Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:59:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsReturn of the Obra Dinn [Releasing Oct 18]
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 44
Print
Author Topic: Return of the Obra Dinn [Releasing Oct 18]  (Read 934337 times)
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: September 30, 2015, 11:23:55 AM »

There is just too much magic and technical innovation here Apoplectic

By the way you've been working on this game for almost 1 and a half year now (including the break). I admire your dedication.

Lugen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: September 30, 2015, 12:26:25 PM »

Using mazes for rendering effects, didn't know about that. Quite a fascinating read!
That 1-bit blur effect could perhaps be used in very stormy/rainy scenarios, where drops of water are spraying around or the wind is heavy. The effect could perhaps be masked by some invisible geometry to a buffer.
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #522 on: October 03, 2015, 06:06:21 PM »

Some more technical fire hosing.

Custom Lightmapping in Unity

I got fed up with Unity's new lighting system and spent the last week or so writing my own custom lightmapping solution. Unity 5's Enlighten can give amazing results if you're going for a next-gen look but it's completely unsuited for what I want. And in the past 8 months of betas and release, I've never once gotten a decent lightmap of the Obra Dinn out of it.

Thankfully, Unity is a flexible engine with especially great editor integration, and rolling my own custom direct-lighting lightmapper wasn't too onerous. The basic idea is to take what the dynamic shadowcasting lights generate, pretty it up a little bit, and bake it into the lightmaps. This kind of direct-only lighting works fine for 1-bit so there's no need for bounces, emission, AO, final gather, etc. All the stuff that makes Unity 5 light baking take hours and hours, gigs of memory, and crash my computer in ways I've never seen.

Lightmap generated with custom GPU-accelerated "lightcaster"

In developing this system my two criteria were that it has to be fast and it has to look decent. "Fast" means GPU-only, which introduces some interesting constraints on the algorithms. "Decent" means soft shadowing.

The Process

Here's the basic steps for the process that I ended up with. I call it lightcasting to emphasize that it's direct light only.

Step 1: UV2 Unwrap
Unwrap each object into the second UV channel. Unity's built-in model import unwrapping isn't bad but I found Maya's auto-UV generation a little better so that's what I'm using.

Torus and its unwrapped UV2 channel

Step 2: UV2 Scale
For every object, determine the texel scale for its lightmap. This scale is based on the area of the triangles in the unwrapped UV2 channel, the area of the triangles in the final transformed model, and the desired texel density of the lightmap. Create a blank unlit local lightmap at the right size for each object.

[PICTURE OF MATH]

Step 3: Build UV2->Pos/Norm Maps
Key step: For each object, generate a mapping that will transform UV2 coordinates to a local position and normal at that point on the model. The overall lightcasting technique is based on realtime shadowmapping, which requires the world position and normal for each point on screen to compare against the shadowmap depth. Because lightmaps are rendered into a UV2-mapped texture and not the screen, we need a way to convert those UV2 coordinates to position/normal. The UV2->position and UV2->normal maps can be rendered into a target with a simple shader.

Mappings from UV2 to local position & normal.
These are used to translate UV2 lightmap coordinates to worldspace position/normal.

Step 4: Render Light View Depths
For each light: Build a frustum and render the depth buffer at some suitable resolution - same as realtime shadowmapping. Spot and area lights are easy but point lights require 6 frustums (to form a ~cubemap) and special handling to average all 6 results together and avoid artifacts on the edges. Also, large area lights can be broken up into multiple smaller ones to keep the depth buffer at a manageable size.

A typical spotlight depth view

Step 5: Render Light/Shadow Into Local Lightmaps
For each light: For each object within the light's frustum: Use the UV2->pos/norm maps to perform standard lighting and shadowmapping into the local lightmap. Most forms of soft-shadowing are handled at this stage. Light cookies are easy to support here - something that Unity's lightmap baking has never supported for some reason.

Lighting and shadows rendered into a local lightmap

Step 6: Prune Unaffected Receivers
Determine which objects were actually lit by something. That means checking each object's local lightmap and searching for any pixel > 0. This step is a little tricky because we want everything to run on the GPU where searching isn't efficient. The solution is to repeatedly shrink each local lightmap down into a temporary buffer. At each shrinking step, sample the nearby area to find the maximum pixel value. So the brightest pixel in a 4x4 area will become the new value in a 1/4 size reduced buffer. Do that enough times until your buffer is 1x1, then write that value into another buffer that's collecting the results of all objects. This all happens on the GPU. Once all objects have been collected, you can copy the collection buffer to the CPU and read out the max pixel values for each object to determine which ones were hit by a light.

Reducing local lightmap to a single pixel containing the max brightness

Step 7: Atlas Local Lightmaps Into Global Lightmap
Atlas all the (lit) local lightmaps into multiple pages of a global lightmap. Unity has a basic built-in texture atlassing feature but if you want optimal support for multiple pages, you need to use something else. I ended up porting a really good C++ solution to C#.

Local object lightmaps atlased into a single global lightmap

Step 8: Dilate Global Lightmap
Dilate the lightmap to hide any seams.

Dilating the final lightmap atlas

Soft Shadowing

Lightcasting is based off realtime shadowmapping but offline baking lets me use some beefy soft-shadowing techniques that'd be harder to justify for realtime performance. I implemented a few different techniques, each with their own plusses and minuses.

Reference

For reference, the scene with no shadows and with Unity's dynamic realtime lighting.

Percentage Closer Filtering (PCF)

A standard technique for softening shadowmap sampling. This is basically a uniform blur on the entire shadow.

GOOD Simple, looks ok, not many artifacts
BAD Softens everything equally and doesn't simulate penumbras

Variance Shadow Maps (VSM)

Another standard technique that allows blurring the shadow map in a separate, very fast pass. If you need something simple and fast that looks good for realtime shadowing, VSM is one of the better solutions.

GOOD Simple, looks good, simulates a poor man's penumbra with perspective frustums
BAD Weak penumbras and bad artifacts in complex scenes at higher blur settings

Percentage Closer Soft Shadowing (PCSS)

An advanced technique that attempts to estimate more accurate penumbras. It's a little heavier processing-wise and the blocker estimation breaks down for complex scenes but for simple scenes it looks ok most of the time.

GOOD Decent penumbra simulation
BAD Artifacts where shadows overlap, hard penumbra edges when reducing artifacts

Jitter

This is by far the best-looking technique, and the closest to modeling shadow penumbras accurately. It's also pretty simple: render into the lightmap multiple times, moving/rotating the light slightly for each pass. The big downside is that it's slow. Each jitter pass is nearly equivalent to adding another light to the bake process.

GOOD Looks great and simulates penumbras accurately
BAD Can be very slow. Long shadows require many, many jitter passes to avoid banding

So, that's a lot of choices. For now I'm keeping them all as optional settings. Different techniques look best in different circumstances. With a distant sky light for example, PCF works best with its general blur and reduced artifacts.

Custom = More

Since this is now a custom system, it's possible to go beyond simple lightmapping. The main extra features I wanted were the ability to blend between multiple lightmap snapshots for animating moving lights and to have multiple baked lightmap layers where each layer can adjust the color/intensity of its contribution at runtime.

Animated Snapshots

If I can be happy with monochromatic lighting per lightmap (I can) then a simple form of multiple lightmap snapshots are possible by storing each frame (up to 4) in the different color channels.

Blending between snapshots baked with hard shadows

Blending between snapshots baked with soft shadows

All snapshots/channels

This works well enough with subtle movement and very soft shadows. I could also use it for coarser state changes, say to lightmap a room with the door closed and the door open and to blend between them when the door state changes. With standard global lightmapping this would give me 4 frames of animation for the entire level. For more localized animation and more frames I created a layers system.

Layers

A layer is a collection of lights and the lightmap they generate. Each layer controls parameters about format, texel density, shadowing technique, etc. 

Lightcaster with multiple layers

It's possible for any object to be lit by multiple layers and thus need to perform multiple lightmap lookups during in-game rendering. Compared to actual realtime dynamic lighting though, a few extra texture lookups per object is cheap.

The main complexity from adding multiple layers is in dealing with the newly-required material variations/assets/shaders during the baking process. Critically, you want to minimize the number of materials in your scene. This is important for draw-call performance and especially Unity's built-in static batching system. 

Also, now that an object may reference more than one lightmap the built-in Renderer lightmapping properties are not enough. By default Unity provides Renderer.lightmapScaleOffset to specify how to transform the local UV2 coordinates into the larger lightmap atlas. This is a great feature and lets you lightmap instances differently while sharing the same UV2 channels. Unfortunately, there's only a single lightmapScaleOffset per Renderer; if an object is lit by more than one layer you're SOL. To further complicate things, static batching will bake lightmapScaleOffset into the UV2 channel, so that shader value becomes useless after batching. These are all esoteric details but the point is that it complicates support for multiple lightmaps per object.

During baking the steps above are performed for each layer in turn, then there are additional steps to combine them all:

Step 9: Create Receiver Groups
Group every lit object based on which materials it currently has applied and which layers affect it. These are called receiver groups. Generate a new material for each receiver group that combines mixing the X layer lightmaps and the old material that was applied before.

Step 10: Encode Multiple Lightmap Coordinates per Receiver
Hard part: Encode the multiple lightmap coordinates for each object. This is done by building a unique uv table texture for each receiver group that encodes the lightmap scale+offset for all objects in the group. That uv table texture gets added to each receiver group material and each object's index into that table is encoded into lightmapScaleOffset in a way that it can be recovered both before and after static batching.

Fading the green pointlight layer while leaving the spotlight unaffected

Stay Global

The layers are useful for the "present day" part of the game where stuff actually moves. On the other hand, everything is frozen still for the flashbacks so the layers/receiver groups/animation/etc is all overkill. In those cases, the system supports collapsing all the layers to a single set of lightmaps that can be slotted into Unity's built-in lightmapping table. No additional materials or tricks are required for that to work.

The layer data is still kept around even in global mode though so one nice thing is that individual layers can be re-baked, then re-combined into the global lightmaps without having to re-bake the entire level.

Speed

Except for jittering, all the shadowing techniques are blazingly fast when run offline. Going through all the steps can take a while though, especially with lots of lights and receivers in the scene. On my relatively fast iMac, the small test scene bakes in about 3 seconds. A huge scene like the Obra Dinn takes around 30 seconds with a single large area light.

Baking the lightmaps in the small test scene

Open Source

I'd like to eventually release this code as open source. It still needs some more production testing, and I want to figure out a license that prevents people from trying to just resell it on the asset store, but it's modular enough that someone else may get some use out of it.

TinyAngryCrab
Level 0

o

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 03, 2015, 06:25:50 PM »

These writeups are fantastic! Thank you for doing them.
larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #524 on: October 03, 2015, 07:01:46 PM »

MPL might be a good license? Kind of splits the difference between MIT and GPL/LPGL -- you have to share your changes, but only to any of the original source files you modified, it doesn't virally affect the rest of someone's project.

Nostrils!
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: October 03, 2015, 07:02:03 PM »

Epileptic

Oxeren
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #526 on: October 04, 2015, 02:47:49 AM »

Man, this is just incredible! I will definitely check out your lightmapping solution when/if it will be avaliable.

Though seeing it, it's kinda fun to look at the first post now :D
The lower bound for finishing this game is around 3 months but realistically I think it'll take me around half a year.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: October 04, 2015, 05:43:56 AM »

Some more technical fire hosing.

YES, spray you technicalities over us! Praise be, praise be!
Lugen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: October 04, 2015, 07:21:33 AM »

Another interesting and informative read. Thank you for sharing!
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #529 on: October 04, 2015, 08:19:36 PM »

MPL might be a good license? Kind of splits the difference between MIT and GPL/LPGL -- you have to share your changes, but only to any of the original source files you modified, it doesn't virally affect the rest of someone's project.

Ah thanks. That does look pretty good. What I really want to prevent is someone from zipping it up, dumping it on the asset store, and charging $X for it. It might not be worth worrying about that though since even the best license won't stop unscrupulous people. Maybe I'll just add a "Any product built on this code must prominently display a link to this free version" note to the eventual github page.

Though seeing it, it's kinda fun to look at the first post now :D
The lower bound for finishing this game is around 3 months but realistically I think it'll take me around half a year.

Oh man :D

This project is way, way bigger than I expected, and it's not even that big by indie game standards. The combination of using a new engine, re-learning Maya, building pipelines from scratch, adding custom features, modeling the ship and characters, etc, has all taken ages. The gameplay is really simple which lured me into thinking the whole thing would be easy. Internally I like to blame Maya but the truth is that I was in over my head from the start. Some day I may go over all the stuff that's slowed me down in detail but it's probably not that interesting.

In Greyscale

As part of testing the lightmapping stuff, I used a different post filter to render in full greyscale instead of 1-bit.

Testing the lightmapping in greyscale

Doesn't look half bad. Way easier to see the face at least. I'm irreversibly committed to 1-bit at this point though so this is mostly just a "Huh.."

Canned Turkey
« Reply #530 on: October 04, 2015, 08:25:50 PM »

plauk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: October 04, 2015, 09:12:41 PM »

Some day I may go over all the stuff that's slowed me down in detail but it's probably not that interesting.

You're probably wrong about that.

This is a serious suggestion: I think you should publish a book. Really. Once this is all done, or even if you never finish the actual project. I'd buy a book that goes over all these problems and solutions in excruciating detail. Much more interesting to read about an actual project than hypothetical projects for tutorials that don't have any substance on their own. Plus I have a nice new coffee table just begging for an obscure art/code book to grace its surface.
Thuby
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #532 on: October 04, 2015, 11:36:51 PM »

Some day I may go over all the stuff that's slowed me down in detail but it's probably not that interesting.

This is a serious suggestion: I think you should publish a book. Really. Once this is all done, or even if you never finish the actual project. I'd buy a book that goes over all these problems and solutions in excruciating detail. Much more interesting to read about an actual project than hypothetical projects for tutorials that don't have any substance on their own. Plus I have a nice new coffee table just begging for an obscure art/code book to grace its surface.

Bump

YaW
Level 1

CremaGames

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: October 05, 2015, 01:11:10 AM »

I'd buy a thousand books about technical stuff written by Lucas Pope, seriously.

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #534 on: October 06, 2015, 06:47:31 AM »

This is a serious suggestion: I think you should publish a book

Biggest problem with actually doing this is that I forget 90% of everything that's happened when a game is done. Even going through the devlog leaves me wondering wtf. The current level of posts is about all I can manage while also working and not completely ignoring my family. I appreciate the encouragement though. Maybe there's some way to put this stuff together in a more professional way that would get closer to a proper book. Hard to reproduce the animated gifs though.

Boarding

Animating the player actually getting on and off the ship is something I thought would be cool, but didn't expect to have the time or energy to actually implement it. The arm rig in the game is tuned very specifically for realtime IK and using it for straight animation would be difficult. My backup plan was to show a black screen and just play the sounds of climbing. Ditto for climbing the ropes on the ship.

Yesterday I had the idea that it might be reasonable to animate by taking the skin mesh from the complex arm rig, duplicating it for left/right, and re-rigging that to a much simpler HumanIK rig in Maya. For in-game animations, I can hide the IK hand and show the two simpler ones instead. Once that was sorted it was really fast to animate. Mercifully I didn't even need to set the vertex weighting on the new rig - the default crappy weights ended up being good enough for how the hands are seen.

Boarding and disembarking (ship is an empty test version)

The in-game interface for climbing works just like doors. The hand reaches for knobs - pressing space when close enough activates the non-interactive climb animation.

I'm not totally happy with the animation itself but it's good enough. The real comedy is in the Maya scene, where you can see the heroic cheating I'm doing with the arms.

Majestic

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #535 on: October 06, 2015, 01:38:39 PM »

the animation looks great!

about all that crazy shadow stuff: how well does this translate into the 2bit visuals?

Qopzeep
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 22, 2015, 03:50:09 AM »

Unfortunately, wrapping ropes around things is not a well-supported feature of most modeling packages.

It's quotes like these that keep me entertained while reading your immensely informative devlog.  Smiley

I keep this devlog open in a tab, tucked away in a corner of my browser. Whenever I need inspiration (or distraction), I read up on it. It's always a great read and I never fail to learn a from it. Like learning HaxeFlixel.

Thanks again!
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: October 24, 2015, 08:56:09 PM »

about all that crazy shadow stuff: how well does this translate into the 2bit visuals?

All the lightmapping business is mostly just a performance optimization - both for faster builds and faster runtime. It looks otherwise the same as dynamic or standard lightmapping when sent through the 1-bit wireframe and dither shaders.

2bit visuals

2 colors, 1 bit :D

I keep this devlog open in a tab, tucked away in a corner of my browser. Whenever I need inspiration (or distraction), I read up on it. It's always a great read and I never fail to learn a from it. Like learning HaxeFlixel.

Very cool, thanks!

marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: October 25, 2015, 07:19:14 AM »

Facepalm 1bit

dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #539 on: October 26, 2015, 06:20:14 AM »

[Bumping next post to the next page]