Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:13:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 673127 times)
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2900 on: October 02, 2012, 03:54:48 PM »

What did you "made"? the colors? i don't see what is specific to Sublime2

I "made" nothing, I just fetched a lot of stuff and changed some settings to stitch together some of st2 features... and it's specific to sublime because well, I was copying that all the time Smiley

B_ill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2901 on: October 03, 2012, 06:27:38 PM »

Put the finishing touches on my first to-be-published game this week! Woohoo!

Now it's sent off to the one guy on the team with a proper tablet to test it...fingers crossed that everything works well. I came in towards the latter half of the project, with the core gameplay already in place. Spent a solid month adding features, polishing the GUI and menus, and implementing some neato effects that really help with the player experience.

I'm in love with the ridiculously fast iterative development cycle achievable in Unity.

Beer!

Game Programmer and Designer
Latest Release: Chemical Cubes for Android and Kindle Fire (iOS coming soon)
voidSkipper
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: October 03, 2012, 08:16:44 PM »

I highly suggest this book: Thinking, Fast and Slow

Basically, people repress their instincts with active thinking. First few chapters point out why thinking can be blinding.

Alcohol represses this urge to thinking about it, leaving only the part of your brain that wants to do stuff. Someone who has manners and good grammar drilled into them becomes even more charming with alcohol. Someone who is instinctively crude will have their manners suppressed by alcohol.

So, it can make you more creative if you're already good enough at it that you can do it without thinking. A good writer becomes better under alcohol. A drunk 10 year old won't be able to write anything.

I'm glad there's some science behind it. My drunk code is always confusing as fuck but works perfectly.

Also I have some of my best ideas while smashed.
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: October 05, 2012, 10:01:58 AM »

Oh man, oh man! PDTP server now uses UDP

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: October 06, 2012, 04:40:55 PM »

I got annoyed that Sublime Text 2 is only available to those nasty guys programming with non-native languages (read: not C++) so I maed this:

It turned out pretty nice, I'm only missing "GoTo Anything" and the smooth scrolling so far!

(if anyone wants hints on how to do this, I can make some info dump Smiley )
That is great, I love sublimetext and the monokai theme. I would be up for an info dump. A copy of your visual studio settings file would also save alot of hassle  Gentleman

_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2905 on: October 06, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »

That is great, I love sublimetext and the monokai theme. I would be up for an info dump. A copy of your visual studio settings file would also save alot of hassle  Gentleman

uhm... I used the VS Themes extension for VS2012 to make my custom theme, and I can't really figure out how to export the theme... I don't know if the GUI colors are included in the .vssettings Undecided

Anyways, here is the whole settings dump if you can manage to import the right stuff Smiley

Other than the colors:
(note: you can't do this with VS express pretty much everything relies on extensions)
*added indent guides using the (aptly named) Indent Guides extension
*removed all the menu widgets except from Standard (I don't use the mouse anyway)
*removed the REALLY CAPSLOCKED MENU BAR using the VSCommands11 extension + "auto-hide menu bar" option
*The scrollbar was made hacking together pieces of Power Commands 2010 using the workaround described here (the old extension doesn't work under VS2012)
*enabled line numbers on the left
*Bound Visual Assist X actions "open any file" and "go to any symbol" to Ctrl+O and Ctrl+P (they actually map "go to anything" pretty well)

well, that's it, just lots of clicking!

DannyCalleri
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2906 on: October 07, 2012, 02:14:28 AM »

I'm loving new Visual Studio 2012 interface Smiley I used to emulate the dark theme on my 2008 version, but now I can't believe that's built-in! Lovely! :D
Do you now if is it possible to theme XCode like this?

Hi Tommo! :D

Danny Calleri - Twitter
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2907 on: October 15, 2012, 11:37:09 PM »

Wrote a simple entity/component game kernel with grouping and "nice" game states like in flixel in 1.5 hours, worked first time. Oh Java + Eclipse, you just write yourself. Was a breath of fresh air after working in C/++ heavily for the last 540 days or so, and a fun example to give to my brother. Ofc some hacks snuck in burning off lines that fast, but at least they were hacks that worked first time Giggle

Need to work with my brother to add sprite rendering, sounds and AABB + probably line physics, since that's more than enough to get started, considering open sourcing it if it matures. Hopefully I can get him into making some games either way Wink

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: October 16, 2012, 01:26:26 AM »

neet
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: October 16, 2012, 08:02:55 AM »

Oh man, oh man! PDTP server now uses UDP

I like that color theme, what program/skin is it?
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2910 on: October 16, 2012, 08:23:47 AM »

Eclipse with... Oblivion I think
nospoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: October 16, 2012, 10:58:23 AM »

yay! Voxels.

raycasting 32x32 volume on my integrated GPU (intel something HD), 20+fps

Ok. Now only to implement sparse voxel octree and emoquit cause it will be too slow anyway.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2912 on: October 16, 2012, 10:39:39 PM »

Thank god my GLES 2 skinned shader finally works

Edit: I shall reward myself with a snack...

Master of all trades.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2913 on: October 16, 2012, 11:05:01 PM »

@nospoon haha I did that recently, though my voxels were quite a bit less soft edged and artefacted Smiley my performance scales with res so for low res I was actually getting 30+ fps when zooming about in a 128x128x64 volume. Got ~5% improvement using SVOctrees which makes me think my implementation was bad, but it was educational for an afternoons coding.

Nowhere near voxlap performance or quality because lets face it you cant write super fast quality code in an afternoon Tongue

@PompiPompi \o/ I love that feeling

Grungi_Ankhfire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: October 16, 2012, 11:47:49 PM »

To keep things voxel-related...

I'm making a voxel-based item editor in Panda3D, which is going to output tri meshes (think of them as Fez's 'triles'). This morning I went from having each cube rendered separately to creating the final mesh on the fly, updating as needed. It went much better than I had anticipated, and that brings me very close to having the tool that fits my original goal.

Yay!
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: October 17, 2012, 01:28:56 AM »

Does anyone know how to do the transformations from 3D to screen? I really want to learn how this magic works
Grungi_Ankhfire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: October 17, 2012, 01:55:59 AM »

Does anyone know how to do the transformations from 3D to screen? I really want to learn how this magic works

Wikipedia is actually a good starting point for that question :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_projection

In short, you need to create a projection operator. Have fun!
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2917 on: October 17, 2012, 02:21:19 AM »

I did them by hand for that voxel thing above, and for a related point cloud renderer.

The wiki article on projection is good, but basically you transform to camera space by translating everything by the camera's translation, then rotating by the camera's rotation, then scaling by the camera's zoom, and then project onto the plane Z = 0, for ortho. For perspective, depends how you want to model it. You can scale the coords towards the camera based on their distance, or just the Z coord from the camera, or a bunch of other stuff really.

Obviously it's quite a bit nicer to have a transformation matrix for your camera + projection (simple enough to generate each frame if you keep the transforms separate, or you can work directly with the matrix + normalise each frame) so doing that translate, rotate, scale, project is just one matrix multiplication.

nospoon
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: October 17, 2012, 03:13:53 AM »

(...)

(...)
How did you render the voxels ?
Using gl_points, or shaders(gpu raycasting) ?
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2919 on: October 17, 2012, 04:10:44 AM »

CPU raycasting

Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic