Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:10:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 672981 times)
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3120 on: January 10, 2013, 04:23:18 PM »

I've switched to a fixed-timestep rendering cycle that is fixed to the vsync, and I'm measuring the performance of my game in terms of "used timestep percent".
It makes so much more sense to see "9%" instead of a meaningless 694 fps Smiley

Nice! I may have to adopt that myself.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: January 10, 2013, 09:18:51 PM »

9% makes no sense to me, for now. Could anyone elaborate?
Sean A.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: January 10, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »

9% makes no sense to me, for now. Could anyone elaborate?
I think he means if the refresh rate is 60Hz each step is 1/60 of a second. The 9% refers to how much of the step is actually used so theoretically he has 91% of the step left for more calculations. Once the percent is > 100% you will see lag because it takes longer than the allocated time to render the frame.
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3123 on: January 11, 2013, 03:26:03 AM »

I think he means if the refresh rate is 60Hz each step is 1/60 of a second. The 9% refers to how much of the step is actually used so theoretically he has 91% of the step left for more calculations. Once the percent is > 100% you will see lag because it takes longer than the allocated time to render the frame.

yeah, exactly Beer!
Too bad on the PC this is not "exact" in any way as the number of instructions you can run in a timestep varies from machine to machine...
but on iOS, Android and consoles it works really great when you're developing on your minimum supported device: ie. you can aim for, say, 100% of the iPhone 4.

@eigenbom: I might have actually taken inspiration from something you posted around here Smiley

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3124 on: January 11, 2013, 04:52:31 AM »

6 days ahead of schedule!

usually this means I can work on my own projects on company time. Assuming they dont think of new features they would like me to implement. 50/50 chance of that.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: January 11, 2013, 04:54:14 AM »

I think I appreciate Swing now as well. It's amszing how there really isn't a multiplatform GUI implementation out there that solves all problems. I guess it's just too difficult of a problem to take on.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3126 on: January 11, 2013, 12:49:03 PM »

yeah, exactly Beer!
Too bad on the PC this is not "exact" in any way as the number of instructions you can run in a timestep varies from machine to machine...
but on iOS, Android and consoles it works really great when you're developing on your minimum supported device: ie. you can aim for, say, 100% of the iPhone 4.

@eigenbom: I might have actually taken inspiration from something you posted around here Smiley

oh no, you shouldn't read my posts! i have no idea what i'm doing.. Who, Me?

Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: January 11, 2013, 12:53:08 PM »

Yay, I just spent 3 days at work profiling a very specific piece of code, not able to find the problem... I didn't even believe the profile when I saw it, it said that 98% of the 2.2s routine is spent in one 5-line function with tiny loop. And then - presto! I found it Well, hello there! Changed 5 characters and sped up the whole thing 40x times (down to 50ms). The loop wasn't related (of course, that would be too obvious). Most spectacular profiling evar Ninja

Liosan

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: January 11, 2013, 12:54:55 PM »

50ms is still a lot...
Liosan
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3129 on: January 11, 2013, 01:01:02 PM »

50ms is still a lot...
Heh, I don't do games at work Smiley We're talking about deallocating over a million objects (emergency cache eviction). I'm happy with 50ms Smiley

Liosan

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: January 11, 2013, 01:23:43 PM »

Ah, then it's ok. I thought it was something for a game which would be bad Smiley
Signal Walker
Level 0

World Champion 1995

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3131 on: January 11, 2013, 04:37:55 PM »

Programming Pong in C# (with XNA) as the first game I will have ever made not using Gamemaker, everything has worked within the first few tries at programming whatever it is. I've just got to add the "ball" (Which will just be a resized paddle because I'm lazy) and the scoring functionality and I'll be done!

Mastodon - @AshWalker
Rotonde - @Ash
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3132 on: January 11, 2013, 05:44:08 PM »

Congrats to all on their successes. Smiley

Found a long-outstanding bug today. About once every four hours or so I would get a mysterious crash, and going through the stack trace yielded only hints each time. Because it crashed so infrequently, and I couldn't trigger it, all I could do was make additional tweaks to catch unusual cases as I went about work on other tasks. The bug has been outstanding for months. Nothing seemed to catch it.

Until yesterday. I got it down to a narrow region of code, manually went through every step of the code, and found a call that inadvertently truncated a 64-bit value to a 32-bit value, and then immediately back to 64-bit. This call was only made under rare circumstances. Sometimes- and only sometimes- this contained a 64-bit memory address. This truncation clipped the top off of the address, causing the crash later in the code (not immediately, of course, that would be too easy).

I've not had the crash since.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3133 on: January 11, 2013, 07:00:08 PM »

I got it down to a narrow region of code, manually went through every step of the code, and found a call that inadvertently truncated a 64-bit value to a 32-bit value, and then immediately back to 64-bit. This call was only made under rare circumstances. Sometimes- and only sometimes- this contained a 64-bit memory address. This truncation clipped the top off of the address, causing the crash later in the code (not immediately, of course, that would be too easy).

Yikes! Sounds like a good time for stricter compiler warnings/static analysis/not storing pointer values in integer variables. Good that you managed to track it down - fixing that sort of bug usually leaves me feeling more grumpy than satisfied (though also relieved).

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3134 on: January 11, 2013, 10:38:16 PM »

Yikes! Sounds like a good time for stricter compiler warnings/static analysis/not storing pointer values in integer variables. Good that you managed to track it down - fixing that sort of bug usually leaves me feeling more grumpy than satisfied (though also relieved).

I couldn't agree more. Smiley In my defence:

not storing pointer values in integer variables

Storing pointers in ints is a terrible idea 9999 times out of 10000 (there are far better mechanisms), but alas, it's what Ruby does for values, and for a good reason (it's the only 1 in 10000 I know of!).

The bug was in my wrapper library which is designed to hide this (and other) nastiness from the main code, but the wrapper itself has a good chunk of "dirty code" to make the interface nicer.

stricter compiler warnings

Didn't catch it! I'm using gcc, -Wall, and a stack of other options. I've even got a custom builder that upgrades certain warnings to *errors* and stops the build if it sees them. It still wasn't enough! I think the file with the bug in it came through warning-free.

If I was using MSVC++, I *think* it would have found it, but it probably would have used the dreaded C4244 warnings, which throw more false positives than anything I have ever *seen*, and many library writers disable as a matter of course.

static analysis

Did I mention "dirty code". Wink

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3135 on: January 12, 2013, 06:08:00 AM »

Use -pedantic Wink
AlexStv
Level 0

Based on real events!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3136 on: January 13, 2013, 04:35:49 AM »

I decided to try making a voxel engine in Unity a week ago and it's just too damn fun to stop. I'm using four layers of 2d Perlin noise to generate terrain and rendering it in chunks of 16x16x16.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-abLP30P4Ho8/UOYyzzixHrI/AAAAAAAAC7c/ZoHOGUruheA/s1600/terrain+coloured.png

I'm going to have to add another layer of dirt around the bases of the mountains because they start a little suddenly as it is now, also it will look like erosion if I get it right.
I couldn't get unity to render more than 100x100 blocks last time I checked Sad

I'm rendering it in chunks of 16 x 16 where each chunk generates a mesh of all the visible faces within it and renders with Unity's mesh class, then it just updates the mesh and when the chunk is modified. That picture is a total of 14 x 14 x 150 game object chunks.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: January 13, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »

Can anyone tell me how I can start C with Windows? I'm getting sick of Java and C seems extremely appealing. I'll be a happy programmer if anyone can

not fucking c++ google, not fucking c++. im sick of fucking fuckkedy having to quote c like "c" to get results for c, whats this bullshit google, get real. now. please
Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: January 13, 2013, 04:29:30 PM »

http://www.mingw.org/ is a windows port of the gnu compiler collection and some other tools, including the C compiler.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: January 13, 2013, 04:42:37 PM »

or maybe you could run ubuntu in a virtual machine, forgot what it's called ah wait wubi.
because programming c in linux is very nice where windows is sort of painful to set it up in and work.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic