Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:53:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs♜ Kingdom ♜
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: ♜ Kingdom ♜  (Read 80241 times)
lagdog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2015, 12:04:53 PM »

dang that looks nice : o
I have to ask tho, how come you need to pack your sprites tightly in the atlas, why not just use a separate texture?

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2015, 12:33:19 PM »

I like your results, controlling the actual destruction lines probably has some benefits. but if you have to do that for a lot of buildings, this sounds like a lot of work. did you ever check if an exception is actually raised by the sprite slicer plugin?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2015, 02:05:38 PM »

Automating the creation of the physics shapes is so awesome, great work mate Smiley Can you do it on a really complex object and tweet me an animated gif of it falling apart? Evil

aberrantmike
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2015, 04:16:20 PM »

cool, didn't realize your game had a devlog on tigs. progress is lookin good, commenting to sub.
noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2015, 05:22:17 AM »

dang that looks nice : o
I have to ask tho, how come you need to pack your sprites tightly in the atlas, why not just use a separate texture?

Because I use a lot of sprite with a lot of transparent pixels. For example, each "stone" of the crumbling title is put on an image that is as big as the entire title. This makes alignment easier, and it's not a waste because transparent pixels are "packed away" anyway.

But I just found this: http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Sprite-triangles.html . The uv coordinates of sprites on the atlas are available now! That opens up new options.

Check out twitter @noionl for regular updates
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2015, 08:20:53 AM »

I have trademarked the use of ♜rook bookends♜ and you will be hearing from my lawyer.

Good-looking game, though.

GregBTGS
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2015, 08:36:12 AM »

I have trademarked the use of ♜rook bookends♜ and you will be hearing from my lawyer.

Good-looking game, though.

Erm I don't think you can trademark a unicode? Especially as you don't own the rights too it.

Anyway great looking game I'll be keeping an eye out for this.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2015, 08:43:04 AM »

Greg, by quoting my ♜rook bookends♜ you have violated trademark law and will be hearing from my lawyers, I have two of them now.

Aki-at
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2015, 10:19:26 AM »

Wow I remember playing the original back on Newgrounds and loving it, I'm excited to see how this is going to come along!

CraigSnedeker
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2015, 02:43:52 PM »

Looks... beautiful...  Tears of Joy
Guildencrantz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2015, 10:27:20 AM »

Loved the original, can’t wait to get my hands on the sequel! The development posts/videos on here have been fascinating so far too.
sandfella
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2015, 11:19:42 AM »

Haven't played the original but the art here... just stunningly good  Coffee Those tiny details make a really smooth & polished looks.

alwex
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2015, 11:50:10 AM »

really nice looking graphics, I used exactly the same technics for the water rendering in my own game. I really think that mixing HD effect and pixel art style is a great thing  Hand Thumbs Up Left. Unity is a really great engine, I may give it a try one day. Keep doing the good work!

Follow us on playfield
noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2015, 08:15:10 AM »

I used exactly the same technics for the water rendering in my own game

Looks super neat! So how do you do the little white foamy bits on the water?

I worked on the knight animation today:

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2015, 08:28:08 AM »

Wow, the water and rigid body effects look awesome! But what is it with the "stepping" clouds? Hope, that's not there to stay! Wink

noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2015, 08:44:38 AM »

Wow, the water and rigid body effects look awesome! But what is it with the "stepping" clouds? Hope, that's not there to stay! Wink

Kingdom is actually rendered at the resolution of the sprite's pixels. In many games, sprites are magnified but the game is rendered at a high resolution so the sprites can move at 'subpixel' increments, but we cannot do that. The downside of that is that slow moving objects are affected by "parallax jiggles". There's an interesting conversation about those in the IRKALLA topic (and here).

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2015, 09:30:47 AM »

Kingdom is actually rendered at the resolution of the sprite's pixels. In many games, sprites are magnified but the game is rendered at a high resolution so the sprites can move at 'subpixel' increments, but we cannot do that. The downside of that is that slow moving objects are affected by "parallax jiggles". There's an interesting conversation about those in the IRKALLA topic (and here).

But maybe there's a solution that doesn't cheat and still looks nice? I'm thinking along the lines that a cloud consisting of 1000 pixels moving one pixel per second only looks like it's stepping because it's not moving *any* pixel for 59 frames (at 60hz) and then *all* pixels in the 60th. So why not move randomly selected ~17 pixels per frame? This will look a bit like dithering patterns but I'm almost sure you could get that right (considering the displacement magic you pulled for the water) and have another jawdropping fx.

noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2015, 04:50:49 PM »

it's not moving *any* pixel for 59 frames (at 60hz) and then *all* pixels in the 60th.

But did you consider the situation—that we have—where the cloud is only moving one pixel during that period?  Wink One pixel is the smallest step we can do but it's a relatively big step on screen.

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2015, 05:38:10 PM »

But did you consider the situation—that we have—where the cloud is only moving one pixel during that period?  Wink One pixel is the smallest step we can do but it's a relatively big step on screen.

Yes I did consider that. That's what I'm talking about! Smiley The one frame where the complete cloud moves by one pixel coordinate to the right while it appeared stationary in the dozen frames before and after - that's what makes it appear to not move continously but in steps. What I meant to suggest is that the one cloud sprite consists of hundreds of individual pixels and that you could consider moving a handfull of randomly picked pixel per frame so that you get the impression of continious slow motion. After a couple dozen frames all pixels will have moved one step. It wouldn't work for normal sprites but for clouds and similar fuzzy stuff it might work well... it's kinda like continous dithering.

noio
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2015, 09:14:51 AM »

What I meant to suggest is that the one cloud sprite consists of hundreds of individual pixels and that you could consider moving a handfull of randomly picked pixel per frame

Ah, got it! It might work, but it's a little tricky, since a sprite really does not consist of 'individual' pixels. But—in the same spirit—deforming the clouds somehow might make them appear to move smoother. You should prototype the idea Wink

On another note, doing some combinatorial banners. I might take a few requests for emblems, so shout out!  ..

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic