Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:41:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 678391 times)
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: January 03, 2013, 01:09:10 AM »

Couldn't you just sync the voice with video in your video editing software? That would be simple and clean  Tongue

Possibly. Up until recently, I edited with QuickTime Pro, which is extremely basic and doesn't give me any facilities for that. I bought Sony Vegas last week though, and haven't completely gotten to know it yet. I'll have to look around and see if it has a way to stretch the audio track by just a tiny bit. It's hard to beat the amount of effort it takes now that my stretch utility is written, though; record, save WAV file, run one command to stretch it, and import into Vegas. Nice and easy.

sony vegas is so awesome. My favourite video editing suite by far.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3101 on: January 03, 2013, 08:14:29 AM »

sony vegas is so awesome. My favourite video editing suite by far.

Yep... I compared it to a whole bunch of different editing suites while I was shopping around, and it was the best by far. Now that I've used it for a while, I am running into a bit of instability (one of the complaints I'd heard about it before having used it), but it's only been a minor inconvenience. I can put up with a crash every once in a while when it's so awesome otherwise.

AlexStv
Level 0

Based on real events!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3102 on: January 04, 2013, 04:08:40 AM »

I decided to try making a voxel engine in Unity a week ago and it's just too damn fun to stop. I'm using four layers of 2d Perlin noise to generate terrain and rendering it in chunks of 16x16x16.

I'm going to have to add another layer of dirt around the bases of the mountains because they start a little suddenly as it is now, also it will look like erosion if I get it right.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 04:29:38 AM by AlexStv » Logged

George Michaels
Level 0

I like big butts and I can not lie

View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: January 04, 2013, 03:50:12 PM »

Wrote an entity engine last night, tried to compile it this morning and the only errors I got where a few syntax ones. All functionality works perfectly. My mind is blown.

I'm having one of these moments:

Yeah, that.
Sergi
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3104 on: January 04, 2013, 04:03:47 PM »

Every now and then you get the rare pleasure of coding your ass off for a couple of hours, and seeing how it compiles without errors and works perfectly. Cherish it.

Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3105 on: January 05, 2013, 04:13:22 AM »

Every now and then you get the rare pleasure of coding your ass off for a couple of hours, and seeing how it compiles without errors and works perfectly. Cherish it.
It's means all your bugs are hidden Lips Sealed Oh, wait, it's the happy thread, nevermind  Wink

Liosan

RalenHlaalo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3106 on: January 05, 2013, 08:09:45 AM »

Tried to implement proper resource management in my engine so that I can have large, seamless levels (unlike in my previous game), and it appears to work.. But I didn't do any research beforehand, so I'm not sure how sane my solution is (details here for anyone who wants to check it out).

ChevyRay
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: January 05, 2013, 09:26:09 AM »

That makes sense, I've written very similar code before (9-segments loaded at once, unload/load sets of 3 as you move).

One thing I usually do is separate the static terrain/details from the changing ones. So for example, each segment would have a TERRAIN file and a DATA file, and basically, the DATA file stores global information. Then I could do something like this when a segment is loaded:

Look at the data file
Has segment been visited?
   Has segment been recently visited (check timestamp)?
      Leave data file as-is
   else
      Reset data file (which can have new random stuff in it)
else
   Initialize data file

Load data file into segment

So now if I drop an item, walk a couple tiles away, then return to that tile, it will re-load the data which has the item I dropped still sitting there. But if I leave, and come back 10 minutes later, the timestamp (or travelstamp) will detect that I've been away for a long time, so when it loads it, it can load it up with something new.

So just think of DATA as variable changing terrain/details, and each segment can have its own instructions about what it loads based on the above conditions combined with conditions marked out either in the map file or the TERRAIN file (eg. type of area, near a town, near water, on a road, etc.)
Chill3r
« Reply #3108 on: January 06, 2013, 11:09:57 AM »

You know that awesome moment when you rework your old code and suddenly..... Smooth 4,5k fps.... Ouuu yeahhh Smiley
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: January 06, 2013, 12:44:17 PM »

Limit the FPS dawg it's gonna burn itself
goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3110 on: January 07, 2013, 01:58:12 AM »

Now, display it. Cool

You know that awesome moment when you rework your old code and suddenly..... Smooth 4,5k fps.... Ouuu yeahhh Smiley

Chill3r
« Reply #3111 on: January 07, 2013, 05:38:35 AM »

Sure the FPS will be limited in the final version, but for now I keep it unlimited to show how stable it works;)
SeaWyrm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3112 on: January 08, 2013, 10:27:28 PM »

About a week and a half ago, I worked on coding a feature for the game I'm working on, ran into several problems, kept digging myself in deeper, and eventually reverted all the changes back to the last version of the game that worked.
Today I took another crack at it and got it clean, with only minor stumbling blocks that were quickly resolved. Now the door can tell the difference between the switch being hit and the player just walking up and spamming the interact button at it.  Grin

I'm writing monthly Douglas Adams-esque short stories on Patreon: Doomsday Comet and the Twelve Moons of Beledde IV
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: January 09, 2013, 10:25:17 PM »

After enough struggling and swearing at anything, everything suddenly clicks and you understand why everything functioned in such an annoying manner Smiley
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: January 10, 2013, 06:27:07 AM »

Working on a multitierd system where a lot of functionality has been delegated to a giant global class that handles tons of unrelated tasks.

You'd think it would be a grumpy programmer post but the good side of this is that it's really shown me the value of dependency injection.

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: January 10, 2013, 11:09:47 AM »

Figured out how to make online high scores work via the Kongregate API.

It's like, one moment you feel retarded because it shouldn't be taking this long, and the next it suddenly works and everything's alright in the world.
Martyr
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: January 10, 2013, 11:22:58 AM »

Quadtrees, so wonderful Tears of Joy

_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3117 on: January 10, 2013, 02:44:51 PM »

I've switched to a fixed-timestep rendering cycle that is fixed to the vsync, and I'm measuring the performance of my game in terms of "used timestep percent".
It makes so much more sense to see "9%" instead of a meaningless 694 fps Smiley

everyone, stop using FPS as a metric!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3118 on: January 10, 2013, 03:42:30 PM »

I've switched to a fixed-timestep rendering cycle that is fixed to the vsync, and I'm measuring the performance of my game in terms of "used timestep percent".
It makes so much more sense to see "9%" instead of a meaningless 694 fps Smiley

everyone, stop using FPS as a metric!

i already do that, stop yelling at me! Wink

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: January 10, 2013, 03:44:14 PM »

I decided to try making a voxel engine in Unity a week ago and it's just too damn fun to stop. I'm using four layers of 2d Perlin noise to generate terrain and rendering it in chunks of 16x16x16.

I'm going to have to add another layer of dirt around the bases of the mountains because they start a little suddenly as it is now, also it will look like erosion if I get it right.
I couldn't get unity to render more than 100x100 blocks last time I checked Sad

Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic