Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411412 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 11:14:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFreaking Meatbags, the only RTS where you can mix Human with Alien DNA - V1.0
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Freaking Meatbags, the only RTS where you can mix Human with Alien DNA - V1.0  (Read 6758 times)
WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: May 29, 2014, 01:53:12 PM »

Hello everyone. Freaking Meatbags is on early access on Steam, and I will keep a log of my progression to the final version in this post.

Land on a planet, pick up some rocks, leave before the solar system explodes. Oh, and don't die in the nightly robot attacks! Freaking Meatbags is a humorous real-time strategy game that's all about building a base, mixing meatbag DNA, then convincing those dolts to help you gather resources.

About the Game
Freaking Meatbags throws you into a futuristic world where robots have jobs, cephalopods aren't confined to a single dimension, and humans pretty much just stand around talking to themselves. As a lowly cleaning robot, your task is to gather precious materials from each world before the solar system goes kaboom. As soon as you land, you realize this gig isn't going to be as simple as you had hoped. During the day you'll scramble to gather resources, build structures and keep your base in good repair. But when it gets dark, get ready to fight. Those rampaging wild robots aren't here to have a knitting competition.

At least you're not alone in your daily chores. Fleshy, unintelligent and very unattractive human creatures live on these planets. You've discovered they're quite amenable to being told what to do, even if those tasks are as limited as carrying resources back and forth. Mix some DNA from a few different species, however, and you can breed humans with special powers. Like, say... laser beam eyes! A little mod here, a little hack there and they might turn out to be quite useful!

Current Features
- Fuse alien and human DNA: Create hybrids with special alien abilities by mixing DNA from two different meatbags. A human is useful, but a human with a rocket launcher arm is even more useful.
- Build offensive and defensive structures: Hold back the wild robot hordes while simultaneously pummeling them with lasers, missiles, bolts of electricity and your very own personal attack drones. 15 unique structures to create and upgrade.
- Enhance your base with technology: Influence the battlefield and manage your base with nine different pieces of buildable technology. Need to heal yourself? There's tech for that. Want to build drones? Tech for that, too!
- Motivate your meatbags: The humans usually do what you ask. Unless they're tired or bored or just plain apathetic. Fortunately there's plenty of alien biotechnology you can implant to give them a little encouragement.
- Robotic enemies: Nobody knows where the wild robots come from, but they sure are well-armed.
- Eight unique enemy types that range from creepy crawly things to dashy explodey things.
- Boss robots: Three sinister bad guys to take out with your turrets. One of them has a giant brain. How do you figure it got in there?
- Multiple planets and environments to explore.
- Four alien species to encounter, chat with and steal DNA from.
- One giant trans-dimensional space squid.

Philae Update (available February 4th):
– Revamped DNA system with hundreds of alien/human combinations.
– Seven new genes to get all splice-happy with.
– Equip meatbags with jetpacks, hoverboards and… ROCKET LAUNCHERS!
– Stick humans in towers to power-up the buildings. Because of science.
– Overclocking ability lets you see the world in slow-mo.
– Brand new boss that jumps around a lot. Shhh, that’s all we can say!
– Hidden zombie planet. Go ahead, try to find it.
– Over 50 gameplay, sound and interface improvements.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:34:25 PM by WildFactor » Logged

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 07:37:59 PM »

Playtested this before the Early Access release. It's a lot of fun even at such an early stage. You absolutely nailed the humor. Thanks for starting a devlog, always nice to see a game I'm anticipating on TIGForums
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 03:23:31 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 11:04:50 PM »

Playtesting this before the Early Access release. It's a lot of fun even at such an early stage. You absolutely nailed the humor. Thanks for starting a devlog, always nice to see a game I'm anticipating on TIGForums

Thank you Christian Smiley

WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 02:21:05 AM »

First changes I will make before adding new content:
I've made the game tested by many people, including this week-end during the Pix&Tech show. And there is one complain:
Sometimes players just wait to gather enough ressources to build something.
I've added a 3X time accelerator. It's better but not enough.
What I'm going to try:
- Give the strong Alien who gather ressources on the first planet. Player will gather ressource faster (and they wait less).

Consequences:
- Reduce the day/night duration to keep the current balance as much as possible. I will have to replay every level to adjust the difficulty.
-> The game duration will mecanically be shorten Sad But with the new levels coming, it should stay the same ( 3 Hours 1/2 to 6 Hours )
- Early version of Freaking Meatbags had shorten day and night. But player were really stressed (which is the opposite problem). I will add an "overclocking" feature which let the player slow down the game during fight if he feel the pressure too much. This may  also have some consequence on the balance, by making the game easier. I hope it won't.

Beware that these changes may be bad and I may revert this.

The second solution will be to give the robot something fun to do in early level during ressource gathering. But I have not find a good idea yet. There is already a lot of mechanic to learn, so it needs to be simple.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 02:27:50 AM by WildFactor » Logged

StCredZero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 02:48:59 PM »

Cool Freakin Idea, Meatbag! Smiley
WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 04:10:14 AM »

I've added the strong alien and tested it on a level. It looks like to be better.
I will have to redo the balance of every level after reducing day/night time Sad

I've added a new feature: You can now "overclock" your robot Smiley It slow time and let you think when there is too much things going on.
It's also great when you combined it with missile towers, because you can manually choose their targets, even when they are far away.

To make a break, I'm working on the Jumping Boss Smiley

Before redoing the balance, I will make a prototype that will give the robot some abilities and see if it's better or just more complicate...
And if you have some idea I can test. Don't hesitate!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 04:36:51 AM »

I've added the strong alien and tested it on a level. It looks like to be better.
I will have to redo the balance of every level after reducing day/night time Sad

I've added a new feature: You can now "overclock" your robot Smiley It slow time and let you think when there is too much things going on.
It's also great when you combined it with missile towers, because you can manually choose their targets, even when they are far away.

Before redoing the balance, I will make a prototype that will give the robot some abilities and see if it's better or just more complicate...
Hmmm, I think some cool abilities for the robot would be:

- Being able to repair towers
- Some kind of area of effect in which towers in the area have boosted stats
- A last-resort EMP blast that disables enemies for x amount of time, giving you some breathing room and some time to plan something
- Maybe some kind of melee attack or defense capabilities like a shield so the robot isn't totally defenseless
- Maybe a more advanced skill could be to hack an enemy so they fight other robots for you. Could be upgraded so successive tiers let you hack more powerful enemies
- Ability to spawn a less handsome and outsourced copy of youself that you can command to repair towers and also has an area of effect. Balanced out by being weaker, slower, less effective than your main robot
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 05:08:50 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 06:41:36 AM »

Hmmm, I think some cool abilities for the robot would be:

- Being able to repair towers
- Some kind of area of effect in which towers in the area have boosted stats
- A last-resort EMP blast that disables enemies for x amount of time, giving you some breathing room and some time to plan something
- Maybe some kind of melee attack or defense capabilities like a shield so the robot isn't totally defenseless
- Maybe a more advanced skill could be to hack an enemy so they fight other robots for you. Could be upgraded so successive tiers let you hack more powerful enemies
- Ability to spawn a less handsome and outsourced copy of youself that you can command to repair towers and also has an area of effect. Balanced out by being weaker, slower, less effective than your main robot

I will definitely try some of this idea. Thanks you Christian.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 06:47:55 AM by WildFactor » Logged

WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 01:27:31 PM »

- Strong alien + overclock done.
- Jumping boss done.
and I'm working on the zombie right now.

(didn't test robot function yet)

WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 01:19:47 AM »

yesterday at midnight: Zombie moving great toward human and transforming them when they don't run away faster enough. I still need to add some feedback.

Zombie are a little slower than human (30%), but can't be killed by savage robots easily.
So you will have to choose if you want your people to be transformed into zombie or not (and combined with some other augmentation, it can be powerfull!)

WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 06:46:09 AM »

zombie done.

Jet pack:
almost done. Expensif but let your human fly above hills.

absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 07:03:53 AM »

zombie done.

Jet pack:
almost done. Expensif but let your human fly above hills.

Kewl...zombeh.

dez
Level 1

^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 09:01:09 AM »

something about this game really attracts me... I think maybe because it reminds me of 'escape from the planet of the robot monsters'

Love the style and attitude.
I will follow your game!

I'm developing OBEY - Steam | Devlog | Twitter | Facebook
WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 09:06:44 AM »

something about this game really attracts me... I think maybe because it reminds me of 'escape from the planet of the robot monsters'
never heard of this one. I will look into it!

Love the style and attitude.
I will follow your game!

Thanks Smiley

dez
Level 1

^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »

oh if you haven't heard of it, here is a link to a

(it had a bunch of worthless ports made, not nearly as good).

I'm developing OBEY - Steam | Devlog | Twitter | Facebook
WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 10:55:09 AM »

oh if you haven't heard of it, here is a link to a

(it had a bunch of worthless ports made, not nearly as good).

this is crazy!

jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 11:27:36 AM »

Yeah...I saw your townhall post title "Freaking Meatbags on Steam!" and thought it was a rant about Steam's user community, so I didn't read it. Facepalm

This looks hilariously fun...
WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 11:52:06 AM »

Yeah...I saw your townhall post title "Freaking Meatbags on Steam!" and thought it was a rant about Steam's user community, so I didn't read it. Facepalm
Plausible interpretation! (I didn't see that)

This looks hilariously fun...

Thanks

WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 03:41:41 AM »

Jet pack done!

WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 02:40:32 PM »

I'm working on the new mode, the arena:
I stop working, because I played it too much!!

You will bet on how much wave you will survive!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:12:31 PM by WildFactor » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic