Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 01:02:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHardland - Sandbox action adventure RPG [Release Candidate]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Hardland - Sandbox action adventure RPG [Release Candidate]  (Read 61001 times)
Seaport
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2014, 09:39:32 PM »

This looks great, cool idea with your character model work flow

mft-dev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2014, 09:59:22 PM »

Beautiful.
bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2014, 11:58:39 PM »

wow! I can't wait to play it! Your game looks amazing.  Grin

spinaljack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2014, 05:13:12 AM »

Very impressive! Also a bit creepy in a children's fairy tales sort of way.
Love the little fox Smiley

Jarkko Vallius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2014, 05:37:34 AM »

That fox is all you need for financial success.  Toast Left

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2014, 05:46:40 AM »

Holy shit this looks pretty  Shocked

I'm curious about the progress in the game will work. Is it just a big sandbox like Minecraft or will it have quests and a story? Can it be finished?

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2014, 05:57:20 AM »

Super nice!

illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2014, 06:24:36 AM »

Man this is really pretty! I just want to walk around that world with the fox, seems fun to me  Gomez
Timo Vihola
Level 1

Hardland citizen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2014, 05:20:53 PM »

Development Update 24:

Quarry: It took a while to get the camera up there from the ground level :D

DeadAlienCult, Seaport, mft-dev, bombjack, spinaljack, Jarkko Vallius, Bombini, illugion Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Tuba: It doesn't have a story in the traditional sense that we would have cinematics or tell the player "you have to do this". I would say somewhere between Zelda 1 and Minecraft.

The long version:

Hardland does have a history. There are events which took place that you cannot change. There are characters who have left their mark on the world. For example you might find altars and statues of Fortuna. She was a human who defeated an Elder King a long time ago. Later a group called Warriors of Clover emerged and built those altars in her memory. They are places where travelers can rest and heal their wounds.

You start finding these bits of information about Hardland and why things are the way they are. You can decide what happens after you start playing. You can break the altars of worship, you can burn the city and kill everyone because you don't like Miners Town. Or you can help the villagers by keeping the city safe. There's an Elder King who rules over the whole kingdom. Will you try to help the dying king, do nothing at all or try to slay him is entirely up to you and that mission might be what would normally be called a main quest.

Often you might find that completing one quest makes another one impossible to complete. Example: The Witch might need Wizard's hand for a powerful spell but the town sheriff might ask you to kill the Witch instead.

Kill the Witch -> Reward from the Sheriff
Don't kill the Wizard -> No reward from the Witch
Kill the Wizard -> Witch gives you the spell but you get no reward from the Villagers

Prevent Goblins from attacking the Merchants -> Possible reward from the Merchants
Help the Goblins to attack the Merchants -> Possible reward from the Goblins

Super Mario 3d World level are mini "sandboxes" which are really fun to play. In many games you often see lousy minigames where you're completely changing mechanics and trying to make several smaller games inside a large game. (Captain Toad levels are the only exception in SM3DW and it wasn't a poker or snooker game inside Mario)

Here's an example from Super Mario 3d World: You can push that enemy into the pipes and it's a fun mechanic, so they have pipes on that stage: http://www.mariowiki.com/File:Rosalina6.jpg

Instead of disconnected small sandbox levels we want a large sandbox with many mini sandboxes inside of it.

The smaller sandboxes have a couple of big benefits:

1. It's technically much easier to simulate small area and limit the consequences. Police chases in Grand Theft Auto don't escalate to their true proportions for a reason - it would take an insane amount of time to create all the content for the full chain of events - let's say you do a bank heist and manage to escape, would FBI agents start investigating your case. Gathering evidence at the crime scene, searching houses etc. Sounds interesting on paper but we can continue that chain on and on without reaching "ok now we have realistic escalation".
Our goblins who attacked the merchant most likely won't go home and make food, then discuss politics and read a bedtime story to goblin children. We only do stuff that can be properly communicated with the basic interactions in the game.

2. It's easier to make many gameplay mechanics fun in a smaller setting. Let's say wood is a resource in your game and then you set a tree on fire and it burns down every tree on the planet because they all form a connecting path when the wind is right - it might be fun once but afterwards that world is ruined in terms of gameplay. If it's just one smaller forest which burns down that doesn't necessarily ruin the entire experience. Actually it might be worth burning to kill a few stronger enemies so it becomes a mechanic you can use repeatedly.

For gameplay clarity characters also do stuff their appearance and outfit hints at: Merchants move from town to town and sell stuff. What they sell is the subject of randomization, not who's doing the selling - the fox and pigs don't sell anything because it would be confusing.

And again it offers some fun gameplay mechanics:

Merchant 1 sells useless low value stuff and is armed to the teeth. Obviously not worth the risk.

Merchant 2 is armed to the teeth as well. He's someone who specializes in high value items and for evil player it might be worth waiting until Merchant 2 has left town (not to alert the town guards) and then kill and loot the treasures.

If pigs were selling high value stuff they would be easy to kill and the balance goes out the window right there. It's easier for a designer if things are as simple as they can be while offering fun combinations with their distinct abilities. So you have Merchant + Wolves in the same area instead of Merchant Wolves.

I could ramble about this subject for several hours but until we've got something concrete to show about it I'll shut up - we're still in the process of adding the basic fetch quest Smiley Inventory works ok but you can't do anything with that stuff yet except collect things. (and watch all the items spread all around you if someone kills you)

To spice up the long wall of text here's the fox again due to demand from Jarkko and illugion. This time with the procedural eye animation:

There's no bending when NPC's walk through the grass yet (that's why the pig isn't swaying the grass)

vv
Level 0

vv

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2014, 02:22:25 AM »

Goddamn, this looks better and better. Wouldn't even care for actual gameplay if I could just ride that pig for couple of hours exploring environment like this.
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2014, 02:40:47 AM »

Minigore is easily my favourite twin stick game on iOS and I have far too many games. I loved the sense of skills it evoked through such simple enemy designs. It would be incredible to play Hardland, as a fan of Minigore and a game developer.

jean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2014, 03:33:33 AM »

This game looks impressive ... I love your pixel concept versions just as much Smiley
Timo Vihola
Level 1

Hardland citizen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2014, 05:33:49 AM »

We have a twitch stream live again, Sampo starts sculpting in few minutes:
http://www.twitch.tv/mountainsheepstream

Timo Vihola
Level 1

Hardland citizen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2014, 11:13:26 AM »

Development Update 25:

vv: Something like this? Smiley

JctWood: Thanks a lot, hopefully we can manage to create a worthy successor!
jean: Thanks!

This is the creature Sampo sculpted during the stream:

Here's the pixel art in full scene:

Today we were working on the day & night cycles. Different landmarks can have their own unique weather conditions as well.

The clouds are 3d meshes in a particle system and they just scale in and out. One idea to make it look better is using morph targets to transform them slowly into different shapes and also change the spawned clouds according to weather. Big storm clouds in stormy places etc.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2014, 11:20:38 AM »

Oh god that last .gif is absolutely beautiful. I want to go there in an oculus rift and just live there forever watching the sun speed past.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2014, 11:22:04 AM »

I feel like the clouds clash with the other steam particles, they look a bit surreal in front of the steam coming out of the houses
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2014, 02:10:27 PM »

Tuba: It doesn't have a story in the traditional sense that we would have cinematics or tell the player "you have to do this". I would say somewhere between Zelda 1 and Minecraft.

The long version:

Thanks for the long text, till now I was thinking this was just a big sandbox game but you guys seem to be putting a lot of thinking on different types of gameplay, quests and overall stuff to keep the player engaged. The quest system sounds a bit like The Elder Scrolls to me, which is great cause I love those games!

Looking forward to this Smiley

vv
Level 0

vv

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2014, 06:12:25 AM »

Development Update 25:
vv: Something like this? Smiley

O___O Take my money.
Timo Vihola
Level 1

Hardland citizen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2014, 04:52:17 PM »

JctWood: Oculus Rift support shouldn't be too hard, we've already got first-person camera in the game and an Oculus Rift hanging around the office - now just waiting for the VR inspired programmer to appear Wink

Whiteclaws: Soft volumes like clouds are really tough to do well and we're still experimenting with the final look - there's some improvements in the latest version. Of the recent games I've played Destiny has really good looking sliding bitmap approach and on some tracks Mario Kart 8 has mesh based clouds which also look good and work well with deferred lighting. Both methods obviously have their own strengths & limitations. My favourite clouds are probably in The Witness:
http://the-witness.net/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/shot_2013.05.17__time_15_26_n02.png

Tuba: Basically plenty of structure to support the random craziness so it only goes out of control sometimes Smiley

Development Update 26:

Hardland pre-alpha version 3 has been sent to testers! The changelog since last version reads like this:

WHAT'S NEW: This update brings big improvements
         to physics performance! We switched physics engine
         from Bullet to nVidia PhysX.

You can also see the first iteration of town generation
         with villagers, chicken, pigs and guards inhabiting them.

We have added brand new main character Soldier.
         Animation system and all character animations have
         been improved a lot.

Other new features: New trees, day & night cycle,
         the first pass of level-of-detail system, better AI,
         crosshair has been added for ranged characters,
         procedurally animated character eyes and bending grass,
         more accurate damage modeling - the damage is caused
         exactly where the weapon hits.

To make the game look even more like an animated film
         we've added beautiful godrays, flares and improved
         the shading model.

This time the community vote is between Wolf and Bear, so let's hear 'em!

(chicken won against crow the last time)

Some gifs of the new version:

In the earlier GIF's you could see the foliage bending around the player. Now we've extended the procedural bending to cover objects and characters as well.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2014, 05:11:39 PM »

Also, that fence seems to be bending a little bit too much
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic