Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 07:57:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesUnpolished Gems
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Unpolished Gems  (Read 22477 times)
wourme
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 13, 2007, 04:52:11 PM »

Seeing one of Jazzuo's games featured reminded me of something I'd been meaning to post about for a while now.

I've been involved with the Game Maker community for a few years, and in that time I've seen some games get attention in other places. Similarly, some Multimedia Fusion games become popular among people who may or may not know or care that they are created using MMF.

Of course, for each game that is noticed (or at least acknowledged) outside such communities, there are many, many others that never make that leap. I'd be interested to know about some of these games.

I'm a fan of games that have a lot of heart but not a lot of polish. Sometimes I like my homebrew games to look obviously homebrew, while having something about them that makes them worth playing.

In case that makes no sense, I'll list a few examples that I've come across over the years in the Game Maker community. And I hope that others might have some recommendations from other places.

--

La La Land series by Biggt
This is a series of five games, each of which is very short and surreal and contains some sort of (sometimes vague) moral message.

La La Land 2
La La Land 3
La La Land 4

Destruere Pizzicato by RabidBolweewil
This is a short game that was never actually finished, but it's unique and has a final scene that's worth seeing.

Destruere Pizzicato
Destruere Pizzicato 2

Johnny series by Sparlatacus
This is a series of 16 (and counting) games, in which most of the challenge comes from fighting with the controls. Probably the least accessible thing I could list here (unless I listed other games by Sparlatacus).

Johnny 2
Johnny 5
Johnny 16

BDS Puzzleworld by Random
BDS stands for "badly drawn sprites." No need to elaborate on that, but I think that this is a very clever puzzle game.

BDS Puzzleworld

Water Panic by Oliver Broad
This game may not be as rough as some of the others I've listed, but it definitely has the quality I'm looking for.

Water Panic

--

I could list many more, and I might if there's any interest. Given these examples, I hope that someone else will be able to name examples of what I'm looking for in other places.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 12:25:25 AM by wourme » Logged
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 05:03:01 PM »

I just played Broken knuckle, I don't know where it originates from but the author postd it in these forums a while ago. It's beat-em-up with totally crap graphics but a lot of character, you get to fight napoleon and zombie-caesar.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ChevyRay
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 07:21:44 PM »

Oddly enough, the only Johnny game I ever played was yours Tongue and I played it right to the end as a matter of fact!
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 07:41:33 PM »

I just played Broken knuckle, I don't know where it originates from but the author postd it in these forums a while ago. It's beat-em-up with totally crap graphics but a lot of character, you get to fight napoleon and zombie-caesar.

Yep, that was mine. It was our entry in last years 4 elements competition. 2nd place. The graphics are Nizzate's fault, but that was the style we were going for(Well at least thats our best excuse).
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=148.0

And it wasn't made with mmf or gamemaker, it was coded by me in C++ with SDL.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 09:22:35 AM by HandCraftedRadio » Logged

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 11:29:45 PM »

Great thread, wourme!

There was an old RPG that I loved called Sword of Cobalt.  MMF game.  As far as I know, you can't download the game anywhere anymore.  The game itself was unfinished, but it had great atmosphere and charming characters.  I really, truly thought that game was great.

What's funny is that I mentioned the game in an interview once and then the creator contacted me.  Apparently he's a comic artist in Tokyo now, working with an underground comics label called Mashcomix!  Isn't life rad?

I'll have to see if I can dig this game up and host it.
wourme
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 12:46:40 AM »

Here are a few more.

--

Destroyermech by Oddwarg
It was hard to decide which of Oddwarg's games to mention. I was going to choose Surphasm, but it doesn't seem to be in the GMG archive at the moment.

Destroyermech

Ball Fall by Brian Elting
This is one that I've played many times.

Ball Fall

Crush by Coolmoose13
Walk through a city and destroy things.

Crush

Unshadowed by P.J. Richmond
A fun little adventure game.

Unshadowed

Janitor Joe by Andrew Brown
I'm including this one just because of the music on the title screen.

Janitor Joe
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 01:49:32 AM »

Damn, dude. Awesome thread! Thanks  Kiss

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 09:10:05 AM »

I'll have to check some of these out...I have recently started getting into looking at a lot of homebrew type games (using RPGMaker, Game Maker etc..) and have found a veritable cache of great games for free:) I was a console gamer for many years but when I started delving into PC games I started to realize that there was a definite creative gap between what as being released on consoles and what was being released on PCs, this inevitably led me to indie games and the whole DIY approach (which being into Punk Rock/Indie Rock appealed immensely to me) and I am incredibly grateful that I have found these rare gems. I think that this is the best time ever to be a gamer!

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
ChevyRay
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 04:16:42 PM »

I was a big fan of Oddwarg's games back in the day, and beat several of them, including Major Malfunction, Animal RPG, and Destroyermech. What a strange assortment of graphics he always used.
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 09:17:07 PM »

There's a La La Land 5, you know.

Oh, I do like this series.
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 08:15:56 AM »

Here's something cool I rediscovered just today:

Clyde's Adventure

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 07:30:01 PM »

Here's something cool I rediscovered just today:

Clyde's Adventure

DUDE! Thank you for resurfacing memories long lost. I used to love this game. Lets see if my perception's changed any.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 10:05:53 AM »

Heh, well, if you get into it, let me know. I'm totally stuck in the 6th level of the second part and I don't think anybody else is playing it Smiley

sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 07:30:26 PM »

I prefer Clyde's Revenge because it doesn't penalize you every time you walk or jump.
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 09:55:45 PM »

It amazes me that Knytt, WaDF, and Lyle in Cube Sector were all made in Multimedia Fusion.  It is such a rough tool, and I'm constantly surprised what people have created with it.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Chrissketch
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 11:15:38 PM »

So I guess rough, unpolished games are to hipster gamers as Daniel Johnston (and such music) is to hipster music lovers. Not an insult, as I do have affinity towards both. Just a casual observation.
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 02:41:27 PM »

Runman's Monster Fracas, by the same guy that made Crush. Have always loved this game.

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 05:44:37 PM »

Runman's Monster Fracas, by the same guy that made Crush. Have always loved this game.
Absopositively. I've never laughed so hard playing a game.

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 02:19:10 PM »

I prefer his Acwabatiacs game, actually Smiley
http://coolmoose.net/cmp.php

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 02:21:20 PM »

I enjoy all of his games... not sure why I like Monster Fracas best though. There's just something irresistable about it.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic