Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:37:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioFeedback Thread...! (READ OP BEFORE POSTING!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Author Topic: Feedback Thread...! (READ OP BEFORE POSTING!)  (Read 79756 times)
jaharley94
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 07:48:42 PM »

@narasu

That (live recording) is actually something that I have thought about; I just haven't quite gotten around to learning all of the songs and tracking them out in live band arrangements.  Thanks for the feedback; I'll take a listen to your piece and let you know what I think!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 05:28:19 AM by jaharley94 » Logged
medieval
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 03:58:18 PM »

One comment:

A.From what I heard, the chords stuck out more than the melody at the beginning. I think what could add to the feeling of lightness (word? haha) is playing with velocity and dynamics. I think having piano hits that "sound" lighter will give the section at 00:53 more emphasis (A more weighty, forward driven section).

Very pretty piece! I especially loved the crunch in the cello during the 1.48 section as it hit its low note!
Thanks for your response! I suppose it would have been better if the piano was a little softer there. I'm glad you like it though!
manabreak
Level 0

dManabreak @ Twitter

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 01:16:05 AM »

Heya!

https://soundcloud.com/themanabreak/sets/pixel-highway-soundtrack

Just though to post this here. It's the soundtrack of my free Android game "Pixel Highway". What do you think?  Smiley
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 10:16:12 AM »

https://soundcloud.com/zack-parrish/valdis-story-abyssal-city-37

Do your worst... Can't really explain what it's for... but it involves ghosts and stuff I guess...

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 04:44:56 PM »

@Mana/Zack:

Before you ask for critique/comments, you have to offer critique on a previously posted track.

It keeps people from dropping a tune and not contributing to the conversation! Grin

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2014, 04:51:40 PM »

Too busy to mess with it then... same reason why the other thread I created went 'poof'.

C'est la vie. 

Daniel Pellicer
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2014, 02:04:08 AM »

Im sorry if Im breaking the rules but I will comment the songs anyways. I hope you forgive me jasmine Wink

as disclaimer I want to say that I will comment the songs more as a listener than as a composer (everybody can listen, even me, not everybody can compose good, but Im working on it!) and I apologize if Im somehow too rude

Heya!

Just though to post this here. It's the soundtrack of my free Android game "Pixel Highway". What do you think?  Smiley

For the first theme, I find the pace ok, but somehow I feel I miss something more. Maybe a second voice over the main melody or something that sounds a little bit more memorable. Either the colour of the instrument or the melody itself is difficult to remember. You could try adding a lead on top of it or search where you can fit a new instrument or maybe change the main melody.

For the second one. I think the first loop is cool but then again I miss in second 11 something that comes on top of everything and drives the tune even further. I would use again another voice on top. You could go to the simple melody line again in 21 and add again this super cool second instrument that you will create in the second 32.

game over jingle: somehow the first note sounds camuflated with other things on the bottom. I would give more importance to it.

for the idle music you could try to do two loops like that one with the melody of the second one a octave higher. to give more "variety" to the loop.

https://soundcloud.com/zack-parrish/valdis-story-abyssal-city-37

Do your worst... Can't really explain what it's for... but it involves ghosts and stuff I guess...

Ok, I assume this one is for the new area that is going to come on Valdis Story.

I find that the overall mood of the song is more childish than eery. With this music box you wanted to give the ambigueity of child/ghost but I don't think is working totally. Somehow is too piercing, and doesn't bring me to this aural state of ghosts etc, and more to a dry melancholy.

At the beginning (from second 0 to 23) there is this music box and the percussion that does tutum. I think is too piercing and heavy. I would expect something more floaty. Ghosts don't walk, they float. I also perceive a lack of drive in the theme that goes for a while because is too ambiental too much time (from 0 to minute 1:12)

This "snare like" instrument that starts in second 14 sounds strange for this atmosphere. It sounds too industrial. I know that this sound is quite characteristic in the whole game and that is very cool but in this point of the song deviates too much the attention.

Then from second 23 to 48 is a little bit too calmed. it doesnt seem like the theme wants to progress. The instruments prefer to stay there, playing a little bit around, too lazy to continue.

From second 48 comes this piano. I think it sounds a little bit dry, but mixing is not my strongest ability...

1:12: melody comes, and the music evolves a little bit but it doesn't sound eery yet. Sounds more melancholic, epic and sad than ghostly.

1:43: this sounds more like ghosts. but maybe to childish yet? And then until 2:18 is again just playing around, evolving too slow. without knowing where to center the attention, im a little bit lost as listener.

2:18: not sure about this instrument. Sounds a little bit dirty

2:54: ok now comes the main theme. recognizable and everything but it should be the second part of it, its not fair for the uniqueness of the song to be drawn by it. I think it should have its own personality and then the main theme can play its part as well, later. Still, I need more eeriness.

3:45 to 4:15: probably the part that works better in ghostly terms.

from 4:15 on: the main problem there is that the music box is piercing my ears too much.

PD: For both: sorry if something doesn't make too much sense. I can reclarify if necessary

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2014, 04:35:58 PM »

@Estudio:

No! There's no restriction on commenting - That's what a lot of people avoid doing, haha

If anyone wants to post their track for critique, they HAVE to comment on someone else's piece in return, which I stated in the OP.

I didn't clarify the commenting part in the OP, though. I'll edit that!

WittyNotes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 01:53:46 PM »

Heya!

Heya right back at you, manabreak!

When I critique, I always give people a 50/50 split on plus points and minus points, regardless of the overall quality. So here's your daily helping!

What I Liked:
1. Entrance of those 'fast octave' bleeps ~ 0.22
2. Overall fit of the style of the music with the feel of action.
3. Choice of mixing Chiptunes with old-school pixelated feel. It's a little cliche these days, but it's cliche for a reason (ie, those aesthetics fit.)

What I Think Might Need Polishing:
1. The white noise drums in the Driving Music section. I get that they're supposed to be synchopated, but the music was so repetitive, it started setting up a secondary beat in my head.
2. A little too much repetition overall? Especially considering that it's a short loop.
3. A little more movement in the melody would've been welcome (or maybe a short rest to break up the sound a little here and there).

That's my two bits!
WittyNotes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 02:06:59 PM »

2. Everything. Primarily mixing, but if you hear anything else worth being ripped to shreds, tear away.

3. Mischievous Maiden

I'm getting frustrated, and I think my problem lies in quality. I know what I want, but the instruments I am using are not giving me what I need. Therefore, I am trying to manipulate them beyond their capabilities.

Ahoy, M4uesviecr!

My 50/50 take on the piece is:

What I Liked:
1. The fact that the piece nicely fits the island/latin theme.
2. The way you wait before bringing in the harmony.
3. The raw variety of sounds you have (especially important for latin-y sounding music, in my opinion.)

What I Might Suggest:
1. I agree that the mixing feels a little off: some of the instruments sound great dry, but I think the reverb on others (like most of the drums, and the tuba) could be beefed up.
2. I don't really like how much body the music looses at 0.56. I think you might keep the harmony going somehow.
3. The repeating trumpet motif in the second half of the track can get a little tiring after a while.

That's my take!
WittyNotes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 02:15:22 PM »

Yum! I always like a feedback thread! So, to follow the rules strictly (and having first given feedback on others), here's my submission:

1. This cue was created for a cutscene focusing on a dangerous chase that mixes comedic moments with the overly-dramatic chase action.

3. I'm looking for feedback on mixing and reverb. Right now I feel like the instruments are a little "too far" from the listener, but I'm not sure how to bring them in clearer without having them all clash with one another.

3. Here's the piece!

Any advice would be most helpful. Thanks!
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2014, 05:31:08 PM »

@Witty:

Hey Witty. First, I want to say thank you for the feedback! A lot of what you mentioned I have attempted to clean up in the most recent version, though I'll make sure to go back and visit the use of reverb.

Now, on to your piece:

I think the composition is great! You have a lot of moving and transferring between instrumentation. You also attempt to include many musical elements (playing a lot with surges in dynamics). This piece would definitely be much more interesting in context with the scene it was written for. The theme itself is a ton of fun!

My only real quip with this piece is depth (which you mentioned). A lot of it felt as though it were placed in the upper frontal "head space" (if that makes any sense at all, haha).

With clashing, the instruments WILL do that, but only if you believe each instrument should fit in the same threshold of space. Since there are varying degrees of closeness and ... notsocloseness, it can be achieved, you just have to experiment with it. For example, I'd say bring your instruments forward, but leave your percussion where they are, keeping the strings thick on the sides, but I'm using extremely vague terms, and I'm basing it on what my ears would prefer. That is completely different from what you would have in mind.

I can't really comment much on the reverb. Where it is now, it sounds fine (to me) for the amount of space you have between the instruments and the listener.

Great piece! Definitely checking out more of your stuff!

EDIT:

I checked out this piece by you: https://soundcloud.com/evan-witt/sparrows-and-swallows

It is much closer to that thick, orchestral hall closeness that I am sure you are looking for. Not exactly sure what happened between here and the piece you posted. Go back to it and study what you did, and expand on that.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:12:32 AM by M4uesviecr » Logged

WittyNotes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2014, 10:16:28 PM »

@M4uesviecr

Many thanks for the feedback, M2uesviecr, but especially for the comparison to that other piece of mine: I've been trying out different mixing strategies with each piece, and until you pointed it out, I didn't realize the clear difference between those two approaches. I'm cleaning up my piece now and I think I'll be able to move it a little closer to a more enveloping sound. I owe you one! Gentleman
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2014, 07:16:23 PM »

1. This is more jazz/latin music. It is supposed to be for a swamp area.

2. I am desiring some feedback on the mixing. Tackling this has been a gigantic beast. Though mixing is at the forefront, I appreciate responses, or comments, on other aspects.

3. https://soundcloud.com/jasminecoopermusic/swamps/s-2jAF2

CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2014, 11:22:39 AM »

Hey, fresh meat to the thread here! :D

Alrighty, just had a listen to your Swamps track, M4uesviecr and I really like it!

The variety of instruments is great, I like how diverse the general instrumentation is, especially when the instruments start to 'take turns' to throw in a melody or two. I really like the bass and how it keeps the piece thick and driven, along with the breaks that lead it nicely to the next part.

For a little critique, I'd say the brass/reed? parts that drone for a few seconds (e.g. 0:35) could probably benefit from a stronger (yet still slightly more subtle) crescendo, as well as in the 2nd part after the first break.

As much as I LOVE the diversity in instrumentation in the track as a whole, there are a few small parts in which it seems like there's too much going on, such as 1:52 where it's hard to latch on to a certain instrument, but for the brief time it happens, it's nothing too major.

The quality is nice and as a whole it's a great track to just close my eyes and sink into a jam infused swampy coma, great work!

Okay, here's a track I recently finished, it's not really based on anything other than something to lay and chill to. Originally I set out to create an ambient piece, which had a much slower pace, but I slowly added in more parts than originally intended. I think turned out alright but I wouldn't mind any comments/critique on it, composition-wise, do you think it changes too much/not enough etc, are some keys too harsh on the ears etc? Smiley

Frozen Shards:
https://soundcloud.com/kc_portman/frozen-shards
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:48:55 AM by CasePortman » Logged
Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 10:15:08 AM »

So M4uesviecr,

Great track.  I like the overall vibe and I especially like the transition around 2:00, very smooooothe.  Noir

One thing: probably because the song challenge this month is percussion-oriented, I'm noticing that the wood block part has very little velocity/volume difference between hits. It sounds very 'midi' to me and not as real as it probably could be. The ride symbol sounds much better but could still use some velocity tweaking as well. Overall, really excellent!

Pete301
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2014, 11:06:34 AM »

Hey CasePortman,

I really like the track. It is very chill. There isn't much that I can comment on for the composition, it sounds really nice. Maybe you could have had a modulation to a different key in the middle at ~1:23 to make it more engaging to listen to and then return to the original key for when the new melody kicks in at ~2:00. I don't think there is anything too harsh to listen to in there.

Something that kind of gets to me at the beginning is the panning of the focus, it's slightly to the left, but the runs and the synth chords are very right oriented. I think you could have moved the chords to the left, or alternated to make it balance more, or perhaps move the melody to the centre. This doesn't become a problem for the rest of the track though because of the other added interests.

All in all, very nice chill track Wizard

For my addition...

I am currently composing a track for a Portal 2 mod, though I haven't had much to get inspired from other than 2 pictures and a short description. The track will be used for the beginning of the game where the character is trying to get their bearings on what has happened, the atmosphere is an underground machinery type place based in 1950/60s.

I'm looking for general feedback on the entire thing. Maybe some ideas on mixing the orchestral parts together with the electronic, I'm not sure if it all gels together yet.

https://soundcloud.com/pete301/we-will-find-you
ArnoldSavary
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2014, 03:36:29 PM »

First off, kudos, I think you've done a very good job. The composition is really interesting, the harp sounds mysterious and playful, which is reinforced by the panning - like it's playing hide-and-seek - and I particularly like the effects and percussions you've put in the track (what did you use for the percussions by the way?). The orchestration is good too and there's a very nice part at 2:21. You've definitely nailed the atmosphere of the game.

Here's a couple things I think could be improved:
- the track begins to feel a little lengthy around the 1-minute mark ; like we kind of expect a change but it never comes. To counter this feeling I personally would add some percussive stabs, some sudden digital drum rolls, or some louder staccatos - nothing too brutal, just surprises to keep the listener at the edge of their seat.
- the volume swell at 1:57 isn't very natural, if feels like the volume changes but not the texture. Maybe compress the master a little more?
- I'm not convinced by the viola (?) phrase at 2:58, the one which harmonizes the melody

So yeah, a very good track overall, but I think it could be improved with some more surprises and sharper contrasts.

And now for something completely different.

https://soundcloud.com/asavary/electro-wips-october-2014/s-J8k7L

This upload is a collection of works in progress vaguely belonging to the electronic music genre (I put comments with the respective sub-genres - more or less made up - to delimit the tracks). You guys don't have to listen to them all - what I'd mostly like to know is which ones do you think sound the most promising. They're not at the same level of completion but the general idea should be there. (I don't actually listen to that much electronic music myself, I started with metal and then orchestral compositions, so I've been trying to get better at this for a little while now.)
Also, do you guys have any ideas on how I could get this stuff out there? It's too diverse to fill up an EP, it's not typically what's used in a game soundtrack... Maybe publish it as stock music? I don't really know what to do with all this.  Shrug
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 03:46:11 PM by ASavary » Logged

Aamp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2014, 05:27:04 AM »

1.  ^These are ridiculously awesome in my opinion.  Everyone's going to have their own critique but I only found that Rhodes piano a little out of place when on its' own and the snares in general to be a little maybe compressed and shoved below the mix sounding.

'Drum and Rock' is laden with with stonk and heavy energy and I could imagine it in an action movie!  "Abrasive Techno" is unreal also in my mind!  The last track could use a lead melody or something to make it a bit more interesting but overall I really enjoyed these.

I don't feel like I have prepared anything for critique but s'pose it's the nature of the thread

2.  Created for nothing, well, practice I guess.
3.  Feedback on life
4.  Link https://soundcloud.com/aamptrack/disno3_1

Check out the music in the post above, I really like it.

Thanks!    
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 04:25:37 PM by Aamp » Logged

Pete301
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2014, 10:05:39 AM »

Thank you very much for the feedback Savary, I agree with you on all points (though I kinda like the Viola atm, I'll change it up and make it work musically). I'll post the finished piece in the 'Show us your music' thread, if you would like to hear the finished thing.

First off, kudos, I think you've done a very good job. The composition is really interesting, the harp sounds mysterious and playful, which is reinforced by the panning - like it's playing hide-and-seek - and I particularly like the effects and percussions you've put in the track (what did you use for the percussions by the way?).

For the percussion things I used a Chip emulator (Chipsounds, it's frikkin' awesome) and played around with really short stabs and the built-in sequencer it has. Then used a plugin called Filter Gate to change the eq and stuff. Then put a delay on it. I don't know if that explained it perfectly, but I hope you get the idea.

Now, for your feedback (I'm quite tired so it won't be extensive) ... :D

The tracks sound really good to me, I really like Drum n' Rock. It reminds me of the old Command and Conquer soundtracks, especially at 4:34. Very juicy. The beginning of Abrasive Techno reminds me of Paradroid 90, so I'd say those are my favourites.

One thing that strikes me throughout all the tracks is that they sound quite flat. I like to use a compressor on the focus track being fed by the kick, this gives it a nice pump as long as you get the decay time good.

Sorry for such a short feedback post.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic