Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:45:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRogueline: The one-dimensional dungeon crawler!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Rogueline: The one-dimensional dungeon crawler!  (Read 9615 times)
Password
Level 0

Troy and Abed in the Morning~

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2014, 03:10:34 PM »

This is my second endeavor into mobile games. This game is a one-dimensional roguelike, as the title implies. Here is a mockup screenshot:

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/26499

Anyways, enjoy! I'll be working on the game often.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:39:20 AM by Password » Logged

lionfish
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 04:43:39 AM »

Neat Concept.  I got bored by stage 3.  Great job so far though!
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 07:48:24 AM »

Interesting Idea, the game looks pretty, will be interesting as you add more detail and options. but nice start.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 08:51:52 AM »

Lovely, looking forward to see more!
Beautiful pixelart btw

andypaxo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 04:02:12 PM »

Fantastic artwork there.  My Word! Those pixels are so sharp you're going to cut yourself on them.

Also, love how you've packed some unexpected interactions into your game world at such an early stage. Makes it feel very roguelike-ish.

Fells like your biggest challenge is going to be balancing the game when the player has limited options. The first level of the first game I played was all skeletons and no shops, making it impossible. The next one had a better balance, and it was pretty quick to get to the point of being able to conquer a baddie in one hit.

Great stuff!
Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 05:41:42 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback guys!  Smiley
Like I said, the game is in its very early stages, and isn't that strategic or challenging as of yet. It's kind of just a toy to play around with the mechanics. As you can see, I've already implemented goo blobs, a new type of enemy with more health but less damage, and more are sure to come.

Right now, I'm working on the inventory system. When you kill enemies, they'll drop various items, such as health potions, spells, bombs, etc. However, because of the simple nature of the game, you'll only have four total slots for items/spells. So, you have to choose which items to keep, and which to throw away. Rest assured, the game is going to have more depth as I program in more and more mechanics!

Also, as side note, I really don't know what to call this. "Tiny Dungeons" sounds kind of boring and generic to me, so it's only temporary. It just sounds like any other dungeon crawler or roguelike. Does anyone have any suggestions?

armedpatriots
Level 0

Game Designer/ Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 12:56:31 AM »

Yeah ditto what everyone else said on the pixel art, you are a true talent. As for the game, it look very interesting. I think that this has some serious potential. Keep up the good work man.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
-Thomas Edison
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 04:07:25 AM »

of course one can push slimes into each other to increase their size and attack power, yeah? something like it seems to be in the game already

pushing is fun, make it do things in the game. maybe there are enemies who hurt enemies behind them when they're pushed, but become tougher if you do

maybe there are piercing attacks

maybe you can swap enemies' places with certain spells, or such!

super cute game C:
FlukeXP
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 07:01:00 AM »

You are on to something pretty awesome here man.  Kudos for such a simple and fun concept.

And the pixely UI is beautiful.
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 03:03:38 PM »

Great concept! One dimension, yet so many possibilities come to my mind!
Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 04:17:04 PM »

Devlog #1 - 4/29/2014

I've begun work on the item/inventory system. Currently there are two items that exist: A bomb that can be used to instantly kill an enemy, and a key. I've also created treasure chests, which can be opened with keys. The chest will have a small description. For example, it might say "There's a magic aura around it," which implies that the chest will give you spells or mana potions. Or it could say "There's a strong, pleasing scent," Which means that it'll give you health potions or other healing items.

I've already implemented the bomb and the treasure chests, and I'll be uploading the new version soon. Here's a GIF!  Smiley

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 05:17:14 PM »

Great artwork. I love the minimal concept. Ditto what everyone else said. Super balance issues. There are a lot of cool directions you could take this, following.

gbelo
Level 0

hanging out

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 08:05:19 PM »

Huh, neato. Would make for a kickass mobile game, yeah.

1. Something about a "Corridor" would make for a decent name. Or "The [something] Halls." Whatever. Do a thing with that, maybe?
2. You could take some inspiration from RPGs, I think, especially those with one-on-one battles like the original Dragon Warrior. Mayhaps think about how they handle making battles deep.

Ideas, or something:
  • Some monsters behind other monsters could perhaps "push past" them to get to you--they're the aggressive ones that you know are coming.
  • Polymorphing a monster would make you calculate risks as a player.
  • Some chaotic spell that just re-randomizes the placement of all of the elements on screen might be interesting.
  • Maybe a "back" option to retreat a space and recover some health (or serve some other function), but with the monsters advancing toward you as well--with some being slower than others, but always limited by being backed against the leftmost wall.
  • Mayhaps even a 'teleport self' to evade him, too, when he has you cornered and there are empty spaces.
In general, it does seem that this game idea would be well suited to facilitating strategic use of items and spells. Some strength and HP upgrades here and there; but also chances to perform some tricks.

Possibilities are endless.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:31:53 PM by gbelo » Logged

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 01:16:39 AM »

Great art and concept, it's very original :O , following!
Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 06:07:06 PM »

Oh joy!

Devlog #2 = 5/1/2014

The new update is out!

Version 0.2 Changes
-NEW! Inventory System! The items include health potions, keys, and bombs.
-NEW! Treasure Chests! Currently, there is one type of treasure chest which gives you a lot of gold.
-Enemies now give slightly less gold. This change was made because it became way to easy to have way too much money and be able to literally buy everything.
-Bug Fix: The Skeleton Bone, which reduced the health of skeletons, is now working properly
-Enemies get increased stats every 3 dungeon floors. This, hopefully, will increase the challenge of the game.

I've noticed a problem with the game that some of you guys have already mentioned: The game is incredibly unbalanced. At this point, it's just based on a roll of the die. You could get a bunch of enemies that drop great items, allowing you to become basically invincible, or you could get almost no items or shops, and have a pretty hard time. So, the next update will have a reworking on the dungeon creation system. It will draw obstacles from a pool of various enemies, shops, chests, etc. These pools will be predetermined so that there is a good balance of enemies, shops, chests, and whatnot.

Anyways, enjoy!  Smiley

gbelo
Level 0

hanging out

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »

Bitchin'.

What else do you have planned? I'm definitely following this one.

jeffrobot
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 07:57:17 PM »

Hey, just some feedback. For a while I thought I opened chests just by walking into them, so I was confused when I didn't get anything. I also didn't realize the item on the enemies was something I could take, I thought the bombs meant that the enemy had a bomb they could use. It took me a few levels before I tried dragging the items into my inventory. And right at the end, I figured out that pushing two same enemies together leaves one stronger enemy, I think?

Cool concept though, I'd play it every so often if it was on my phone, which isn't true for many games.
Password
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 08:19:50 AM »

Hey, just some feedback. For a while I thought I opened chests just by walking into them, so I was confused when I didn't get anything. I also didn't realize the item on the enemies was something I could take, I thought the bombs meant that the enemy had a bomb they could use. It took me a few levels before I tried dragging the items into my inventory. And right at the end, I figured out that pushing two same enemies together leaves one stronger enemy, I think?

Cool concept though, I'd play it every so often if it was on my phone, which isn't true for many games.

Yeah, there are a few things that the game doesn't really make clear at first, but I'm working on that. I'm focusing on the core gameplay first, but I'll add a tutorial and some more information later to make things more clear. I'll probably put "NEED KEY" whenever you reach a treasure chest, or something like that.

Anyways, the new version is up now!

Version 0.3 Changes
-A fountain! Fountains heal you in exchange for some money. Previously, the game just healed you to 100% health at the beginning of every level, but I found that to be a bit too easy and hard to balance around. Hopefully this new mechanic will change things up a bit, since you want to stay at a good amount of health, but you also want to save some money for upgrades.
-A new enemy was added: The bat! The bat does a lot of damage but doesn't have a lot of health.
-Two new items: Health Potion and Steak. Steak gives you extra damage for a a few turns, and health potion is self-explanatory.
-Enemies now get slightly more health and damage every level.

Try the new version here: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/26499

Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 09:15:59 AM »

great!, it's already pretty fun. Those sprites just get better and better

Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 01:43:06 PM »

Agreed, lookin great! Would be a great little time waster on mobile.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic