Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:58:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDead Awake - Rougelike/Hardcore/PixelArt - Feedback Wanted!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Dead Awake - Rougelike/Hardcore/PixelArt - Feedback Wanted!  (Read 11088 times)
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2014, 01:00:55 PM »

I'm working in the game development business as a artist and have always found programing interesting, especially if I could combine my art skills with code and make a game of my own. So here goes, a artist learning to use Unity scripting to make my own game. I have built a simple prototype and will post development here as I go along. Everything so far I have scriptet myself.

Dead Awake - A top down arcade, permadeath shooter.
The player wakes up in a cryo chamber 5 levels down in a secret research facility and finds the facility overrun by zombies. Survive, loot and don't get f**k'n bit. One bite and you will have to restart all over.

Features completed:
• Basic controls
• Enemies with a simple avoidance AI, AI states, Line of Sight and attack
• Randomized enemy spawns per room
• Melee weapons with speed, durability, damage and range
• Ranged weapons with durability, fire modes, clips, reload times, spread etc
• Loot Pickup, Weapons, Ammo
• Weapon Unequip/throw out
• Interactable doors
• Lootable containers and enemy loot drops
• Intro Sequence
• Elevator Sequence (level change)
• Weapon types and ammo types
• Prodecedural lauout of floors

Upcoming features:
• Enemy types
• Animations for Player and Enemies
• Outro/End Sequence

I have uploaded a web build so everyone can try the game during development. So far the floors are simply mockups and there isn't any end to the game yet.

Play Unity Web Prototype

Control Scheme:
W,A,S,D = Move
Mouse 1 = Melee Attack
Mouse 2 = Aim Ranged Weapon
Mouse 2 + 1 = Fire Ranged Weapon
F = Interact with Doors
R = Reload Ranged Weapon
Q = Throw Melee Weapon
Q + Mouse 2 = Throw Ranged Weapon
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 12:23:49 PM by Zilk » Logged
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 01:23:08 PM »

Ohh, can anyone give a shoutout if you can play the html build? Switched to the 4.6 beta to try out the new UI system and noticed it said Unity 4.6 beta in the web player.
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 04:38:01 AM »

Switched back to Unity 4.3 and NGUI instead of Unity GUI. Got a bug in the intro though with the intro flickering in one frame, must say that I kinda hate the new mechanim animation system. So much trouble to just get a animation to play.

Elevator ride between floors is working though :D

New version here with minor bugfixes
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:45:25 PM by Zilk » Logged
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 06:11:44 AM »

I don't really get it, I tried it out and enemies just kind of ran into my knife and then stopped .. sometimes they ran into it and slowly died. 
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 06:19:30 AM »

Since I don't have any animations yet the knife just sits there, so you use Mouse1 to attack with it (even if it doesn't really show yet  Well, hello there! ). Also the enemies stop in front of you and "attack" but yet again, no animations.

Hopefully everything will come together with some simple tutorial hints during the first start and animations for the character and enemies.

Started designing the ingame UI, still can't decide if I should have a text to show bullets left in mag or just go hardcore and have a click sound when the mag is empty without any texts for it.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:47:24 PM by Zilk » Logged
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 06:08:44 AM »

I implemented the UI today with indications for reload, weapon breaks, pickups, ammo in inventory and also a few helpful control hints during the first playthrough.

Hopefully the game is a little more understandable now. Next I will add the correct UI for interactions and mouse over on lootable objects.

Try it out here
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:36:44 AM by Zilk » Logged
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 01:19:51 PM »

Tonight I started designing the mouse over UI for loot. The idea is to give the player a easy way to identify lootable objects and compare them to whats currently equipped.

The image shows the knife and it has +2 better damage and +5 better durability. For ranged weapons is also shows the fire mode and ammo type above. Yeah, the shield is a bad icon for durability but I couldn't think of anything better. Any ideas?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:48:01 PM by Zilk » Logged
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 12:36:00 AM »

I added a animation for the mouse over UI for loot. Still haven't implemented it to happen when moving the mouse over items but I'll maybe get time for that today.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:48:36 PM by Zilk » Logged
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 12:08:48 PM »

I added the mouse over UI for loot today. Now it shows the ammo type, fire mode, durability and damage. And it is always compared to what the player has equipped right now so it's easy to fast determine if a weapon is better or worse than the one equipped.

Still haven't gotten awesome at this gif thingy but yeah, try the web build instead Wink

Play latest version HERE

(I feel like a mad man talking to himself over here, nobody got anything to say?  Crazy)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:48:48 PM by Zilk » Logged
erebusman
Level 2

no one of consequence

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 12:40:45 PM »

Looks interesting so far, I like your art style.

I noticed you said you were using Unity 4.6 beta for GUI then swapped back .. was it that bad overall? Or just one bug made the difference?  I'm quite curious on how much more difficult you were finding it to work with over NGUI?

Infernohawke Entertainment
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 12:48:10 PM »

Thanks!

I switched back because the ui system felt unfinished and was quite buggy. I was controlling the UI with animations and they didn't reset correctly when playing the animations again on a restart. It is a beta so it will hopefully be a lot better on release, but for now I felt that NGUI was a better choice even though the new system is really similar. Didn't take many minutes to understand how it worked.

However Mechanim had some bugfixes that I miss in 4.3 so give and take I guess Wink
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 12:16:26 AM »

I added muzzle flashes and shell casings. Nothing to fancy, just looks a lot more interesting when you fire Wink

Try game alpha here
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:49:07 PM by Zilk » Logged
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 05:15:12 AM »

I fixed some bugs with the AI and UI today. And just for shits and giggles I added blood puddles from dead enemies as well as boot tracks when walking through them Wink

Latest build playable here

I still suck at making gif's, anyone got any good tutorial to get a smoother result. They either gets crazy fast or slow and choppy.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:49:30 PM by Zilk » Logged
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 11:37:53 AM »

A friend told me to add locks that can only be shot open to the lootable lockers so I fixed that tonight. Gives a fun dynamic to the loot since you have to waste some ammo to get them open.

Web Demo

Anyone tried it? Anyone?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:49:52 PM by Zilk » Logged
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 02:21:15 AM »

I started adding some more environment props etc and building some more rooms for the first floor. Will see if I can't figure out a way to procedurally place rooms for each floor so there is different layouts each time you play.

Will make the crates lootable as well, can't have crates without being able to smash them! :D

Anyone know of any good place to store images, photobucket started complaining I use to much traffic.

Play the alpha in browser here
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:50:07 PM by Zilk » Logged
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 04:45:55 AM »

I just made some adjustments to the Enemy AI real quick. I played some and got pissed that they were so bloody stupid...
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 06:58:37 AM »

Made the boxes lootable, the metal boxes can be opened and the crates opens when attacked. The destroyed boxes are mockup so far, will make them look better and add some animation/particle when they break.

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 07:55:12 AM »

use imgur for images.

tried the demo, lighting is nice, but the character movement feels very sluggish, it's like I'm playing a snail, not a man-creature trying to survive, heh.
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 09:48:19 AM »

Thanks for playing!

I'll increase speed a bit and make the enemies faster as well. Don't want the player to be faster than the enemies Wink
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 11:35:31 AM »

I figured out how to make each room fade in when opening doors so I added that. It's a lot more fun now when you don't know how dangerous the next room is.

Also I'll switch all images over to imgur tomorrow since photobucket is over limit.

The game breaks when switching floors since only the first floor has the new fade so I'll put up a new playable version later.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic