Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411418 Posts in 69362 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsDialogue Writers Needed for Superhero Mod Project
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dialogue Writers Needed for Superhero Mod Project  (Read 1429 times)
Arsonide
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2014, 07:32:17 AM »

So for the past five months, I've been working on a project. I've made a lot of progress collaborating with various communities. I'm collecting authentic lines of dialogue from various Marvel characters. Upon completion it'll be over 11,000 lines of dialogue for over 400 characters.

I currently have a living breathing simulation of the Marvel universe going on. The characters can jump between timelines, universes, dimensions, form supergroups, whatever. The characters have all the same powers and attributes as they do in the comics. It's a mod of a game called Comic Book Hero, and you can see it in action here:

The only problem is that they don't talk, and to have a truly immersive Marvel world, that has to change. The game itself has support for dialogue in many different situations, but due to the magnitude of how much dialogue would be required, nobody has attempted to add it for this project...until now.

It's not something I plan on selling or anything, it is a hobbyist project that will end up being a free mod for copyright reasons. The project is currently over one third complete.

The details are on the site, but to put it simply: it is a collaborative project that anybody can anonymously contribute to, so if you want to assist, you can contribute as much or as little as you like, but if you want attribution you will have to reply here so that I know who to attribute. Any help is definitely appreciated seeing as there is a lot of dialogue to go through. I do a lot of contributions myself.

Up until now, I have been using direct quotes from the comics, and that has gotten me about as far as I think it will get me. Any further progress will require original writing and/or roleplaying, which is why I am reaching out to some newer communities focused on those activities. Do keep in mind that I want each character to sound like they do in the comics. That means any accents, catch phrases, or mannerisms need to come across, which means that a minimal amount of research into a character should occur before contributing to him or her. The two places I generally check are the Marvel Wikia, which has a quotations page for each character, as well as general background, and Comic Vine, which has general background as well as an images section that you can usually find quotes on.

The project is located here: http://goo.gl/mr9E51

You will start on the "Readme" page, which has a lot more information about the project. If you want to see the work that's been done so far, or contribute more lines, you will have to select one of the pages along the bottom to find your character, as they are sorted alphabetically.

Again, if you do contribute, and want to eventually be credited, please leave a reply here so that I can do so. I will complete this project eventually, on my own if I have to, but any assistance means that I can do so faster. Thanks in advance.
Arsonide
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 03:19:10 AM »

I have collected a list of characters that I have no dialogue for, and I've made a form submission with those characters only, and on those characters I am only asking for the five most important lines of dialogue, as opposed to the full 20+.

I'm hoping this will help ease some of the intensity of the project, and focus the effort on where it is needed most.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/105M6-p9ZNm0rrCpAHu_NyVaI4_4qxhTRTzaWrBN07FU/viewform?usp=send_form

There is the form. I am also considering incentivizing submissions. I have a box of Marvel comics from the 90's incidentally, and might send those out to people that are submitting the most dialogue. I have no idea what they are worth though, so for now, just make sure you fill out that attribution box. At the very least it gets you into the credits, at most, you get a box of comics out of it.
Arsonide
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 06:37:07 AM »

I've still been working on this. For the moment I've been focusing exclusively on the S-T category as it is the largest, and keeping focused on one section means I can see visible progress.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic