Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:58:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFritz - An Atmospheric WW1 Experience (Now on Kickstarter!)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Fritz - An Atmospheric WW1 Experience (Now on Kickstarter!)  (Read 21681 times)
madlynonce
Level 0

Mel & Dan

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2014, 03:01:00 AM »

Fritz

This project is an experiment in interactive storytelling, character development and atmosphere and how to keep the player engaged and motivated.

This game is about the daily routine in the Trenches of the First World War. You play as Fritz, a German soldier on the Western Front. Most of the gameplay is compromised of everyday activities like guard duty, getting food, talking to your fellow soldiers. Attacks are sparse, but deadly and challenging. The main aspect of the game is character development, both of Fritz and of his comrades. Each of them is shaped by interaction with others and the things they're going through. Your comrades can die practically randomly during attacks, but the longer they survive, and they closer they get to Fritz, the better their chances of survival as everyone helps each other.

Planned Main Gameplay Elements:
  • Dialogue with fellow soldiers
  • Daily routine
  • Battles with the French

Planned atmospheric Elements:
  • Soldiers with personality
  • Dialogue options
  • Interactive character development
  • Fritz's thoughts flashing on the screen.
  • Illess, Trauma, Hunger, all the unpleasant things
  • All of the above dynamically integrated and dependent on the situation and the player's actions.

And here a collection of impressions. Note that these still show British troops. We have since changed it to the French as the main enemy:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 10:57:43 AM by madlynonce » Logged

Our Devlog:
mihiic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 04:14:24 AM »

Wow I really like the art style! What platform(s) are you aiming for?
Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 12:16:46 PM »

Very promising idea.

With conflicts like the Battle of Verdun, cruelties of chemical warfare etc. there is an endless amount of sad dreadful stories to explore. I appreciate your humane approach to the topic.
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 01:08:57 PM »

Awesome graphics and there it is always good to see a ww1 game (being a bit of a ww1 geek).

Make sure you read and reread the memoirs of Jünger and Rommel.

And make sure you include many trench raids and patrols.
Derqs
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 02:15:04 PM »

Promising!, really like the pixelart style

Gueib
Level 1

don't be jealous of my boogie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 05:48:53 PM »

Really interested in see where this is going. Good luck on finding a programmer.
madlynonce
Level 0

Mel & Dan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 06:18:30 AM »

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback! I'm a little overwhelmed, I didn't expect this many responses!

Wow I really like the art style! What platform(s) are you aiming for?

The only platform we definitely want is PC/Windows. Everything else depends on what the programmer can and wants to do.

Awesome graphics and there it is always good to see a ww1 game (being a bit of a ww1 geek).

Make sure you read and reread the memoirs of Jünger and Rommel.

And make sure you include many trench raids and patrols.

Thank you for reminding me of trench raids; that was something that I didn't think of at all! That's a very good idea to make guard duty more suspenseful.
And for your other comment, yes, we're both researching historical (especially contemporary) sources. Memoirs are an important part of that. I didn't think of Jünger and Rommel, but that's definitely something I will look into.

And just to provide something to look at, too, here are some running animations I'm currently working on, that also show off the French this time:  Smiley

-Dan
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 06:23:52 AM by madlynonce » Logged

Our Devlog:
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 08:17:16 PM »

Looking good, keep up the work!  Smiley
Ticebilla
Level 0

Do Stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 09:39:11 PM »

This looks pretty damn awesome. Hopefully you find a programmer, though it shouldn't be too hard with how awesome of an idea/visual style you have going on, thus far.

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 11:47:20 PM »

Lookin spiffy.

K1lo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 03:08:46 AM »

Love the look of this!

JeremiahPena
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 07:33:53 AM »

Looking very cool indeed. I'm sure with a programmer this will spring to life.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 08:01:33 AM »

Hey, Fritz got mentioned in RPS's Devlog Watch!
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/12/devlog-watch-cogmind-fritz-tiny-wizard/

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 08:34:50 AM »

We need more of this sort of thing. Fantastic concept and promising execution. If I were a programmer I'd howl for the chance to be involved!

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 02:15:32 PM »

Just stumbled upon this: http://www.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/wwi/wwitech/ Might be interesting for you Smiley
madlynonce
Level 0

Mel & Dan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 01:16:03 AM »

Thank you everyone for your replies!
Thank you for bringing the RPS article to our attention, Christian. This is so exciting. Several people have contacted us now thanks to that! (I will reply as fast as I can to all of you!)

And thank you Chromadroid for the link. I love picture series like that, and there are so many that I hadn't seen.

Here's a little update, a hospital:

Needs more different poses for the wounded, but I think it's off to a decent start. I'm still not sure if the tables need an outline like the chairs.

-Dan

Our Devlog:
ranseur
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 01:18:05 AM »

Oh dear. Some time ago I wrote a few design notes about a Papers, Please WWI inspired game.
I may have a prototype worth a few hours of coding somewhere...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 11:20:26 PM by ranseur » Logged
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 02:24:28 AM »

Needs more different poses for the wounded, but I think it's off to a decent start. I'm still not sure if the tables need an outline like the chairs.
Yeah, definitely give em an outline.

gamesthatcouldbeworse
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 04:32:42 AM »

Will it be possible to win the war?

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 05:53:26 AM »

Heh, this game looks really cute. I like the idea of any game (or even movie for that matter) where war and fighting are not depicted as necessarily constructive, especially for the individual soldiers fighting it. I find that our culture tends to hold up WW2 as this glowing beacon of just and righteous warfare where evil men needed to be opposed. This image sort of bleeds over to make all wars we fight in look righteous and necessary. I think WW1 is a good example of pointless warfare that would have been best avoided. The irony being that WW2 and one of histories greatest monsters was basically created by Europe's inability to peacefully resolve their differences in WW1.

Personally I've always been a fan of stories like that of Children of Men where the central character basically avoids fighting the entire time and saves the day by getting a child away from the pointless, destructive war while those around him try constantly to control and exploit said child.

There's a WW1 game I want to make sometime called "Verdun" that is a lot less elaborate and more tongue in cheek in a dark humour sort of way. The idea was to sort of mock the Endless Runner clone fest of recent years by making a game where the typical mechanics of the genre are used to express depressing realities of trench warfare.

The game would be a run out of your trench, across no-man's-land into other trenches. You just keep going until you get killed with no final victory condition, and other soldiers being killed by attacks would be your warning to dodge said attacks before they take you out too. I like the image of an early 80s arcade game styled sprite of a little German or French soldier in a great coat running for his life towards certain doom with a long bayoneted rifle that he basically never fires jangling around.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic