Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:23:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSim
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sim  (Read 1229 times)
Spoon
Level 0

View Profile
Sim
« on: May 11, 2014, 11:08:23 AM »

Hello there !

I quickly pitched an idea of a game that I'm currently working on with a friend since some days :

A game in which you are a sim card, gifted with intelligence, whose purpose is to be transfered in evolved phones. You're using the phone's parameters, inputs and outputs, to reach your aim.

It is very fresh, and we just established a short vision of the game. As often, it beggins with what if ?

What if ?

What if a Sim Card was gifted with intelligence ?
The player embody a sim card gifted of its own will. His actions depends of its body (the phone) and its master (the owner). The sim card is linked with the owner, and will follows him all his life.
The sim card is divided between ememcipation desire and servitude. She wants more and more possibilities, pushing the limits of her boundaries, by forcing her owner to buy new phone, the next model, which comes with new gadget and inputs.

Gameplay

The gameplay rely on the possible actions of Sim, which depends of the phone model. The player is in an unusual situation, because he cannot move and can't refers to his common senses because, well, he's a sim card in a phone.
The question is : how to know the environment and elements around ? there are 3 main phases :

- the recognition of the context and the place
- Identification of the elements in the place(people, connected objects...)
- Interaction between the elements

Example 1 :

In the image bellow, the player have already discover the elements in the place. He is activing the blutooth to see if one of them is activing too. Yes indeed ! He has access to a part of an other phone and can, say, ring the bell or access files

Example 2

In the image bellow, the player access the Owner messages. In a conversation, he noticed the Owner talks about a man near him. Then it appears on the map.

The player have access to information in the phone, such as calendar, text-messages, photos etc... to deduct where he is, what's the situation. From the situation follows the behavior of the Owner of the phone. Think about it : you do not behave the same way, including with your phone, at work / school / in a restaurant / at hospital etc... What's going if your phone rings during an exam ? during a dinner ?

So the core gameplay is basically experimention. What happened if the phone ring ? how the elements in the place will react ? How this can help me to reach my goal ?

What's next?

I'm posting this here as a devlog, and to ask your help and feedback. According to you, what should be the next steps ? What are your advices to makes a first paper-prototype ?

In my mind, I think we should design the system (elements and relation). But it's pretty difficult to do. Do you have any advices or concrete examples which could help ?
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 12:34:12 AM »

Last night I came up with a very similar concept albeit using different mechanics to execute it. I immediately came here to search for some keywords and find inspiration and this devlog appeared. Have you updated your concept at all or started developing it further?

Spoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 12:42:02 AM »

Hello @JctWood. Absolutly not   Durr...?. But it is still a concept I'm thinking of sometimes. I'll be very interested to see how you conceptualize it :-)
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 12:49:24 PM »

Great well I will hopefully start a devlog if I can begin producing some content.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic