Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:06:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDemons with Shotguns - The Ultimate Couch Fragger - On Steam Now!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Demons with Shotguns - The Ultimate Couch Fragger - On Steam Now!  (Read 33106 times)
Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2014, 04:26:28 AM »

A MindShaft Game

Demons with Shotguns is the ultimate couch fragger gibfest! Armed with a powerful shotgun, bullet deflecting shield and power-up tarot cards, 2 to 4 local players will battle it out to collect each others souls in 9 different competitive game modes across 4 realms & 40 arenas.

Couch Fragger Shooter Action
  • Fast paced, twitch style, arena shooting action!
  • Play as the faithless Preacher, the desperate Demon, the Heavenless Angel, the peace keeping Nun or even Death himself.
  • Double jump to reach high platforms.
  • Master shotgun jumping to create shortcuts and reach otherwise unreachable areas.
  • Dash to dodge bullets, close the gap between your opponent or make an escape.

Multiple Game Modes
  • Choose from multiple game modes, including free-for-all or team based modes.
  • Classic Deathmatch, where the player with the most frags wins.
  • Soul Reaping, where each player fights to increase their pool of souls by draining other players of theirs.
  • Capture the Soul, a variant on classic capture the flag where players fight for control of the single soul in order to capture it.
  • Last Soul Standing, where players have only one life and fight in round based combat.

Multiple Arenas & Environments
  • Battle it out in 4 different environments, with 10 levels each, featuring unique environmental hazards and mechanics.
  • Fight at Death’s Cemetery and uncover each labyrinth's hidden passages and secret hideaways while avoiding booby traps.
  • Square off in the abstract and bizarre caves of Hell, using portals to traverse levels while avoiding lava pits.
  • Showdown on the rooftops of a mega city.
  • Confess your sins before the church alter. Then commit some more.

Tarot Cards
  • Pick up randomly dropped tarot cards that can either bring you good luck to you or your team in the form of a temporary power-up, or can curse your opponents, giving you a competitive edge.

Singleplayer & Local Co-op Enemy Wave Mode
  • Fend off the Nephilim army and prevent the end of times in a 1-2 player enemy wave mode.

Development Tools
Unity w/ 2D Toolkit
Visual Studio 2013 w/ UnityVS
Aseprite
Audacity

Sites
http://www.mindshaftgames.com/

Twitter
https://twitter.com/NickDiMucci
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 07:26:12 AM by Neeko » Logged

Currently developing Demons with Shotguns, a 2D competitive platformer arena game.
MindShaft Games
Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 09:36:12 AM »

I've never done any sprite work before, so trying to come up with my own artwork, let alone a character design, was a learning process for sure. I went through several iterations before getting to the final design.

The evolution of the character design

Final design

Edit: Nope, this is the final design! Smiley
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 10:28:48 AM by Neeko » Logged

Currently developing Demons with Shotguns, a 2D competitive platformer arena game.
MindShaft Games
DarthBenedict
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 06:01:52 PM »

This game has a cool name.

Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 06:23:13 PM »

This game has a cool name.

Haha thanks! Hopefully, you'll find it fun to play Smiley

MindShaft Games
Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 01:21:26 PM »

I finally got around to finishing the last character.

Meet Death.

MindShaft Games
Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 01:34:55 PM »

I've been doing some work on the HUD, which includes some nice shotgun shell sprites to represent the ammo counts as well as Doom style health indicators. The game timer and game messages will appear in the space in the middle.

MindShaft Games
Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 09:16:30 AM »

Started working on a one-time-use holy water grenade. Who knew holy water could be so explosive?

MindShaft Games
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 10:16:46 AM »

Looks fun. I love that '3D' decapitation effect!

Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 10:22:15 AM »

Looks fun. I love that '3D' decapitation effect!

Thanks! I'll clearly admit, without shame, it was inspired from TMNT: Turtles in Time when you throw a foot clan soldier at the camera.

MindShaft Games
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 10:35:15 AM »

Ha! No shame in admitting that - I remember it well!

Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 05:28:51 AM »

Updated the original post with some new raw gameplay footage of 1v1 action! The footage showcases the new holy water bombs and HUD display. Check it out

MindShaft Games
Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 06:49:21 AM »

I finally cut a proper (teaser) trailer.

On the development end, I'm currently wrapping up the holy water grenade. Because players can now kill themselves, it threw some of my game ending logic completely awry! So that took a bit of time to fix. Next up, I'll probably tackle providing better feedback on player movement. Samurai Gunn does an awesome job of this so I'll be looking to do something similar.

The last remaining pillar of deathmatch is to implement the tarot card pickups. Once that's done, deathmatch game mode could be considered fully featured and complete! Then it's on to level design, which I may look into procedural generated content for.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 06:56:01 AM by Neeko » Logged

MindShaft Games
Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 05:12:14 PM »

Some dust particles to give some nice feedback on player movement.

MindShaft Games
Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 04:06:03 AM »

I've been working on the blood splatter effects and I could use some feedback.

Here are two short clips of the current effect

Do you like, dislike? Any thoughts on how it could be improved?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:32:20 AM by Neeko » Logged

MindShaft Games
Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 05:00:31 PM »

Working on improving the blood splatter effects. This is the current iteration.

MindShaft Games
kingdinosaurgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 08:01:52 AM »

Game looks incredibly fun, but man I would play it just for those blood splatter effects alone

Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 11:11:09 AM »

Game looks incredibly fun, but man I would play it just for those blood splatter effects alone

Thanks! I've been working on the blood splatter a lot the past few days, so it's great to hear that you like it Smiley

MindShaft Games
Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 06:07:36 PM »

Some more blood splatter/spray work.

MindShaft Games
Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 05:51:38 AM »

If there are any interested pixel artists out there that would be interested in collaborating on DwS, please don't hesitate to PM me. I am nearing the point where I need to start doing level design work and I need help with creating tile sheets, environmental items, weather effects, etc.

MindShaft Games
Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 04:50:17 AM »

Started implementing tarot card pickups. One of them, the Apocalypse card, kills everyone! Time to scramble and get all those souls once you respawn Smiley

MindShaft Games
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic