Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:01:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsWorth going to GDC Europe
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Worth going to GDC Europe  (Read 1467 times)
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2014, 02:32:37 AM »

So I'm trying to decide if GDC Europe would be worth the trip or should I skip it altogether and go to the main conference in San Francisco. I would be going there mostly to make connections and hear some decent indie game talks.

Life sucks and then you die.
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:52:24 AM »

So literally no one has any opinon or insight about GDC Europe ?

Corwin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 06:47:37 AM »

I've only been once a couple years ago, and I was disappointed. A couple decent talks, but almost none with a potential take-away for a designer, and almost nothing besides the talks themselves. Based on that experience I wouldn't recommend, and it's the reason I haven't been back there since even though I could have gone for free if I wanted. I think it pales in comparison with the SF event, but maybe someone else can share positive stories about it.
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 12:41:54 AM »

Well someone on twitter mentioned it's pretty good and they went last year so it might of gotten better. Although the low amount of reponses is making me quite nervous.

Corwin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 12:48:53 AM »

You might have better chances of meeting indies with one of the UK-based game event like Eurogamer, it doesn't seem like there's such a big indie presence anywhere else in Europe, and I don't know if the UK indies bother going to Germany for GDC when they have multiple opportunities to meet in the UK itself. But don't take my word for it, GDC doesn't suck, it's just not as good as the US event, and was a bit underwhelming for me.
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 02:18:21 AM »

Well I'm going to going to Eurogamer and the like regardless anyway, so I don't mind. Honestly I was hoping to run more into the more of the other parts of the industry, publisher, journalist and the like

Jonathan Burroughs
Level 1

Co-founder Variable State

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 03:29:15 AM »

It is on at the same time and in the same city as Gamescom, which makes it attractive for me! That and a trip to Cologne from London is a lot cheaper than a flight to San Francisco (alas!).

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 05:54:49 AM »

Actually the indie ticket includes a 3 day pass to Gamescom, which is a decent postive. on the other hand the main conference isn't until April next year, so more time to save for that ?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic