Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:06:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDead Awake - Rougelike/Hardcore/PixelArt - Feedback Wanted!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Dead Awake - Rougelike/Hardcore/PixelArt - Feedback Wanted!  (Read 11086 times)
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2014, 12:51:47 PM »

Have continued on changing the art to top down. Only the door and elevator left to change then everything is fixed. Also tried adding a line of sight effect.

No playable demo of this since all the other rooms than the start room are f****ed up and needs fixing.

Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2014, 11:12:37 PM »

Fixed all rooms to work with the new pure top down art and remade the doors. Still have to redesign the elevators and fix some offset issues in the floor generation.

Although it is playable so try it out  HERE
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:38:31 AM by Zilk » Logged
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2014, 01:27:20 AM »

Found some of the s**tload of bugs and got them fixed. The floor generation is working a lot better now. Still gotta fix that there is two doors when going up a floor and leaving the elevator.

Although it is playable so try it out  HERE
HellaciousPuppy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2014, 03:47:13 AM »

Pretty cool man. Got some really neat lighting going on. Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Beer!

Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2014, 10:20:33 PM »

This weekend I fixed a lot of bugs and also finally got all art switched to pure top down view. Next is getting a vertical slice going with all 5 floors working correctly and a mockup "end scene" when reaching the exit on the 5th floor.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2014, 10:40:08 PM »

At work so I can't try this out, but it looks very nice! Will give it a spin later!
X-Tender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2014, 11:06:24 PM »

Are you using Unity PRO for the Shadow / View or a Plugin?

Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2014, 11:26:45 PM »

I am using Unity Pro but the view occlusion is made with this plugin and a inverted light. Actually works really well.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/2d-mesh-based-volumetric-lights.142532/page-1
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2014, 01:32:50 PM »

Have been smashing bugs these last few days, seem to finally have smashed the bug that made everything go to hell with the generator after dying once and restarting. Now the game is playable up to Floor 5 where it will crash when activating the elevator.

Mockup end scene next!

Still have a lot of bugs left but give it a go HERE
jesseb
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2014, 01:50:51 PM »

Looks cool, but when I tried to play the latest webplayer build, clicking the mouse made me unable to move, though I could still rotate. I tried clicking back on the play window but it did nothing.  Shocked
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2014, 12:09:27 AM »

I have had this issue before, believe it is the Unity Webplayer that is causing trouble. Are you using Chrome? Try using Firefox and it often works better.. Annoying as hell, anyone else stumbled upon this?
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2014, 02:20:46 PM »

I fixed the double door issue with elevators this evening. There are a few polish bugs such as showing the correct level numbers in the elevator and auto-opening the door on arrival but I'll leave that for later.

It can as always be played HERE

Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2014, 10:41:49 PM »

I still have a lot of things to do but I thought it could be nice for everyone too see where I'm headed. So here is some upcoming features I'm gonna tackle next in somewhat organized order. I'm currently working with the final room and mockup game ending.

• Final room with mockup game ending
  • Healthbar system with 4 bars = 4 hits
  • Healthkits to heal player
  • Switch bullets to use raycasts instead of physics to avoid misses
  • Add hands as unequipped melee weapon
  • Main character and animations
  • Enemy characters and animations
  • More variation to rooms and floors
  • Improved intro and control scheme tutorials
  • More weapons both melee and ranged
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2014, 01:42:26 AM »

Just had a bit of a play, controls are a touch difficult with a laptop + trackpad, but looks really good. Thought the doors weren't too obvious, maybe you could add a helper or radar to show the dungeon structure (including doors)

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2014, 02:12:29 AM »

I have thought about that but I don't know if I really want that feature. I want the player to feel a little lost.. If it gets out of hand at higher floors I'll consider it again though.

Thanks for playing Smiley
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2014, 02:21:46 AM »

I adore the lighting, how have you achieved such wonderful palettes? Do you have a specific approach?

Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2014, 03:14:06 AM »

JctWood: Thanks! Just a lot of testing and the idea to keep the floor and wall tiles quite greyish and everything else with strong colors. I also use a color correction after effect on the camera to tweak everything a little. I could post some textures tonight and maybe do a little step by step to how it all adds together.

I have been thinking about the controls, they seem to be troublesome to understand for new players. Anyone got any suggestions for control scheme? I could go Miami Hotline and skip the aim and just have a button to switch between weapons.

Ideas and suggestions would be awesome, give it a go and see if you understand the controls and make a suggestion on how you would want them.

Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2014, 01:04:12 PM »

Here is a quick animation showing off the render passes used to achieve the art style. Hope you guys like it!
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2014, 01:06:34 PM »

Thanks, that is very insightful!

Zilk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2014, 04:04:43 AM »

A guy from the Unity forum made this let's play video, awesome :D

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print