myself using the exact same pieces and strategy every round.

I'm assuming the intro text at the beginning is placeholder because it's eyestrainingly small. A way to skip the intro after starting a new game would be nice.

I was a little irritated that if you grab a rotated piece it stays rotated until you left click to drop it at which point it jumps back to it's default rotation. I also found that occasionally pieces would jump to 90 degrees of their default rotation when dropped.

I was frustrated to learn that, while still learning the controls, if I accidentally delete a piece of furniture that was bought in a previous round it doesn't get refunded. This set me back on the second level as I had to spend time replacing an undamaged armchair I had already paid for. I get that it makes sense since the currency is time and you'd be wasting- time getting rid of stuff you've already built but it seems a little harsh if it's an accident. Maybe an undo button or the ability to refund furniture that's undamaged? I accidentally deleted three or four more items over the course of five or six levels.

Something about RMB being pick up and delete feels really weird, especially when grabbing something from the menu is LMB. I keep trying to use LMB to pick up pieces and now that I'm used to RMB for grabbing I keep trying to use RMB on the build menu. I think the control scheme is also a big part of me accidentally deleting stuff.

I'm getting some really weird collision problems where the armchairs I used as the base of my fort are sliding out from under all the mattresses and pillows. The screen shakes the whole time they slide. Here's what my fort looks like now. The armchairs were right up next to her before.

There doesn't seem to be a way to quit without alt+f4 after the Google Drive survey shows up.
RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 05:09:17 PM »

The concept is great! The gameplay's good but, I think, isn't varied enough. I pretty much found myself using the exact same pieces and strategy every round.

I'm assuming the intro text at the beginning is placeholder because it's eyestrainingly small. A way to skip the intro after starting a new game would be nice.

I was a little irritated that if you grab a rotated piece it stays rotated until you left click to drop it at which point it jumps back to it's default rotation. I also found that occasionally pieces would jump to 90 degrees of their default rotation when dropped.

I was frustrated to learn that, while still learning the controls, if I accidentally delete a piece of furniture that was bought in a previous round it doesn't get refunded. This set me back on the second level as I had to spend time replacing an undamaged armchair I had already paid for. I get that it makes sense since the currency is time and you'd be wasting- time getting rid of stuff you've already built but it seems a little harsh if it's an accident. Maybe an undo button or the ability to refund furniture that's undamaged? I accidentally deleted three or four more items over the course of five or six levels.

Something about RMB being pick up and delete feels really weird, especially when grabbing something from the menu is LMB. I keep trying to use LMB to pick up pieces and now that I'm used to RMB for grabbing I keep trying to use RMB on the build menu. I think the control scheme is also a big part of me accidentally deleting stuff.

I'm getting some really weird collision problems where the armchairs I used as the base of my fort are sliding out from under all the mattresses and pillows. The screen shakes the whole time they slide. Here's what my fort looks like now. The armchairs were right up next to her before.

There doesn't seem to be a way to quit without alt+f4 after the Google Drive survey shows up.

Thanks for the feedback. The gameplay is meant to have variation as you play further, introducing new cats and items you can grab from the house. At the moment however, it might not be too clear to the player that it does change up eventually. The first room you have access to in the house actually has a mix of building items and items that have a special effect attached so the player is gradually introduced to the concept that the items can do more than just act as a barrier.

It might just be that I need to introduce the players to this concept earlier. Initially I was worried that it would shorten the game even more than it is, but I've come to the realisation that a short, great designed game is better than something vague and dragged out.

Skip intro added for the next version Smiley (the text is placeholder until I can draw the cutscene)

As for the controls, you are correct about the rotation being screwed up in this build. I'll need to focus on correcting this for the next build as it is fairly annoying when it snaps back to the default rotation. I'll also have a play at making picking up items LMB. I still want to keep RMB as a control however, as deleting a picked up object needs to be considered. If that doesn't play out I might need a trash can similar to the recycling bin or trash on mac that the player can drag and drop the item onto to delete.

The items not refunding is a bug, thanks for letting me know. They shouldn't refund you if they are damaged. I think it's just a flag I'm forgetting to set when I load the scene after coming from another.

The physics are an issue at the moment and need to be addressed. The bug with the sliding objects is doing my head in at the moment, but I should be able to find the culprit soon Smiley I tried to see your image but it asked me to request access! (if you see someone requesting, it's me Tongue)

Also, there should be a skip option under the Google Drive survey...? If not i'll see what's happening.

Thanks again for the feedback, I love it!

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 06:34:41 AM »

23/4 - Didn't have too long to work on the game tonight, but still had some nice progress.

- Fixed some bugs with the physics. The items seem to be a bit more stable now and don't go crazily sliding around.

- Items are now picked up using LMB. Removing a picked up item is still done using RMB.

- Items should refund their full value if they aren't damaged, even when returning from another scene.

Current build

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 06:24:24 AM »

24/4

- Font was missing from build resulting in miniature text (should be fixed hopefully, please let me know if it still occurs!)

- Fixed items not saving their style during save/load

- Picked up items should now keep their rotation angle if picked up and placed down again.

- "New Chapter!" should now link to the latest chapter in the book. It should also jump to the latest whenever you visit that screen. Might change it later to remember the last page you left it on.

- Made beanbags actually bounce back the Fat Cats. Might be a little overboard...

- Tried making the game a bit more varied by introducing the house exploration at an earlier stage.

Current Build - Download

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 07:29:13 AM »

25/4

Gathered a bunch of feedback from Feedback Friday on Reddit and via the #SAGameDev channel on IRC.

Fixed some bugs.

Added some more hints that guide the player.

Current Build - Download

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 05:34:24 AM »

27/04

- Added a particle system

- Fixed some bugs

CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 09:25:53 AM »

Particles + screen shaking are definitely giving this game some juice! Loving it so far!

I PMed you btw Smiley
RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 04:58:40 PM »

Particles + screen shaking are definitely giving this game some juice! Loving it so far!

I PMed you btw Smiley

Thanks Smiley Replied!

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 05:08:58 PM »

It's reverse angry birds!n oh angry birds.
Anyways.

There are a ton of cool directions you can take this. I think it would be fun to eventually allow the player to build turrets or some secondary structures that they also must protect. You could even shoot cats out of the air with the turrets.

I like it though. Smiley

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 05:34:22 PM »

It's reverse angry birds!n oh angry birds.
Anyways.

There are a ton of cool directions you can take this. I think it would be fun to eventually allow the player to build turrets or some secondary structures that they also must protect. You could even shoot cats out of the air with the turrets.

I like it though. Smiley

Thanks Smiley I have a few additional defenses planned that come in the form of items you find around the house. At the moment as well there is an item in the first room that works really well if you defend it (the lamp!) But yeah, turrets sound cool! I just want them to fit in with the overall theme/feel of the game. I suppose I already have some mechanical stuff, so some turrets might not be out of the question.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 07:13:16 AM »

Or turrets that shoot crumpled foil that the cats chase off screen or something.
RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 05:55:42 AM »

Or turrets that shoot crumpled foil that the cats chase off screen or something.

Great idea! I have actually been doing a lot of thinking around the items you find, and there are few turret type options in there.

Didn't have much time to work on the game in the last few days unfortunately Sad But I did get some stuff done!

30/4

- Players don't have to spend the entire time amount before defending.

- Grayed out items you can't afford

- Important items that drop are automatically collected if you forget to before a scene change.

- Completely reworked some items (just written for now, still need to implement.)

I will be uploading new builds every once in a while (ones that have some substantial changes) and will mention it at the end of the update post.

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 06:48:52 AM »

4/5

- Coded 7 new items with their own separate abilities. Still need to create art (tomorrows task!)

- Fixed the way cat sprites are attached to their physics colliders. Fixes a few positioning bugs.

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 04:30:30 AM »

7/5

Drew some new items Smiley

mirrorfish
Level 1

?!?! ... It's just a box.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 06:38:39 PM »

Great and funny concept. I'm always looking for non-violent games to play with my 3 and 5 year old and I think they'd love this. Anything involving building forts = instant win as far as they're concerned. Add in cats and you're off to a great thematic start. Good luck!

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 09:51:37 PM »

Great and funny concept. I'm always looking for non-violent games to play with my 3 and 5 year old and I think they'd love this. Anything involving building forts = instant win as far as they're concerned. Add in cats and you're off to a great thematic start. Good luck!

Thanks for the kind words! Hopefully the game will be enjoyable for all age ranges.

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 07:07:54 AM »

14/5

It's been awhile since the last post!

Anyway.

- Finished drawing all but 1 item.
- Added them into the game (sans code for a few last ones).
- Changed an item I thought was shit into something cooler.
- Did some UI for them.

Really need to get back motivated and delving deeper into the development of this Smiley

Sorry for the lack of content in these updates, but it does help me keep slightly motivated when I have tasks to do (i.e. updating this dev log!)

RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 04:50:08 AM »

15/5 New build!

Uploading the current progress. A bunch of items have been added, game play semi-balanced and bugs fixed.

Any feedback would be awesome Smiley

Fort Meow - Alpha Build 0.0.2!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic