Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411426 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:58:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJotun, a hand-drawn action-exploration game set in Norse mythology
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Jotun, a hand-drawn action-exploration game set in Norse mythology  (Read 13207 times)
will72
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2014, 07:55:08 AM »

Hope everyone has a great #screenshotsaturday !

What could these magical runes be?  Wink
Birkeman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 08:13:48 AM »

I'm am not an animator but I think the way her pelt/cape and hair was flowing in the wind for the trailer and in the run cycle looked a bit weird, like the bear pelt was lighter than her hair. The rest of the animation and the general design of the characters though is spot on.

As a Dane that often jokes he moved to the UK only to uphold the viking traditions of plundering the countryside I really approve of this Tongue And for the runes, I sense a puzzle Wink
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »

This looks amazing! Really love the art style and the animation has a really lovely flow to it.

loudo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 10:14:04 AM »

Good luck with your project. You have nice and sleek animations. I would like to see more.

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2014, 05:54:21 AM »

How do you guys feel about indies using Kickstarter to get their project going?

That it's unleashed a whole new world of opportunities that couldn't have been possible beforehand.
On the other hand it's a one-shot world. I think, most of the successful projects seem to take this as granted a bit too much and start building a whole start-up dream with it... That's a common mistake here because this business model is against the ins and outs of Kickstarter itself. So unless the game can be developed into a somewhat franchise you should take this into account in your development and your expectations, that is, don't hire anyone and don't forget to foresee the cost of your "after-sales service" and the minor updates tail for instance.
Btw, talking about indie studios who do miss their opportunities, I've never understood what the hell 2d boy were waiting for to do thousands variations and sequels of World of Goo... Don't get it. Those guys are sat on a goldmine like Angry birds but they don't seem to want to develop their business out of it.

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
will72
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »

I'm am not an animator but I think the way her pelt/cape and hair was flowing in the wind for the trailer and in the run cycle looked a bit weird, like the bear pelt was lighter than her hair. The rest of the animation and the general design of the characters though is spot on.

As a Dane that often jokes he moved to the UK only to uphold the viking traditions of plundering the countryside I really approve of this Tongue And for the runes, I sense a puzzle Wink

Thanks for the feedback, I'll pass it on to Alex!

Good luck with your plundering!  ZEL Link
will72
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2014, 07:40:47 PM »

Btw, talking about indie studios who do miss their opportunities, I've never understood what the hell 2d boy were waiting for to do thousands variations and sequels of World of Goo... Don't get it. Those guys are sat on a goldmine like Angry birds but they don't seem to want to develop their business out of it.

I'm not really aware of their situation, but there are a million reasons why a franchise could stop being developed. It is surprising that they haven't done more with it though...
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2014, 01:45:15 PM »

Well there must be a reason sure... as sure as they are (were?) sat on a goldmine with this concept. Smiley

Are you by any chance looking for a composer btw?

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 10:44:22 AM »

I feel like this is something I would back to make sure it got made.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 11:49:05 AM »

As someone said before, I think it helps so many amazing projects that might have never been realized get the support and push they need to happen. I've supported quite a few projects here that had Kickstarters (Heart & Slash, Rain World, Scraps, etc.), and it's great to see these developers be able to take their game and realize its full potential, build an fanbase in the process, and gain more exposure for their project

But on the other hand, I'm also maintaining the 2014 Kickstarter thread on NeoGAF and so many projects barely inch across the starting line. There seems to be a lot of luck involved in having a successful Kickstarter; yes, smart timing, building pre-campaign hype, having something that looks polished and interesting to show (rather than just concept art) all helps a campaign succeed, but so many campaigns never get the exposure and attention they need to get funding and reach backers. Really it still amazes me how games like Hyper Light Drifter, SuperHOT, Darkest Dungeon, and others can get fully funded in a day, while other equally promising projects struggle to cross that 100% goal.

I fully support developers using Kickstarter to make their indie project a reality, but it's also an all or nothing situation. Either you succeed or you don't. At the very least, you can gauge the public interest in your project, and use the campaign to build exposure. It helps to have a back-up plan if the campaign fails; devs shouldn't stake the future of their game on the success of a Kickstarter

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2014, 01:23:38 PM »

Christian, the factor luck is essential and has always been there... here it's public and open so you see it with your own eyes what was behind the curtain before. I believe it's always the same strategy to get what you want: reassessment and temerity.

Additionally there are real investors who are constantly keeping an eye here and having your project there, even if unfunded, definitely enlarges the visibility of your project. One thing to keep in mind as well.

Again, don't forget that you cannot rely on the success of a KS campaign to build a company. From the very beginning I'd suggest to scope the project as a one-shot stuff... Don't hire anyone, don't rent an office unless you really need it, plan the maintenance costs and already think of a financial way-out when things are over.
Then you see what happens once the game's released, only then.

will72
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 01:03:11 PM »

But on the other hand, I'm also maintaining the 2014 Kickstarter thread on NeoGAF and so many projects barely inch across the starting line.

Even inching across the finish line is worth it though if you can indeed cross it.
will72
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2014, 01:05:12 PM »

Are you by any chance looking for a composer btw?

Sorry, already have a friend of mine doing it  :/
will72
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2014, 07:04:35 PM »

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the great responses about Kickstarter! They're really appreciated!

I've been hard at work putting the Kickstarter campaign for Jotun together. I would really appreciate it if you took a look at my campaign page and told me what you thought of it. Any feedback helps and I would be really grateful!

For those who don't know, Jotun is an action-exploration game for PC and Mac that takes you on an epic journey through Viking purgatory.

Please take a look and tell me what you think! Any critique is good, be it with the text, the images, the rewards. I really want to hear what you think!

Here is the private preview link, please keep it to yourselves, since the campaign isn't live yet:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/682108903/754640221?token=fadcb6c8
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »

I think overall the project looks good, but I would consider showing how the combat works even if it's just mocked up or a pretty prototype of it Smiley

will72
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2014, 07:24:58 AM »

I think overall the project looks good, but I would consider showing how the combat works even if it's just mocked up or a pretty prototype of it Smiley

I recently added a section on combat, did you happen to read it? If so, do you think it's enough? Obviously, more would always be better, but I'm trying to find the minimum necessary amount of description for the page.
and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2014, 06:22:15 AM »

I recently added a section on combat, did you happen to read it? If so, do you think it's enough? Obviously, more would always be better, but I'm trying to find the minimum necessary amount of description for the page.

Ah, I meant in the video sorry! I can't remember if I read anything now  Huh?

How did the other feedback go? Any idea when you'll be launching the project?

will72
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2014, 02:30:12 PM »

The feedback has been amazing. It's just so important to get fresh eyeballs on the project  Blink

The biggest takeaways for me were that people loved what they saw, but wanted more, especially in terms of gameplay. I ended up adding a 100$ reward tier and whole section on gameplay. You can check out the updated page here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/682108903/754640221?token=16854c78

I'll be launching the campaign on July 21st at 8pm (EST). The campaign will be 31 days long, ending on August 22nd (Friday). I'm considering changing the campaign length to 30 days so that it would finish on the Thursday instead. Any thoughts?
will72
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2014, 06:04:35 PM »

Hey everyone!

After all these months, tons of feedback and a whole lot of excitement, we're ready to launch on Kickstarter! The campaign will be live on July 21st 8pm EST (Monday!)

Join our launch party  Toast Left Kiss Toast Right !

https://www.facebook.com/events/538667302904219/

You can also check out a preview of the campaign before it goes live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/682108903/754640221?token=16854c78

Thank you guys so much for your support so far and I hope to see you in purgatory!!!  Grin Grin Grin

Savick
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2014, 07:55:36 PM »

Christ, that's some nice art. Best of luck with this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic