Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:56:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThings that have never been done before...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Things that have never been done before...  (Read 41482 times)
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2008, 09:29:34 AM »

Reverse survival horror(since survival horror has been done to death). You play as a humanoid plant/fungus/animal and eventually machine alien hybrid. You feed off fear and human blood. Human blood regenerates you while fear makes you mutate(since it stimulates all of the electro chemical reactions in the body to make prey tastier). You can also graft stuff onto yourself to make you a more efficient killer. This can either take place on a quarantined military base or a spaceship.
Sounds like most games.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2008, 09:38:49 AM »

Someone in another forum suggested a sidescrolling sandbox game. I second this idea.
El Moppo
Level 0

Gronk! Gronk!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: December 31, 2008, 12:06:54 PM »

I have an idea!  Gentleman

A snake sim. Although, I have no idea why I should use the word "Sim"... Though. Anyway though.

You move the mouse left and right to move forwards.
You move the mouse faster or slower to move faster or slower.
You move the mouse up and / or down to raise or lower your head.
Click to snap your snakey head at little mice and other tasty rodents. Mostly mice though.

Although. How to turn? Wasd or Arrow Keys maybe? Or just aimlessly fly your wriggling body through the jungle overgrowth though?
lol.  :D
BeskarKomrk
« Reply #123 on: December 31, 2008, 04:03:57 PM »

I had an idea for a game that was based around the idea of linear gameplay vs. open world. Essentially, it was a FPS that started out as a regular shooter, like halo or half-life or whatever. However, all throughout the game there would be open doors or windows that you could go out and "escape" from the level. Then, the gameplay would completely transform into something in the vein of Far Cry 2, but in an urban setting. I actually had a half-assed story to go along with this idea, and i hope to make it real someday. The main problem I ran into, besides the actual gameplay and stuff, was conveying to the players that they could leave at any point without explicitly telling them that they could.

Within that game, I had the idea that there would come a pivotal point where your superior officer, standing next to you, was telling you to shoot someone. If you obeyed, you continued along the linear game or something. However, if you felt strongly against killing that person, you could shoot your superior in the face, kill him, and attempt to escape. The problem i ran into again was somehow conveying that there was a choice without explicitly saying what the choices or the consequences were.
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2008, 05:27:37 PM »

I'm not sure if this has been done before or not, but I'd like to see a fractal-based platformer.  There would be marked areas in the game where you would be able to shrink or grow so you could explore the fractal at various scales.

Sort of related to that, it seems that the most common (and in my opinion, fun) way to explore a 2D plane/world is through a sidescrolling platformer.  Can anyone think of ways that would be more fun or already are more fun to explore 2D space?  Right now, I'm too Tired to.
Doompuppet
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2008, 06:20:24 PM »

Although. How to turn? Wasd or Arrow Keys maybe? Or just aimlessly fly your wriggling body through the jungle overgrowth though?

If you have two mouse buttons, click and hold the left while moving mouse left or right, and instead of moving forward you rotate in that direction?

:B

Edit: How about this one - You play as the bottom man on a totem poll (literally) - and as you progress through the game, you find/free the rest of your friends, who stack ontop of your head. Each peice unlocks a new ability, and when you take damage, they can be destroyed.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 08:39:16 PM by Doompuppet » Logged
Natso
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2008, 08:43:12 PM »

i really like the idea of different places giving you diffferent things i think this could be applied to a collection type game and be really great! thats not what this topic is about though..

1. Take a world map with different colors depending on the surroundings. Forest, desert, snowy, lake, sea, mountain.
2. Make Pokemon clone game to Iphone
3. Profit

(Important!!! Rare Pokemon can only be found when on extremely high altitude on mount everest or on a plane over the Atlantic.)

Use gps systems and altitute calculation (unless gps can do that as well), would definitely be an interesting... thing to do...

- Natso

Home is where my power chord is.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2008, 10:04:14 PM »

Edit: How about this one - You play as the bottom man on a totem poll (literally) - and as you progress through the game, you find/free the rest of your friends, who stack ontop of your head. Each peice unlocks a new ability, and when you take damage, they can be destroyed.

This is kind of what the new Kirby game was going to do. You could stack allies on top of your head for different powers. However that was years ago and the game has been in devhell since then. If it ever comes out, I doubt it will still have that feature.

There's also something similar in Disgaea I believe.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2008, 10:32:27 PM »

I like the totem pole idea. Maybe sometimes you would have to be careful about which powers you select, because otherwise you would be too tall to fit into certain areas.

Okay, here's one:
Sticking pieces together / growing
We are a single sticky character block in a fairly open field of immovable non-sticky blocks. There are other sticky blocks throughout the field. When we come into contact with one, we merge with it, becoming bigger by one block. The new sticky block moves around with us.

The goal is to figure out a way to collect all blocks- it's possible to become a shape that prevents collecting certain blocks.

The game consists of a series of different levels, each of which begins with us controlling only a single block.

Code:
                          # # # #
# # #                     # x . #
# x #                     # . . #
# . #                     # . . #
# . # # # # # # # # # # # # . . #
# . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . #
# . . . . . . . . . . . . # . . #
# . . . . . . . x . . . . # x . #
# . . . . . . . . . . . . # # # #
# . . . . . . . . . . . . # # # #
# . # # . . . . # # # # . # . . #
# . x # . . . . #     # . . . . #
# . . # . . . . #     # x . . . #
# . . . . . . . #     # . . . . #
# # # # # . . . #     # # # # # #
        # . . . #               
        # . . . #               
      # # . . . # #             
      # x . . . x #             
      # # # # # # #   
El Moppo
Level 0

Gronk! Gronk!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: January 01, 2009, 09:48:11 AM »

If you have two mouse buttons, click and hold the left while moving mouse left or right, and instead of moving forward you rotate in that direction?

Ahhh! Tuché! I like it!

Smiley
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 01, 2009, 11:55:46 AM »

That would be awesome.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2009, 12:01:51 PM »

How about this one - You play as the bottom man on a totem poll (literally) - and as you progress through the game, you find/free the rest of your friends, who stack ontop of your head. Each peice unlocks a new ability, and when you take damage, they can be destroyed.

Head over Heels had some of that, but only with two characters.

Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2009, 02:58:18 PM »

Dunno if this has been tried, but I was thinking about conversation trees and the way that effectively they just lead to trying every single 'branch' until you get the information you need.

So I thought, how about if the person you were talking to also had a 'choice' with how they would reply to your own choice of dialogue? Obviously this leads to a much more complicated network of possibilities, but then I thought of honing it down into chunks of discussion points that could lead to a definitive outcome (maybe the result is they think you're an idiot).

This lead to the idea of an argument simulator, where at the beginning you are given some points of information, a viewpoint of some sort, then proceed to try and muscle another character (possibly controlled by another player given different information) into making them see your point of view. Kinda like a multiplayer Phoenix Wright but with less finger waggling.

Then I thought, we have IRC for that.

Last release: sync::routine
Doompuppet
« Reply #133 on: January 01, 2009, 08:18:01 PM »

An IRC simulator could be interesting. No need to worry about getting banned. Not perminently, at least - but maybe as a "Game Over" scenerio. Smiley

Speaking of simulations, what about Funeral Tycoon? :D Manage cemeteries, funeral services, etc. - keep the families happy and watch out for randomized zombie events that can wreck your plans! (Hint: Make sure to invest in enough groundskeepers to combat an undead horde.)

Ahhh! Tuché! I like it!

Smiley

Cool. Smiley Also, I should meantion I meant the right mouse button, not left. Brain failure on my part. D:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 08:28:56 PM by Doompuppet » Logged
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: January 01, 2009, 09:03:58 PM »

How about a video game version of TWG? One where alliances could be formed and lies propagated, genuine TIGSTWG style, randomly chosen wolves and townsfolk, toggle other roles like seer and such, and procedurally generate personalities and relationships between each participant. Then toss it all in a survival-horror/point+click adventure-styled wrapping.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 02, 2009, 12:46:34 AM »

I think it would be very hard to create convincing AI for TWG, so it would have to be online, I think. But there is still a lot of possibility there. I don't think many, if any, multiplayer games have explored deception to its full potential. The best example I can think of is the Spy in TF2, but he's really not very good at 'deceiving'. Nowadays most Spies use their cloak far more than their disguises because an experienced player can see through a disguise quite easily.

A long time ago when I used to just dream about games I knew I would never make (as opposed to dreaming about games and pretending I will make them one day  Tongue ) I planned out a multiplayer shooter with deception as a key element. The players would fight to defend themselves from AI enemies, but two or three of the players amongst them would be secretly commanding the AI and using their secret powers to undermine the heroes. The traitors would be able to imitate a normal player in every way, so the only way they could be caught would be if they were found using their powers.

However the more I considered this idea the more complex it became to solve various balancing issues, and in the end I decided it was pretty much unworkable unless you happen to be Valve or some shit.

KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 02, 2009, 07:03:06 AM »

A game where a lot the action takes part during a drug trip, giving an allergic reaction that makes the character stronger faster and all that jazz. The level enemies and such depends on where the trip happens. Different drugs (and combinations)give you different powers and abilities. Taking to much or a bad combination will get ou into teh hospital, thus all drugs will be gone and your mental health will deteriorate. If you lose your mind will start to slip away. When not in a drug trip you'll try to make money, get drugs outwit authorities or people you've ripped off (drug trip mode would probably be useful there), and try to sustain a social life. The game gets harder as you need more drugs Hand Money Right, more people will be after you and sustaining life with normal people gets harder.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2009, 05:11:15 AM »

I couldn't sleep, so I got up at 4:15 and wrote this down. Pardon me if this is slightly incoherent- I'll come back and edit tomorrow just in case. Embarrassed

Anyway the basic idea is that there's a three dimensional world with a variety of different creatures in it. For now I'm imagining an endless white plane, but it could be more complicated than that. The creatures that inhabit this world are somewhat abstract. They are all constructed out of several basic components. They have babies, and run around, and eat, and evolve over time.

There are a few types of basic components, out of which creatures can be made. This might be a fairly granular system, where everything is made out of a soup of 'atoms' with connections to their neighbors. It also seems possible to make creatures out of larger pieces, long struts and large lengths of contractile tissue.
  • Struts- fairly rigid, though breakable. These can be used for building up solid trusses.
  • Flexible joints- joints seem like they would be very useful for making structures like limbs. Perhaps all connections between struts are flexible by default, and they only become inflexible when they form a rigid framework. This might be a good system.
    A single point connection between two rigid structures would be a totally free ball and socket joint.
    A two point connection between two rigid structures would act as a hinge.
  • Muscle- these struts connect two points, but their length is variable. When triggered by nerves, they contract, pulling on whatever is connected to either end. Muscles could be used to power jointed limbs, or perhaps could be used to make soft-bodied creatures?
  • 'Nerves'- these connect two points, but are not structural (or maybe they are?). These carry signals between different structures. Nerves can be linked end to end to carry a signal to a distant part of a creature, across a joints, etc. All creature movement information is transmitted through nerves.
    • Nerves might be a more physical part of the world. They might be non-structural, but be run along limbs, through rigid sections, etc. much like wires or our nerves are.
    • Alternately, nerves might be more divorced from the physical structure of a creature. They might simply be a single, non-physical connection between a control structure and a muscle or other effector. They wouldn't need to be linked end to end to avoid joints, they could just run directly to a muscle anywhere on a creature. (This type of nerve could even be used to carry a signal between two physically unconnected creatures / structures

The nerves would be connected to control systems. The control systems might or might not be made of atoms themselves. It would be very appealing if they were, though, and everything was one self-consistent system. Creatures could be 'programmed' by connecting different types of control structures- oscillators, gates of different types, perhaps accelerometers, pressure sensors, eyes or ears.

Someone said I should check out Sodaplay, and it's pretty neat. I'd love to play with something like this in 3d.
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2009, 05:36:59 AM »

I couldn't sleep, so I got up at 4:15 and wrote this down. Pardon me if this is slightly incoherent- I'll come back and edit tomorrow just in case. Embarrassed

Anyway the basic idea is that there's a three dimensional world with a variety of different creatures in it. For now I'm imagining an endless white plane, but it could be more complicated than that. The creatures that inhabit this world are somewhat abstract. They are all constructed out of several basic components. They have babies, and run around, and eat, and evolve over time.

There are a few types of basic components, out of which creatures can be made. This might be a fairly granular system, where everything is made out of a soup of 'atoms' with connections to their neighbors. It also seems possible to make creatures out of larger pieces, long struts and large lengths of contractile tissue.
  • Struts- fairly rigid, though breakable. These can be used for building up solid trusses.
  • Flexible joints- joints seem like they would be very useful for making structures like limbs. Perhaps all connections between struts are flexible by default, and they only become inflexible when they form a rigid framework. This might be a good system.
    A single point connection between two rigid structures would be a totally free ball and socket joint.
    A two point connection between two rigid structures would act as a hinge.
  • Muscle- these struts connect two points, but their length is variable. When triggered by nerves, they contract, pulling on whatever is connected to either end. Muscles could be used to power jointed limbs, or perhaps could be used to make soft-bodied creatures?
  • 'Nerves'- these connect two points, but are not structural (or maybe they are?). These carry signals between different structures. Nerves can be linked end to end to carry a signal to a distant part of a creature, across a joints, etc. All creature movement information is transmitted through nerves.
    • Nerves might be a more physical part of the world. They might be non-structural, but be run along limbs, through rigid sections, etc. much like wires or our nerves are.
    • Alternately, nerves might be more divorced from the physical structure of a creature. They might simply be a single, non-physical connection between a control structure and a muscle or other effector. They wouldn't need to be linked end to end to avoid joints, they could just run directly to a muscle anywhere on a creature. (This type of nerve could even be used to carry a signal between two physically unconnected creatures / structures

The nerves would be connected to control systems. The control systems might or might not be made of atoms themselves. It would be very appealing if they were, though, and everything was one self-consistent system. Creatures could be 'programmed' by connecting different types of control structures- oscillators, gates of different types, perhaps accelerometers, pressure sensors, eyes or ears.

Someone said I should check out Sodaplay, and it's pretty neat. I'd love to play with something like this in 3d.

Sounds like Spore in more complex.  Noir

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2009, 05:50:11 AM »

I'm hesitant to announce my original ideas to the public since, they are by definition, original ideas, and therefore of high value.

Here's a Howard Aiken quote which might put you more at ease about sharing your ideas:

"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats."

It also might help to note that original games are seen a giant risk for the commercial games industry, and also pose some risk for indies.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic