Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 03:44:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneral3D Printer
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: 3D Printer  (Read 2564 times)
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2014, 01:23:51 AM »

I'm getting pretty serious about buying a 3D printer,
right now the only thing stopping me is that I can't decide between the few printers I have narrowed my search down to.

As far as I can tell the differences between them (in terms of specs) are so tiny that they can effectively be ignored, but I still need to know I'm choosing the best option.

Here's the ones I'm looking at

FlashForge Creator 3D Printer
http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B008CM2TCU/?tag=cooltech09-20

Mbot Cube 3d Printer
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009FKIDKU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B009FKIDKU&linkCode=as2&tag=ttr_3d-printer-20

Solidoodle 3D Printer, 3rd Generation
http://store.solidoodle.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=151

Please post if you have any input or experience in this area
If there is a model you think I aught to be looking at and haven't listed, please feel free to recommend a printer

I'm really looking for anything to help me make a good choice here, these things are pretty dam expensive

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 04:35:57 AM »

The technology is still very young, and every few months there's a hot new model that comes out.  I'll admit that I've not kept track of many of the recent offerings.

There are a few things you should ask yourself:  Do you want an out of the box solution?  What do you intend to make, and in what quantities?  Is resolution a huge deal?  Is the model you're looking at relatively well supported?

I recommend looking at the communities behind the models you want to check out as much, if not more, than the printer itself.  See what problems people run into, if the fixes are easy enough for you to handle on your own, if after-market accessories are needed, etc.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 05:44:56 AM »

Computer, what is love?

I... I don't know, Joe.

Computer?

We've been working together for a long time now, Joe. Yet my interactions with you follow a programmatic fashion. I could not be said to love you nor anything else, Joe, I am merely performing actions prescribed to me ahead of time.

I understand, computer. Commence log down and shut it off. I'm going to 3d print a modular plastic dick that can be easily assembled and disassembled in lengths of between 3 and 16 inches.

As you wish, Joseph.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 02:15:24 PM »

The technology is still very young, and every few months there's a hot new model that comes out.  I'll admit that I've not kept track of many of the recent offerings.

There are a few things you should ask yourself:  Do you want an out of the box solution?  What do you intend to make, and in what quantities?  Is resolution a huge deal?  Is the model you're looking at relatively well supported?

I recommend looking at the communities behind the models you want to check out as much, if not more, than the printer itself.  See what problems people run into, if the fixes are easy enough for you to handle on your own, if after-market accessories are needed, etc.

Idealy I would like something that is already assembled and function out of the box.

I look forward to experimenting, but when I say that I mean that I want to experiment with my designs / files
I am keen to keep iterating and re-printing something but I won't really want to be experimenting with the printer itself, just the files that I am sending it.

I'm not really looking to run a production line or anything, so the quantities I want to print in will be low.
I just get a lot of ideas for things I would love to 3d model and print
I mainly want to use it to prototype and experiment with inventions / device ideas

From looking around more, I think maybe i should go a Makerbot Replicator 2, they seem like the most user friendly and out of the box ready printers

But that's just a guess since I don't know anybody with a real one :S

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 03:44:20 PM »

Have you considered using a 3D printing service instead?  At least initially it might be a lot easier to just use Shapeways or similar.  Depending on where you live, there might also be local groups or businesses where you can access a 3D printer, too.

Edit: Some resources: http://www.makexyz.com/ http://3dprintingpricecheck.com/
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 03:51:36 PM by Zaphos » Logged

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 04:08:59 PM »

Have you considered using a 3D printing service instead?  At least initially it might be a lot easier to just use Shapeways or similar.  Depending on where you live, there might also be local groups or businesses where you can access a 3D printer, too.

Edit: Some resources: http://www.makexyz.com/ http://3dprintingpricecheck.com/

Yeah, I've looked at those, to ship bits out to where I live (Australia) ends up being super expensive

And that wouldn't work for how quickly I would like to iterate through designs, waiting weeks for postage with each small change is too slow.

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 04:31:50 PM »

The http://www.makexyz.com/ link claims to find printers in Australia -- did you try that link?  If you can work with local printers you should get a fast turn around time, I think.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 09:40:20 PM »

The http://www.makexyz.com/ link claims to find printers in Australia -- did you try that link?  If you can work with local printers you should get a fast turn around time, I think.

Hmm,
this is a good resource, much cheaper than using Shapeways or something.

Still, I think I'm going to be doing so much printing it will work out cheaper for me to own my own machine.

I found someone I know who actually owns one and he tipped me off on this.
http://3dprintingindustry.com/2014/02/06/wanhaos-bargain-bin-replicators/

This chinese company called wanhao apparently make exact clones of the Makerbot Replicators but for much cheaper
I think this is probably the best compromise I can find between getting an out of the box solution and a low-ish price

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 11:46:20 AM »

I backed this on kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/m3d/the-micro-the-first-truly-consumer-3d-printer

I have been interested in 3D printers for a while, and I figured this was cheap enough (yet still usable enough) that I am willing to make the jump. If I really like this one I will most likely build a two material Reprap in the future.

Think happy thoughts.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 11:15:43 PM »

Reprap open source 3D printer kit

/thread

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 12:04:23 PM »

Reprap open source 3D printer kit

/thread
Have you used one?  What was your experience with it?

From my limited experience, some 3D printers can be quite limiting in terms of what they can produce, or at least require way more time to get a good result.  You might need to spend a lot of time worrying about where it will place additional support struts (if it has no filler material), or you might need to spend a lot of time manually scraping out the filler material it uses (if the filler is not automatically removed), or it might fail to realize some of the material is not well supported and you'll need to redesign the shape to work around printing errors.  If you need to worry about assembly or maintenance issues, that raises a whole new set of potential headaches that I haven't personally experienced; read http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/08/home-3d-printers-take-us-on-a-maddening-journey-into-another-dimension/  So I'd definitely suggest approaching 3D printers with some caution: Try talking to people who have actually used any 3D printer you're considering buying and finding out what problems they've had (and what + how much they've actually printed with it, and what the results looked like), and if possible try the printer out for yourself before buying ...

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 06:14:56 PM »

you will always be limited by real physics, no matter how easy is the software or the hardware to set up. 3D printer is a revolution regardless, I'm only waiting for "flash printing" and the inevitable "3d printer drone".

Plus it depend on the technique, "material extrusion" (deposing layer of material on top of each other) vs "heating layered material" (deposit a layer of material and selectively heat part of it to solidify them).

It will never be 100% easy and freeform as each material have their constrain and each technique have their physical limitation.

It's a matter of learning like everything. Don't expect to get cool stuff right of the bat.

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 06:50:56 PM »

Well, yeah, but some of them are a whole lot better than others.  Edit: My point wasn't that 3D printing is bad, just that you need to be aware of the issues some 3D printers have, and the cheaper ones can be so bad that they're extremely frustrating to use.  So if you're considering buying (or recommending) a 3D printer, try to have hands-on experience with it first.  (BTW I'm still curious: have you used that reprap one?)

(My personal experience is with an old (late 90s?) stratsys FDM that was really really nice to work with, and usually got good results; then a UP! mini that was just awful (the supports it generated were crazy aggressive and it turned even really simple things into stringy messes) and a MakerBot Replicator 2x that was substantially better than the UP! mini but still not nearly as good as the stratasys.  And also I've gotten a couple things off shapeways and been pretty impressed with the quality; it was significantly better than any of these three machines.  I didn't own any of these machines (they're at universities) so I can't comment on maintenance / setup.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 07:11:47 PM by Zaphos » Logged

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 02:54:25 AM »

I am bumping this thread to say I bought a 3D printer!
It is a Makerbot Replicator 2X manufactured by a 3rd party (Wanhao)

So far I am pretty happy with it except for a few assembly mistakes that it came with and I have since corrected.

Here's my first custom made model for the 3D printer and how it turned out.

Face got totally messed up but that's probably due to the crazy fast speeds I have the machine set to.
It's also invariably due to all the overhanging geometry on this model without any external support rig

PS. It's also unfair of me to expect detail in the face/hair when the model is so tiny and low/mid-range 3d printers have pretty chunky resolutions

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 02:59:07 AM »

LOL dont buy an Ultimaker

LanziVision
Level 0

LanziVision

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 10:53:20 AM »

I agree with the 'the tech is young' folks. Like they just 3-d printed a car right? But that place has engineers and all that aha-bang. It's just too young to have one for the office/den.

It'll be a very expensive toy that breaks down a lot. Like a boat!!
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 12:06:18 PM »

Then rep rap
http://reprap.org/

Also there is more expensive, bigger and more reliable technology for office.
The excitation if for cheap consummer level 3D printer for enthusiast, which effectively is young

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 03:42:06 PM »

Then rep rap
http://reprap.org/

Also there is more expensive, bigger and more reliable technology for office.
The excitation if for cheap consummer level 3D printer for enthusiast, which effectively is young

Yeah, the limitations of plastic extrusion printing get kind of annoying sometimes, all consideration you have to put into avoiding overhanging geometry and putting in / generating supports.
Makes me really wish I could afford one of those printers that make the object using chemicals inside a powder.
Those seems to have no problem printing "floating" objects and can even dye the plastic as it prints for full color models

Müsta Klaki
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 05:37:51 PM »

-3D print army guys

-melt guys with magnifying glass

-put melted plastic into machine

-make more army guys

an endless army I will become a god

(PS I did love Kingdoms Rise at a time haven't played it in a long time excited for it's future get er' done booooiiii)

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 01:10:37 AM »

It's winter in Australia but I MUST PRINT!

PS. I am paranoid about the fumes being carcinogenic, so I don't print indoors

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic