Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:39:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs5 Minute Dungeon - 2D Metroidvania [Alpha demo available]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: 5 Minute Dungeon - 2D Metroidvania [Alpha demo available]  (Read 15846 times)
Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 09:37:11 AM »

Got tons of ideas last week, so I'm trying to implement them right now.

new walk animation:

you can get hit now:

and variable jump height, based on how long you press jump.

I changed the bat into a flying-blue-flaming skull, because the bat just looks too big and silly (I might change him a bit and put him in the bossrooms)
And there now is a goblin warrior:

I also added some gameplay elements. The first part(the part where you collect the gold) of the game now consists of multiple small levels that are linked to eachother in a random order, so every run should be different.
The idea is to make around 15-20 of these tiny levels, and have a lot variety in the amount of mobs and traps.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 09:56:22 AM »

Oh, huh, this is an interesting game idea. Seems simple and fun - good idea!

Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 01:50:28 PM »

I started working on a shop this week, I'm going to display every weapon in a weapon rack(like in castle crashers) and there is a little popup menu that shows the weapon strenght and cost.
This is also the start of the little town hub where you can buy helmets and weapons and just talk the random npc's.
Still need to come up with a decent background image.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 01:57:15 PM »

Cro, the game? Smiley
Canned Turkey
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 02:03:52 PM »

If your still going with the original idea, you might want to get more of a concrete design on what you want this game to be. Not as in "I want it to be 5 minutes of hardcore platformer action", but you should write out the areas, items, enemies, ext. For procedural games, it's all about content. My advice is to write a list of how each play session should be, what's in it, and secrets. Also, I don't think you should have a harder boss if the player collects more gold, especially of there's a shop. The player should have incentive to collect more gold.

Sorry for the long reply, just thought id give my two cents.
The game looks really good so far.
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 11:27:08 PM »

I really love your pixel art! Simple and effective! So cool!  Grin

Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 07:18:40 AM »

@zorg Cro was the inspiration yep Panda ,I'm not german tho, but most of his songs are alright.
@bombjack Thanks!
@Canned Turkey You're absolutely right about the bosses. I'm still thinking of a new sort of gameplay type. What I've so far come up with is: You get 2 minutes to survive and collect as much gold as possible. You'll have to collect a certain amount of gold at the end of 2 minutes and you'll unlock a new level. After every fifth level there will be a bossroom. Difficulty increases after every boss.
I'm also thinking of some sort of wave type gameplay, where you just battle endless waves of enemies, but this ofcourse can also be a gamemode within the game.
Still really need to figure this out, but for now I'm mostly working on the Town area and sprites.

Added parallax scrolling:

Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 04:05:57 AM »

I've really been thinking about the gameplay lately and inspired alot by Nuclear Throne, I've come up with some things.

Idea 1:
When the enter the dungeon you get spawned in a random room. You kill all the enemies in the room and progress to the next room and so on. In some rooms there will be treasure chests with either a new weapon or gold(when you get a weapon you equip it immediately). After completing 5 rooms you will be spawned in to a boss room, when killed this boss drops his current weapon and you can equip it. This gets you to level 2 and you will be spawned to the town and can start level 2 dungeon whenever you want.
With the gold earned in the dungeon you can buy new helmets in the town.(the weapon shop will dissappear)

Idea 2:
When you enter the dungeon a timer will be set to 2 minutes. You will be spawned in to a random small room and have to collect as much gold as you can and kill as much monsters as you can(monsters drop gold) when you leave a room, you will be spawned into a random other room. When the timer is at zero and you have collected a certain amount of gold, you will be sent to town and unlock level 2. after 5 levels you will be sent to a boss room, when killed drops gold. After every bosskill you the difficulty of the dungeon will increase. When you get killed you'll just spawn to town and have to start over. In town there will be a Weapon and Helmet shop.

I could really use some feedback, because I'm pretty much stuck right now and I can't really make any progress right now.

beeglebug
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 06:49:59 AM »

I prefer the idea without the hard time limit. I like the idea of having short 5 minute play sessions, but not the panic that comes with a permanent ticking clock.

Maybe you could keep both a weapon and armor shop in town to spend your gold in between dungeons, and make the bosses drop runes which modify the equipment instead. You could have slots on the helmets and swords and equip runes to them. I'm thinking things like flaming sword, speed boosts, double jump etc.

Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 03:25:55 AM »

Thanks, those are great suggestions.

I recently added a smooth camera that follows the player.
added dust when you land and walk.
made the first trap and just worked on cleaning the gamecode a bit.

I also made a quick title logo, but what I eventually want is a nice looking one, inspired by rogue legacy, chasm and such. Probably going to need to find an artist for that, because I'm pretty bad at art. But I'll look into that when the game is more done

aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 06:16:43 AM »

Wow, so simple yet so intriguing!
The pixel art looks really neat!

Thomas_
Level 0

https://twitter.com/DustbowlAGS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 12:17:29 PM »

Wow, so simple yet so intriguing!
The pixel art looks really neat!
+1
I follow!

Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2014, 09:02:07 AM »

@aanmatniekss
@atavismus

Thanks!

Here is a room transition I made today:

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2014, 11:31:34 PM »

I had some fun with the palette in one of your older screenshots, hope you don't mind!

Thomas_
Level 0

https://twitter.com/DustbowlAGS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2014, 10:43:42 AM »

Well, I don't mind, your the boss Wink
Still, I prefer grey stone. Smiley

Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2015, 10:12:02 AM »

Here is the first concept for a bossroom,
when the dragon wakes up, it breathes fire at you, you have to avoid the incoming fire projectiles by jumping up and down the floating platforms. When the dragon is done breathing fire, it goes for a short rest. This is when you strike him.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 09:16:24 AM »

man. thats a good camera.

Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2015, 11:40:10 AM »

Hey I put together an alpha demo.
Found here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/5-minute-dungeon/downloads/5-minute-dungeon-alpha-100
I could really use some feedback since it's the first time people other than me can play the game.

I'm also working on some new enemies, here's a progress pic of the Cyclop:

Canned Turkey
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2015, 12:24:13 PM »

Well I play it and get back to you, but I did notice you wrote "alpha 1.0.0"
shouldn't it be "alpha 0.0.1", as in release.beta.alpha?
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2015, 01:08:20 PM »

wow nerd alert lol

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic