Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:06:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsTutorial: no-tile map editor like in Aquaria or Braid games
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Tutorial: no-tile map editor like in Aquaria or Braid games  (Read 19894 times)
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 06:54:23 AM »

Cool!

The one I'm making for the tutorial dosen't have gui / buttons. You have to control everything using keyboard / mouse. I'm trying to keep the code really simple, so people could extend it the way they prefer.

A shot of the wip:

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2008, 07:00:18 AM »

Ah! You made "Immortal Defense". I read bout it and looks cool. I'm going to give a try to it.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2008, 07:04:07 AM »

Immortal Defense also has a level editor, but those don't use "maps" per se, just paths. So the level editor for ID works much like a spline editor.

Image: http://pics.livejournal.com/rinku/pic/000qtqfw

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2008, 08:03:05 AM »

I made some prototypes in the past using splines. But never used them ingame yet.
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2008, 12:13:50 PM »

WIP [9 hours of total work]

BackDrops
 (x) Translation
 (x) Rotation
 (x) Scaling
 (x) Transparency
 (x) Mirroring
 (x) Tiling
 (x) Layers
 (x) Z ordering inside each layer
 Parallax scrolling
 Morphing effects
 (x) Tinting
Camera
 (x) Zoom
 (x) Movements
IO
 Export XML
 Import XML

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 02:30:54 AM by Loover » Logged
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2009, 04:51:07 AM »

The editor is finished. Now I'm going to start to write the tutorial.

In the screenshot you can see two levels of parallax. The parallax is afected by the camera movement and camera zoom. The effect of zooming is quite impressive Tongue

The sprites used are from lostgarden.com. I don't have my Aquaria version yet. Problems with Plimus Sad

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009, 05:18:06 PM »

Last screenshot. Next post, the tutorial. I think it would be finished in two days. I'm trying to make it easier to understand, but it's a hard task.

How impresive is Derek Yu's art! Thank you very much again for letting me to use it!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 06:42:53 PM by Loover » Logged
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 03:52:40 AM »

40 hours for doing this! PUF!

I hope it would be useful for some of you! Derek, Alec, thank you very much again  Beer!

http://gametuto.com/in-game-c-map-editor-tutorial-with-indielib-engine-that-dosent-use-tiles-but-pieced-images-like-in-braid-or-aquaria-games/

FEEDBACK! Please, I'm not English speaker, if you see any mistakes (I'm sure I have a lot) could you report them here? Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 05:17:36 AM by Loover » Logged
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 08:46:49 PM »

I enjoyed reading this, even though it is a bit nitty-gritty and language/library specific for my tastes (I'm not a c++ coder, so all the code was over my head). Reading it does make me want to build a similar engine in Actionscript though!

I didn't notice any issues with the english, except that once you referred to IndieLib as 'him', which made me think of anthropomorphic graphics libraries which was cute enough that you shouldn't fix.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 03:38:03 AM »

This is great, and especially helpful that you included the video. I have some interests in this sort of technique, and I've previously done tests with producing things in such a manner.

There are some serious challenges with producing appropriate artwork for a method such as this, and Aquaria manages this perfectly. That said, you also have to be respectful of how the artwork gets used, and some pieces may only have a small threshold of how much they can be rotated or scaled before it harms the illusion.

twitter: @docky
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 07:03:08 PM »

I haven't read through this thing yet, but I just wanted to say you did an awful lot of work for this and it is very much appreciated.  Gentleman
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2009, 07:11:24 AM »

Thank you for you appreciative comments Smiley The really encourage me in order to keep working in more tutorials.

I didn't notice any issues with the english, except that once you referred to IndieLib as 'him', which made me think of anthropomorphic graphics libraries which was cute enough that you shouldn't fix.

Haha, I love "him" so much.

There are some serious challenges with producing appropriate artwork for a method such as this, and Aquaria manages this perfectly. That said, you also have to be respectful of how the artwork gets used, and some pieces may only have a small threshold of how much they can be rotated or scaled before it harms the illusion.

That's true. In fact I tried myself to render some 3d sprites myself, but they were looking quite awful (you can see them in the first screenshot). You really need a great artist for this kind of map system.

I haven't read through this thing yet, but I just wanted to say you did an awful lot of work for this and it is very much appreciated.

Thank you! In fact, I thought this tutorial was going to be really useful for lot of people, but looking at Google Analytics, I realized that the tetris tutorial was by far a lot more visited. I suppose this tutorial is too much concrete, that only few people may e interested in, and Tetris is something more general, that quite lot of beginners are looking for.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 07:20:37 AM by Loover » Logged
J.G. Martins
Level 2

AKA anvilfolk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2009, 11:31:07 AM »

hey loover! i'm starting with opengl to write a 3d renderer for my engine, maybe we could try to make an opengl renderer for indielib?

Loover, what are you waiting for!? Kiss

Also, it seems like a great tutorial! Don't really have the time to look at it now, but I love these tutorials that do not deal directly with game code Smiley

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" cried the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But iron, cold iron, is the master of them all."
--- Rudyard Kipling
mirosurabu
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2009, 12:31:42 PM »

That's some good work. Beer! Never used that map style, the method itself is something relatively new to me.

And drawed, I think, should be drew. Grin
Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2009, 08:04:54 AM »

And drawed, I think, should be drew.

Ups! Thanks! Fixed.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic