Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:37:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsShadowcrypt
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Shadowcrypt  (Read 10176 times)
tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2014, 07:26:26 PM »

Please vote and help out a fellow gamedev!!
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=267450121

You got my vote. 

I gotta say the screenshots give the impression that the game is zoomed out really far.  Quite different from the trailer.

Also, it looks like you walk at a speed so slow I can see it being annoying.  That said, the game seems really cool.  I agree with someone else: A 2D dark souls. 

One-bit Punch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2014, 04:53:48 PM »

Ah that's handy to know KeinZantezuken, thanks for that info! Oh and big thanks castled and tieTYT, and everyone else who kindly took the time to vote  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

I've been downplaying Dark Souls' influence a bit, so its quite cool people still picked that up. Its been a huge influence on the game's melee and overall colour palette. I just love that game (even though I kinda suck at it).

KeinZantezuken
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 10:44:40 PM »

Congratulations, you've been greenlit:

http://steamcommunity.com//sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=275489841

Awaiting release in july on Steam Tongue
KeinZantezuken
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 11:07:05 AM »

Any news, OBP?
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 11:54:12 AM »

Any news, OBP?
Shadowcrypt is out now on itch.io. $9.99, currently 10% off ($8.99)

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
ollie_r
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 01:18:39 AM »

Started playing last night. I absolutely love it.
One-bit Punch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 04:36:47 PM »

Thanks for the heads up Christian! Beer! such a huge honour to be included in the TIG Devlog Showcase!!

For anyone else reading this - yes the game was soft-launched on Monday on itch.io and available to buy. Its good to test the waters first as this is my first time selling anything online. Soft-launching also gave me some time to catch up on sleep and relax for a bit, man I really needed it!

PS. any fellow developers here who are unsure about itch, I HIGHLY recommend it. So easy and hassle-free!

@der_r: That's awesome, so glad to hear you're enjoying the game!!  Beer!

@KeinZantezuken: Hey man! Sorry for the lack of updates, the past couple of weeks have mostly been getting the game ready, adressing feedbacks, bugs fixes, emailing.. so there hasn't been much of tech/design stuff worthy enough to write on this devlog. That being said I'm now looking at ways on how I can go about integrate achievements. An ETA on Steam is a hard one to guess (I'm still new to its API) but I imagine it won't take too long to implement Smiley

Congratulations, you've been greenlit

Cheers man!!  Tears of Joy
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:15:12 PM by onebitpunch » Logged

KeinZantezuken
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 07:15:34 AM »

No scaling option? Game is not compatible with 4:3 at all?
One-bit Punch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 08:59:00 PM »

No scaling option? Game is not compatible with 4:3 at all?

Yeah there's no 4:3 mode, unfortunately. The game was built with 16:9 in mind as its the most commonly used resolution, while 16:10 monitors will automatically get letterboxed. In my opinion this game looks the most optimal when played on larger monitors (21" and up). Main reason is 4:3 being way too restrictive and feels very narrow - either the corridors need to become substantially smaller (which lessens the range you can fight & move around in), or the game has to scroll with the main character, something that I try to avoid as much as possible due to Game Maker giving off these awkward tearing effect to all moving objects.

Thanks for asking! Smiley

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 05:39:29 AM »

I just finally saw this game. I love the combat in it, it reminds me of playing Mount & Blade (especially cRPG mod) but in 2d. I'm one of those people who didn't even like Zelda 2 as a kid and saw it as the black sheep of the series, but this game and Elliot Quest are turning me around on that. The combat in this looks really dynamic and fun. I'll have to grab it on Itch sometime. I'll probably have more design/dev questions after I actually play it. Tongue

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
One-bit Punch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2014, 10:16:44 PM »

@James Edward Smith: Thanks man!  Beer!

An update to this devlog is long overdue. Stuff fixed or added since the initial soft-launch release:

1.  Finally added customisable control bindings for both keyboard and gamepad.
2.  Left analogue joystick can now control player directions and menu screens. Lots of players hate Xbox 360's awful d-pad so I'm glad I got this one sorted out.
3.  Added on-the-fly adjustable brightness up to 4 levels (Default, 1x, 2x, and 3x) to cater for a wider variety of monitors.
4.  Standardised input for navigating in-game menus for both keyboard and gamepad.
5.  Added a few graphical tweaks (improved pause screen and added subtle ceiling/platform depth shadows).
6.  Fixed a bug where moving platforms are not paused properly.
7.  Fixed a rare bug where the dead character can still pick up a heart during a specific moment, which can cause the game to get stuck and unable to advance.
8.  Fixed a bug where the character can enter past through a closed portcullis moments after destroying the last enemy in the room.

Well.. I think I'm ready to wrap up this devlog, its pretty much done at this point while I continue working on integrating the game to Steam. For a debut game it has gone a lot further than I expected so I'm happy with that. Maybe I'll write some kind of a post-mortem one day, to reflect on the things I did and figure out how I can do better and create a better workflow for my next project. Thanks everyone! Smiley

Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 11:34:57 AM »

Hi There! I bought this from the Humble Store if I'm not mistaken last Saturday, was trying to buy it through itch.io but accidentally did it through Humble Store.

I still haven't finished it, and I have put several good hours into it. It keeps making me come back, I'll probably keep doing it until I actually finish it. It's difficult but not unfair, it's a lot of trial and death. My only beef with it is probably the death penalty (losing sword and shield = sadboy and soon Game Over, at least for me). Otherwise it's a beautiful experience, very focused and tight mechanics, great overall structure and size, nice hook from the start, and easy to pick up but allows for some intense fights, as it's sometimes highly reflex-based and skill-oriented. Visuals and ambient sounds were awesome too! I really liked it. I looked for the devlog after playing it for a while, hoping you wrote one, and I found this so I'm glad you took the time to post it.

Good luck with this, hope more people get it, it's worth it Smiley
One-bit Punch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2014, 02:32:02 AM »

Hi There! I bought this from the Humble Store if I'm not mistaken last Saturday, was trying to buy it through itch.io but accidentally did it through Humble Store.

I still haven't finished it, and I have put several good hours into it. It keeps making me come back, I'll probably keep doing it until I actually finish it. It's difficult but not unfair, it's a lot of trial and death. My only beef with it is probably the death penalty (losing sword and shield = sadboy and soon Game Over, at least for me). Otherwise it's a beautiful experience, very focused and tight mechanics, great overall structure and size, nice hook from the start, and easy to pick up but allows for some intense fights, as it's sometimes highly reflex-based and skill-oriented. Visuals and ambient sounds were awesome too! I really liked it. I looked for the devlog after playing it for a while, hoping you wrote one, and I found this so I'm glad you took the time to post it.

Good luck with this, hope more people get it, it's worth it Smiley

Hey thank you so much for the kind words! I'm so happy that you're enjoying the game!  Beer!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic