Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 07:43:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThings that have never been done before...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Author Topic: Things that have never been done before...  (Read 41771 times)
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2009, 01:08:53 AM »

I haven't heard of that game, I'll have to check it out.

Have a look here and here.

Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 15, 2009, 02:56:42 AM »

An RPG with no numbers.  None.  No health, no mana, no str, dex or agi, no skill points, no levels.  The only numbers visible to the player would be the amount of money and items they have.  Everything would be visual, aural and descriptive cues.

Nice idea. A MMO game with no visible stats, and a focus on exploration and treasure hunting (no grinding, just looting). Also, permadeath. It would be awesome.

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
LazyWaffle
« Reply #182 on: December 15, 2009, 05:27:48 AM »

People should stop worrying about having original content that is completely new, and more on making a game that's actually fun to play.
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 15, 2009, 12:39:15 PM »

People should stop worrying about having original content that is completely new, and more on making a game that's actually fun to play.
Sometimes those are both the same. Playing the same thing all the time does get tedious and boring.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
cynical duck, the
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 15, 2009, 03:33:42 PM »

This isn't completely or anything, but an idea I had would be a platformer with a deeper fighting system than just a kick and spin (a la arcade fighters, or something.)  This falls right into the trap of "this.. except...", but the real 'meat and bones' would be in the story, which is about a drug addict trapped in an art museum dealing with his own twisted psyche, and the level design, with levels based on M.C. Escher or in which you have synthesizia, so the audio and visuals are reversed.   Stuff like that.

(PS: Where should I go from here?  I have some more ideas for this game, but I don't think its appropriate to post them on this forum, and it's more fleshed out then many of the things on the "pitch your idea" forum, so I don't know where to go from here.  Any ideas? Embarrassed
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: December 16, 2009, 12:15:07 PM »

Start making it?

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 16, 2009, 08:57:25 PM »

Edit: Nevermind, I'm replying to posts from LAST december.

-SirNiko
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:20:44 PM by SirNiko » Logged
Newbrof
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 18, 2009, 04:31:11 AM »

I have an idea for a game, where the player has to decide that he is done and has to go to the game over screen. Why should he want to do this? Because continuing the game will be harder and harder, so that he will decide: I stop now and submit my points (score).

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 18, 2009, 01:03:20 PM »

This has been done many times before, but this does not make it a bad idea.

Tower of Greed uses this model: the player must continue to climb to avoid falling behind and perishing. Every so often, and exit appears. Do you quit, or stay longer for a higher score?

Risk vs. Reward, a staple of good game design.

-SirNiko
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2009, 02:22:42 AM »

This has been done many times before, but this does not make it a bad idea.

Tower of Greed uses this model: the player must continue to climb to avoid falling behind and perishing. Every so often, and exit appears. Do you quit, or stay longer for a higher score?

Risk vs. Reward, a staple of good game design.

-SirNiko

That's not a bad idea, but this is the thread for things that haven't been done before.
Kren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 21, 2009, 10:33:28 AM »

hmm, I have been wondering, there are alot of topdown games.. how about a "bottomup" game?
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 21, 2009, 12:20:40 PM »

^ It'd be an upskirt perv's fantasy.

How about a game with this projection?:

I've seen a better picture of it (in a natural setting), but I couldn't find it.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: December 21, 2009, 01:24:09 PM »

there was a sonic game on the saturn that was cancelled that used something like that, iirc.

EDIT: yep, there is:

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 01:27:16 PM by Tanner‽ » Logged

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: December 21, 2009, 01:32:03 PM »

It looks like the title screen for World of Goo.

Kekskiller
« Reply #194 on: December 21, 2009, 01:52:21 PM »

I would really love to play a game like this. Also, the music in the video is gorgeous.
pgil
« Reply #195 on: December 21, 2009, 02:35:21 PM »

hmm, I have been wondering, there are alot of topdown games.. how about a "bottomup" game?

I'm pretty sure there were a couple of scenes like this in one of the Leisure Suit Larry games, but I can't find a screenshot of it.
Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 22, 2009, 12:08:36 AM »

there was a sonic game on the saturn that was cancelled that used something like that, iirc.

EDIT: yep, there is:

I reckon the projection would look cooler with a top-down camera, but that's just incredible. Especially that it was attempted 13 years ago.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 22, 2009, 08:13:42 AM »

That image makes me think of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

A game about substance abuse, where each level has a graphical style and control system that mirrors the substance in question, sort of like how F&LiLV used different camera techniques for each scene to match the characters' current influence?

-SirNiko
X3N
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 22, 2009, 01:42:48 PM »

That image makes me think of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

A game about substance abuse, where each level has a graphical style and control system that mirrors the substance in question, sort of like how F&LiLV used different camera techniques for each scene to match the characters' current influence?

-SirNiko

I'd swear there was a PS2 game which simulated the effects of various drugs. Can't remember the name.

EDIT

"Select the
drug in your inventory, then press R to use it. Congratulations, you're
officially high in a video game. After the effects wear off, talk to them."

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 01:46:00 PM by X3N » Logged

destiny is truth pre-op
Teddy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 28, 2009, 12:43:31 AM »

MMORPG which starts your character off as a child and basically as defenseless and dependent on others as children are.
I was planning a game like this, except it's not an MMO.  And you're a child for the whole game.  Most of the game would involve running errands, solving problems, etc, but in dangerous areas, you'd have to hire bodyguards to fight for you.  The few times you have to fight without a bodyguard, you'd have to find a clever way to defeat the enemy using the environment, cause you're too weak to just beat it up.

That's not the whole game of course.  I guess I can post it in this thread since I don't believe it's been done before.  But basically the game revolves around time, and you have to collect the "hours" of the day, which give you more parts of the day to play through. NPCs are in different positions, areas are opened or closed, etc, at different times of day.  It results in some interesting time-based puzzles, like someone forgetting to buy fruits, but the store's closed, so you need to go back earlier in the day to when it was open and buy it for them.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic