Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:47:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOpinions needed please see latest post
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Opinions needed please see latest post  (Read 6578 times)
martian_automaton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2015, 01:31:47 AM »

So we know for sure two things are happening:

1. Some vertice's positions are getting mangled to something much higher
2. The mangled vertice's colors are shifting to a different color used elsewhere.

Have you tried setting the SSAA to 1x to test if it is the OpenGL call itself? It appears the engine is not using VBOs so it should not be GPU side corruption. I would create a small world with just a super high poly terrain. Then in the shader recolor the vertexes based on the position but clamp the position to something sane. That should make it easier to trigger the bug and make it clear when vertices get mangled.

Hi! Thanks for the advice. I have tried 1x and the error still shows up. You're right about VBOs I haven't implemented them yet. Good idea with the terrain I'll try that!

Also, I found a tutorial program that does what my program does in what appears to be the same order, yet the bug isn't there. It's getting late now but tomorrow I'll compare what my program is doing different to the tutorial/sample program and maybe that will give me a clue.

It's probably going to be something super simple that I'm forgetting or looking over. It always is!  Tongue Again, thanks to you and everyone else for the advice! I'll try what has been said and report in.

martian_automaton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2015, 03:38:21 AM »

Wow, I'm totally stuck. Has anyone been able to get FBOs working at higher than window resolutions with SDL 2.0? I wonder if there is a bug in SDL. (I like to make myself feel better by blaming my problems on someone else!  Durr...? )

I give up on SSAA for now! MSAA, on the other hand, works fine ... but it's totally incompatible with the way my engine renders. My solution is extremely radical - change the art style completely!! I tried out this style:

And it's really fun to make. Let me qualify this by saying this is my first attempt at "pixel art" style graphics I'm sure I'll get better.

If I go for this style I'd want the buildings to be much more city-like than they are now, less suburban America more like down-town Shibuya or something:

Lots of strong colours, etc. This style would also allow me to make much busier scenes, is simpler to code for, and would solve all sorts of headaches down the road in terms of (proper) animation, etc.

Will everyone hate me if I jump on the pixel-art band-wagon?  Shrug

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2015, 04:05:45 AM »

The SSAA probably doesn't work because you'd then need a Depth Buffer to fit. Maybe SDL creates a default depth buffer for you? If you're doing SSAA on your own using large rendertargets, don't forget to create a suitable depth buffer to go with it.

Other than that: looks nice, but I think you'll loose the uniqueness of your current graphics style. I personally am not a huge fan of retro pixel graphics because everyone and his dog is already doing it to save on asset work. It still might turn out looking fresh if you're heading for the Doom rasterizer look: large flat surfaces without any texture filter to get nice blocky textures. Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
bsp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2015, 04:11:33 AM »

low res 3d with point filtering is cool with me

i really like the new type of environment you want to do

martian_automaton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2015, 05:00:28 AM »

The SSAA probably doesn't work because you'd then need a Depth Buffer to fit. Maybe SDL creates a default depth buffer for you? If you're doing SSAA on your own using large rendertargets, don't forget to create a suitable depth buffer to go with it.

Other than that: looks nice, but I think you'll loose the uniqueness of your current graphics style. I personally am not a huge fan of retro pixel graphics because everyone and his dog is already doing it to save on asset work. It still might turn out looking fresh if you're heading for the Doom rasterizer look: large flat surfaces without any texture filter to get nice blocky textures. Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know.

Hi! Thanks for always having something constructive and helpful to say!  Coffee

I don't think (?) it's the depth buffer because the error pops up if the depth buffer has been set-up or not. I have experimented with different resolutions for the colour buffer, the normal buffer, and the depth buffer - the bug ONLY pops up when the resolution of any of these exceeds the window size. I've never encountered a bug this stubborn in my 15 years of programming. It's stressing me out and making me hate programming so I'm just going to put it aside and come back to it later maybe, before I drive myself crazy.

Thanks for the input on the graphics style. I totally agree and I was also worried about losing the 'uniqueness,' but in the end of the day this is supposed to be a fun project for me and I had a blast making that truck so maybe I should just go for it. I will keep on experimenting with different styles, though.

Quote from: tenderface
low res 3d with point filtering is cool with me

I really like the new type of environment you want to do

Oh crap I just realised I'm totally doing something quite similar to what you are ... at least visually. Sorry man I'll try and make my thing have an obviously different look to your project. Not that you have anything to worry about - I don't think my crappy little game is going to be a threat to a major project like yours!   Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2015, 05:27:25 AM »

So what does the bug look like? Only in case you want to get the SSAA working again. If not, ignore my inquiry.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
bsp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »

Oh crap I just realised I'm totally doing something quite similar to what you are ... at least visually. Sorry man I'll try and make my thing have an obviously different look to your project. Not that you have anything to worry about - I don't think my crappy little game is going to be a threat to a major project like yours!   Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right

hah man that isn't what I meant at all. there's plenty of games that came before without texture filtering. im down for any game with that style and building a city with it will be cool

Terrytheplatypus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2015, 03:32:05 PM »

Nice! I've been thinking about doing this for a little while. I don't know much about programming, I've just used stencyl and I did some introductory c and java things, but I'd like to have my own creative tool that might work better than others for me. the pixel art looks nice!
martian_automaton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2015, 03:54:25 AM »

hah man that isn't what I meant at all. there's plenty of games that came before without texture filtering. im down for any game with that style and building a city with it will be cool

Thanks!

you should take a look - you might like it.

Quote from: Schrompf
So what does the bug look like? Only in case you want to get the SSAA working again. If not, ignore my inquiry.

Thanks for asking. If you take a look at some earlier posts you'll find some screenshots and videos of it.

Quote from: Terrytheplatypus
Nice! I've been thinking about doing this for a little while. I don't know much about programming, I've just used stencyl and I did some introductory c and java things, but I'd like to have my own creative tool that might work better than others for me. the pixel art looks nice!

Good luck with learning programming! Take my advice - don't build from scratch like I did! Tongue It probably makes much more sense to use existing tools, like you said.
Thanks for the pixel art compliment. I've never done it before but I've always been a fan and I guess I picked up some stuff from looking at it so much.
So here's to improvement!  Beer! To your programming and my pixel art.  Grin

BTW what platform do you want to develop for?

martian_automaton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2015, 12:11:59 AM »

So the programming side of the re-work is nearly done. SSAA has been ditched for MSAA. I made a plugin for blender to make
it easier to keep the texture resolution consistent across everything in the world. (I find it jarring when pixel art of different resolutions are together)

Also made it so pixels with the colour of purple (255,0,255) are made transparent.

so this:

becomes this:

...without the need to bother with alpha maps or anything.

This is just the place-holder art I was using while I get the programming side of things sorted out; then I'll get cracking on making lots of buildings and props.

martian_automaton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2015, 08:23:13 PM »

So this happened.  Shrug

Rolkus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2015, 09:15:05 PM »

Wow, that, uhh, quite a difference...

@rolkus

Crockets!
Break and Enter
martian_automaton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2015, 11:15:26 PM »

Wow, that, uhh, quite a difference...

Rest assured, there is a plan! But things have been changing around so much I'll just keep my mouth shut until I have something to show because who knows if things might change again.

martian_automaton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2015, 10:18:39 PM »

I was thinking maybe something like this? The texture on that meal bar is just a place-holder but I was thinking about keeping the basic world very colourless (apart from the purple/green shader) and making all the items, enemies, and effects all colourful to make them pop out. I think enemies like the 80s Bebob and Rocksteady would be coo.

Also, the maps are properly procedurally generating again now, so that's good.

I'm been thinking about names. I really like "Spooky Tomb Sunday" because it's silly.

deadcast
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2015, 10:37:57 PM »

Wow, I'm totally stuck. Has anyone been able to get FBOs working at higher than window resolutions with SDL 2.0? I wonder if there is a bug in SDL. (I like to make myself feel better by blaming my problems on someone else!  Durr...? )

I give up on SSAA for now! MSAA, on the other hand, works fine ... but it's totally incompatible with the way my engine renders. My solution is extremely radical - change the art style completely!! I tried out this style:

And it's really fun to make. Let me qualify this by saying this is my first attempt at "pixel art" style graphics I'm sure I'll get better.

If I go for this style I'd want the buildings to be much more city-like than they are now, less suburban America more like down-town Shibuya or something:

Lots of strong colours, etc. This style would also allow me to make much busier scenes, is simpler to code for, and would solve all sorts of headaches down the road in terms of (proper) animation, etc.

Will everyone hate me if I jump on the pixel-art band-wagon?  Shrug

Dang that ice truck is siiick. Smiley I always like that chunky pixel style. Really cool to see someone else building a game engine. I appreciate things like Unity so much more now! lol
martian_automaton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2015, 11:10:10 PM »

Dang that ice truck is siiick. Smiley I always like that chunky pixel style. Really cool to see someone else building a game engine. I appreciate things like Unity so much more now! lol

Thanks! But if you see my latest post I actually jumped straight back off the pixel art bandwagon because it turns out to be a hell of a lot of work. That truck came out really well but everything I made after it looked like crap.

Still, in retrospect I would have been much more sane to use an existing game engine, I think!  Tongue

martian_automaton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2015, 06:15:50 AM »

Today I added customisable controls, mouse sensitivity and mouse inversion.
Also improved the pipe weapon model

martian_automaton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2015, 06:07:13 PM »

Finally added smoothshading! I only had one normal per triangle as a hangover from the previous art-style. Not much of a difference in these scaled-down low-res screenshots, but it was very noticeable when running at 1920 x 1080.

It's most noticeable here:

phyerboss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2015, 10:57:56 PM »

This is looking great!

Cant wait to see what sort of projects come from it! Hand Thumbs Up Left

Beta Coming Soon!
martian_automaton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2015, 05:00:47 PM »

This is looking great!

Cant wait to see what sort of projects come from it! Hand Thumbs Up Left

Thanks! Sorry for the late reply!

I've been making the players' hand model. I'm really proud it! Not bad for programmer art, I think. Still needs to be textured and rigged, though.

EDIT:

Uncanny valley!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 11:15:09 PM by martian_automaton » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic