Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:14:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsQuadric Mesh Reduction Tutorial with Source Code
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Quadric Mesh Reduction Tutorial with Source Code  (Read 3236 times)
sp4cerat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 15, 2014, 12:35:56 PM »

Summary Since I couldnt find any code thats fast, memory efficient, free and for high quality, I developed my version of the quadric based edge collapse mesh simplification method. It uses a threshold to determine which triangles to delete, which avoids sorting but might lead to lesser quality. It is about 4x as fast as Meshlab and can simplify 2M -> 30k triangles in 4 seconds.

Usage The functionality is contained in Simplify.h. The function to call is simplify_mesh(target_count). The code is kept pretty slim, so the main method has just around 400 lines of code.

DownloadYou can fetch the tutorial code here:

http://voxels.blogspot.com/2014/05/quadric-mesh-simplification-with-source.html

Results Here a comparison of the results (The fast method left and the Meshlab result right).

RandyGaul
Level 1

~~~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 08:21:31 PM »

Pretty sweet. I actually wanted to read up on this topic, so thanks a lot! It would be great if you wrote a short summary about how it all works. Perhaps just a paragraph or so.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic