Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 02:09:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDead Awake - Rougelike/Hardcore/PixelArt - Feedback Wanted!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Dead Awake - Rougelike/Hardcore/PixelArt - Feedback Wanted!  (Read 11089 times)
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 05:51:36 AM »

I have changed around the perspective some today. Before I had the walls always leaning out from the room and the props at an angle and the characters straight top down.

This caused some headaches with so many different perspectives. I changed it so the walls are always at an angle as well. The Vertical walls have both sides visible to make doors clearer.

I also added an SMG and you can pick it up in the last room (to throw the gun hold mouse 2 and press q)

New version here
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 06:59:10 AM by Zilk » Logged
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 12:10:55 PM »

Added mousecursors for default, melee equipped, aiming, out of ammo and reloading. It's simple and works great to tell the player what's going on. Also fixed some minor bugs.

Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 02:46:57 PM »

So I added larger ammo packs today and therefor had to fix loot drop chances. I haven't tested it 100% but it seem to work.

Also added a SMG to the second room to use the new extra bullets Wink

Play the alpha here
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 12:24:39 PM »

I added all the ammo types Dead Awake is gonna have in all the different loot sizes today.
Also fixed the loot system since I needed a rarity drop chance, so now different sizes of loots are dropped, added to inventory and presented on the UI.

Also noticed that it was quite difficult to see what different weapons used etc. So I faded down ammo that weren't currently used by the equipped weapon and added a highlight to the correct ammo when moving mouse over loot in the world.

A playable version can be found here. It only has one floor so far but I'll add more later on.
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 02:34:47 PM »

Now all weapon systems are in order with ammo so I made a sawed off shotgun, no zombie game without a sawed off! :D

Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 05:18:08 AM »

I added the AK47 and finished the Sawed Off sprite. Also noticed that my enemy AI was expensive as s**t so I optimized it with 400%, was doing some really stupid stuffs in that script :D

I'm thinking of adding a secondary ranged slot so the player can switch between two ranged weapons. Noticed that it kinda sucks when you have to throw out a great weapon because you're out of ammo and have to switch weapon.
pottering
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 01:24:44 PM »

i like how the gun pops out in the middle with no regards to shitty pseudo-realism
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 01:27:54 PM »

Haha, I will add animations to the characters later on. Mostly to make things clearer, now attacks from enemies and such are really unclear to the player.
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2014, 04:55:58 AM »

I designed and scripted the functionality for Security Pad UI that is going to be used for locked doors.

The idea is to have some rooms locked that contain awesome loot but require a keycode to open. The keycode is found on a random enemy on the same floor. So it will require some exploration and hunting to find the codes.

Now I only have to make lockable doors and bring up the UI when pressed and figure out a way to decide what enemy to drop the codes Wink
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2014, 02:23:01 PM »

Security Codes for doors are integrated and working. The code gets generated each restart at random and the door unlocks when the player inputs the correct code.

Next is to put these codes on random enemies on the floor and have them drop it when they die.
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 01:41:57 PM »

Tonight I fixed so enemies drop PDA's that can contain story elements or security codes for doors on the current floor.

The codes are stored and displayed in the security pad UI so it's simple to see what codes the player has found.

Have also fixed some other stuffs like lights that can be destroyed and such..

Try the latest version HERE

PS. Still only one floor so the elevator doesn't do anything...
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2014, 01:30:14 PM »

I have been working on a procedural layout generator for each floor and I got the first version "playable" today. Still has a bunch of bugs and need some polish before I can post a version with it but it's starting to look promising!

It was the most challenging feature yet and I'm real proud that I even got it half-working :D
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2014, 03:08:30 PM »

Got the first playable version with procedural floor layouts working! Still some kinks but should be solveable.

Heres three different layouts that got generated. It only builds to the right since I haven't finised all room types and I have no rooms with exits to the left yet Wink Will fix some more rooms tomorrow and see how it turns out.

Generation takes about 1-2 seconds right now and runs on the fly.

Play the version with procedural floor layouts HERE
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2014, 02:08:51 PM »

So I fixed some bugs in the generation, optimized some scripts (the enemyAI was sucking the life out of my CPU when generating large levels). Below is a gif where I generate some different layouts in a floor size of 40 rooms.

There is still a big freeze when all the rooms get activated but I might be able to solve that later on.

Will fix some features I have planned now such as two slots for ranged weapons, a health indicator, more melee weapons and also the ability to fight with your hands.

Latest version playable HERE

edit: i noticed a bug when recording the gif, seems that rooms gets added over the intro room. This doesn't happen in the game, just used the wrong function when capturing to gif Wink
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2014, 12:15:52 PM »

I didn't like that players always had to throw away cool guns because they didn't have enough ammo so today I added two slots for ranged weapons.

To switch between weapons use TAB. I need to think about the controls and improve the "tutorial" some day but untill then here are the control scheme:

Mouse 1: Melee Attack
Mouse 2 (hold): Aim Ranged Weapon
Mouse 2 + 1: Fire ranged Weapon

F: Interact
Q: Throw Melee Weapon
Q + Mouse 2: Throw Ranged Weapon
TAB: Switch Ranged Weapon

Latest version playable HERE

Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2014, 02:00:19 AM »

"Finished" support for multiple floors with procedural generation. I have some issues as listed below but I'll sort those out later on.

Bugs:
• Crash at last floor (need to add outro room and sequence)
• All elevators say that they are at floor 1
• Elevator doors flicker when generating next floor and can be opened before the elevator arrives.

PLAY IT HERE
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2014, 12:22:35 PM »

I added a highlight to lootable objects to make them more visible. Also added the first melee weapon the player will get, a screwdriver.. Tough luck..

Feedback is wanted so if you have a few minutes please play the game and tell me what sucks and what doesn't :D
Latest version playable in browser HERE
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 11:25:43 PM by Zilk » Logged
Howard Day
Level 1

Huge fan of spaceships and exposions.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »

It's really a neat game. I like the atmosphere and the way you've got a lot of animation polish going on. One area that could do with some improvement is is the big lockers - the door animation feels really awkward.
Also, as I am walking around ,it's quite difficult to tell which areas are traversable or not. Elevation changes are difficult to see as well - the idea that the gun and screwdriver are sitting on a table never really registered until I looked at the last screenshot. Maybe adding a nice dark shadow underneath would work?
The game camera seems to be coming from the side, a bit, but all the characters are completely top-down. you might want to re-consider this, and it makes the game feel completely disconnected from the players avatar.

Anyhow, please keep up the good work, and maybe check your links when you post - the one in the most recent update leads to: http://www."http.com//www.luddeliten.se/DeadAwake/Web.html" Which is not what you want, I suspect. :D

Main Art guy on Wings of St Nazaire, here's our Devlog, and my Personal Website. SPACESHIP!
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2014, 11:34:07 PM »

Thanks for playing and the great feedback!

1. I'll see if I can improve the locker animations, maybe just make them into a sprite sheet instead of rotating the door as it's done now. It sure looks a little awkward.
2. Yeah, the elevation issue is something I have been working on to figure out. Might just skip elevation in floor height and sort out the table issue instead.
3. All characters are mockup as of now and I will make them animated in the same perspective as the props. I have just been stalling in fixing it since I hate drawing and animating characters ;P
4. I fixed the link, stupid mistake. I usually click them but I most have been tired.

A question, I know I need to improve the intro with better control tutorial/hints but did the controls themselves feel natural?
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2014, 02:12:21 PM »

Changed my mind about the art and started changing the game to pure top down instead. Solves a lot of headache and I kind of like it better.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic