Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:29:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsTutorial: no-tile map editor like in Aquaria or Braid games
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Tutorial: no-tile map editor like in Aquaria or Braid games  (Read 19846 times)
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2008, 10:22:07 AM »

[Edited]

After 40 hours working in this, it is finished!
http://gametuto.com/in-game-c-map-editor-tutorial-with-indielib-engine-that-dosent-use-tiles-but-pieced-images-like-in-braid-or-aquaria-games/

[Old post]

I'm currently working hard in a new tutorial. This time I'm using IndieLib in order to create a map editor that dosen't use tiles, but directly images that you can tint, rotate, scale in different parallax layers, with zooms, etc.

This isn't anything new, but I haven't seen a tutorial about that yet.

If you still don't get the idea I think it would be clear for you reading this: http://www.davidhellman.net/blog/the-art-of-braid-part-4/ or trying Aquaria mod editor.

The problem is that I don't have a set of graphics in order to distribute with the tutorial.

And now is when I cry  Tears of Joy and I ask you... could you (Alec or Derek) let me use for this tutorial some of the graphical objects of Aquaria? I'll give credit to your work and I will put a big link to Aquaria game. Using your set of graphics the tutorial would be... impresive!

Thanks!

PS: I bought your game the first week you released it Wink and I fell in love with the editor.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 04:09:59 AM by Loover » Logged
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:29:22 AM »

I'd be cool with it, but its Derek's art so its mainly up to him.  Beer!

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 11:42:51 AM »

Why do a tutorial on what is a behind the scenes tool? I just want to find a decent editor that supports this sort of thing, and an easy to read export format, then I'd use that rather than write my own. Unfortunately, everyone just seems to write their own tool, built into the game engine.
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 11:55:18 AM »

Why do a tutorial on what is a behind the scenes tool?

This will be equally to explain IndieLib sourcode, that is Open Source and you can check out if you wish. I mean, IndieLib gives me all the methods I need in order to have a camera, zooming, rotation, translations, alpha blending, area collisions (grouped using triangles, circles or rectangles), animations, morphing deformations (like in Aquaria game for the plants), etc... in an easy way.

In this tutorial I will just use IndieLib engine in order to create a clean editor, exporting / importing XML files. I think is the appropiate way of abstraction, in order to keep things easier.

This way it would be cleaner than using OpenGl / Direct3d / SDL directly. But as I said, you can still check out certain methods (like collision methods) on IndieLib sourcecode, just in case you want to have a deeper insight.

It is different if the tutorial is about... a Tetris clone for example. When I made the the Tetris clone tutorial I focused on game logic, and I only needed to blit rectangles, so I used SDL. I dind't need a better engine for this task.

I think there is no need of reinventing the wheel on each tutorial making everything from scratch. Furthermore I want to test IndieLib, just to checkout its capability for rapid game prototyping.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 12:05:05 PM by Loover » Logged
BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 12:19:33 PM »

In this tutorial I will just use IndieLib engine in order to create a clean editor, exporting / importing XML files. I think is the appropiate way of abstraction, in order to keep things easier.
Awesome. As I say, I don't think there's a decent editor that already does that, let alone a tutorial.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 08:21:24 AM »

I'd be cool with it, but its Derek's art so its mainly up to him.  Beer!

It's cool wit me, too! Kiss
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 08:44:31 AM »

I'd be cool with it, but its Derek's art so its mainly up to him. Beer!
It's cool wit me, too!  Kiss

Beer! Beer! Beer! Tears of Joy Kiss Tears of Joy Kiss Tears of Joy Kiss Beer! Beer! Beer!

I LOVE you!

For me this is like if Steve Vai let's you play his guitar!

COOL! Thank you very much to both of you!

Derek, could you PM me in order to know how to get the set?
Steve Swink
Swank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 11:39:16 AM »

For me this is like if Steve Vai let's you play his guitar!

ha ha, that is such an awesome reference.  Panda Tiger

Steve Swink
Game Designer, Enemy Airship
Content Director, IGF
sswink (at) enemyairship(dot) com
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2008, 02:04:22 PM »

ha ha, that is such an awesome reference.  Tiger Tiger

Smiley  Gentleman

The editor is starting to work quite well. I'm just waiting ansiously for that graphics!
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 03:10:20 AM »

hey loover! i'm starting with opengl to write a 3d renderer for my engine, maybe we could try to make an opengl renderer for indielib?

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 04:05:39 AM »

If you own v1.1 of Aquaria, just go to the game's directory under the gfx subdirectory, it's all there. Kind of obvious :D

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 04:06:58 AM »

As an aside, I created a similar level editor for my next game -- it works basically like a tile-based level editor except that the tiles can be of any size and they can go anywhere, and you can edit their properties individually, instead of having to put them in a grid. I wouldn't think you'd need a tutorial on how to code one, because if you can code a tile-based level editor you probably could code one of these, no? Still, would be good to read to see if there's anything I missed.

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2008, 04:59:02 AM »

If you own v1.1 of Aquaria, just go to the game's directory under the gfx subdirectory, it's all there. Kind of obvious.

I own Aquaria, but I don't know yet how to get the update. In the Aquaria forum I saw that:

// Derek: Actually, hold off for the time being until things are cleared up with them.
(Talking about Plimus).

I hope I will be able to get it soon Smiley Any advices? Furthermore I can't found the emain with my Plimus number :S

As an aside, I created a similar level editor for my next game -- it works basically like a tile-based level editor except that the tiles can be of any size and they can go anywhere, and you can edit their properties individually, instead of having to put them in a grid.

That's exactly what it is. Just a list of entities with different attributes. Using IndieLib entites is a piece of cake.

I wouldn't think you'd need a tutorial on how to code one, because if you can code a tile-based level editor you probably could code one of these, no? Still, would be good to read to see if there's anything I missed
Yep, and if you can code this, you probably can code Quake 6. But there are always people that are still learning and tutorials are helpful for them. Like you can read in the title of gametuto.com: "Game tutorials for smart beginners and meek geeks". I really want to give something back to the community. And I enjoy making these tutorials.

hey loover! i'm starting with opengl to write a 3d renderer for my engine, maybe we could try to make an opengl renderer for indielib?

Wow! That's will be a challenge! Having you working on IndieLib would be great! I have some ideas of how to export the render into a plugin. Do you dare to do it?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2008, 05:00:45 AM »

It was released last week -- seems like you missed the release announcement. Just email Alec with your purchase information and he'll reactivate you Plimus download.

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2008, 05:11:36 AM »

Just email Alec with your purchase information and he'll reactivate you Plimus download.

Thanks! I found my receipt from plimus in my old email account. And the release announcement. Shit! I have forgoten about this email account.

But I don't now if I should disturb Alec whith this, because Derek said on the forums: "Actually, hold off for the time being until things are cleared up with them."

rinkuhero, how did you get it? Writting to Alec?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2008, 05:13:16 AM »

Did you check the date on where Derek said that? I suspect he said that before the announcement.

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2008, 05:27:27 AM »

I'm not sure, but it appears in red color like something new: http://www.bit-blot.com/forum/index.php?topic=1426.0
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 05:33:36 AM »

That reads Dec 17th, that's like 10 days ago. Still, it says v1.1.2 will be out soon and that it fixes some bug on ATI cards and Vista, so perhaps you should wait. I've v1.1.1 and Vista have experienced no problems, but I've an NVIDIA card rather than an ATI one.

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 05:54:09 AM »

Thanks again. Well, I'm not in a hurry Smiley I'l wait.

By the way, are there screenshots out there of your game, rinkuhero?

Still, would be good to read to see if there's anything I missed.

I think maybe it would be the contrary: you will find some things that I maybe I'll miss. Smiley
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 06:00:06 AM »

Do you mean the game I made the level editor for? Here's a oldish pic of the level editor (with the map overlay above it, but ignore that). Also ignore that it's only 18fps, I don't know why it's that low there, probably just a spike.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic