Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:33:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 673136 times)
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3380 on: May 10, 2013, 04:11:20 AM »

Ok so it's still not easy to make most games with it.
I guess we'll have to wait for someone to make libraries or have time to make full game engines from games they made with D.
I wish I could do that but I really cannot spend time on this these days.
> have direct access to SDL using a language
>"not easy to make most games"

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3381 on: May 10, 2013, 04:21:26 AM »

Quote from: Klaim
More seriously, I'm talking about 3D libraries, and ones that benefit from D's RAII.

Also, I don't like SDL at all.

Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #3382 on: May 10, 2013, 01:49:02 PM »

Got my sprite sheet system up and working! Now I can sleep peacefully <3

Update: same with my Camera system. It feels good to fight procrastination.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 03:23:39 PM by Dr. Cooldude » Logged
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: May 11, 2013, 01:01:22 AM »

Made a server/client system that uses UDP. I can detect timeouts!
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #3384 on: May 11, 2013, 03:44:40 AM »

I can't believe that it once took me a week to learn how to set up a working tile system, and today I did it in only 5 minutes Shocked
Solace
Level 0

Hacking away on Tower Storm

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3385 on: May 11, 2013, 03:49:59 AM »

Nice work! I have enough problems making my networking stack play nicely with TCP. What kind of game is this for?

Multiplayer Tower Defense in your browser - http://www.towerstorm.com (Android + iOS coming soon!)
powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3386 on: May 11, 2013, 03:50:37 AM »

Dr.Cooldude, you also once took a long time to learn how to stand up and take a few wobbly steps, but now you don't think that much about walking. Shouldn't be too surprising.
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #3387 on: May 11, 2013, 04:11:44 AM »

Dr.Cooldude, you also once took a long time to learn how to stand up and take a few wobbly steps, but now you don't think that much about walking. Shouldn't be too surprising.
Yeah, that's right of course. It just made me kind of happy to see that I can do these kind of things faster now, even though that's completely obvious. Smiley
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: May 11, 2013, 05:15:13 AM »

Nice work! I have enough problems making my networking stack play nicely with TCP. What kind of game is this for?

A real time space shooter, however I ended up with a lot of issues and switched to TCP
powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3389 on: May 12, 2013, 04:03:39 AM »

Yeah, that's right of course. It just made me kind of happy to see that I can do these kind of things faster now, even though that's completely obvious. Smiley

Sorry if I was a bit blunt, the moments where you clearly see your improvement are indeed cool, it's way too long since I had one!
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #3390 on: May 12, 2013, 04:56:06 AM »

Sorry if I was a bit blunt, the moments where you clearly see your improvement are indeed cool, it's way too long since I had one!

Heh, it's cool. Wink I might enjoy this happiness before I get more experienced then Tongue
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #3391 on: May 18, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »

So I am currently working on some webdesign for my site, and I want it to be responsive. So I tried to make a top navigation bar, and it really screwed up. I almost gave up until I found this on Google:

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/responsive-web-nav/
Demo: http://media02.hongkiat.com/responsive-web-nav/demo/index.html (try to resize the window)

God damn I love you Internet.
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #3392 on: May 18, 2013, 03:22:27 PM »

Also, http://www.initializr.com/ <- this is awesome
aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: May 18, 2013, 10:44:25 PM »

MUAAHAHAHAH!!?!?! about 2 months in on learning to program, making decent progress! I figured out how to program in c, and how to use media libraries for graphics and junk, and now I've been learning higher level languages, settled on python for now, then will go back to c++

anyways I think in another month or two or so and I can start working on my own game engine. I feel confident enough that I could get started right now with game maker. I fired it up again for a couple of days earlier in the week and I have a much better understanding of coding now, but I want to learn more and try building my own genre specific engines.

_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3394 on: May 19, 2013, 07:27:37 PM »

I have finally added a decent shader system to my engine Beer!Hand Shake Right

It turned out pretty nice, and I was able to make the mandatory Earth without hacking anything Shrug
Here's a screenshot, because it turned out pretty cool:

Also, yay!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 07:45:51 PM by _Tommo_ » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: May 19, 2013, 07:48:02 PM »

It only lacks AA
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3396 on: May 20, 2013, 03:12:03 AM »

It only lacks AA

Yeah. The blurry atmosphere should make up for it though, but I messed up the gradient Huh?

Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #3397 on: May 20, 2013, 04:12:16 AM »

I have finally added a decent shader system to my engine Beer!Hand Shake Right

It turned out pretty nice, and I was able to make the mandatory Earth without hacking anything Shrug
Here's a screenshot, because it turned out pretty cool:

Also, yay!

Nice, congrats!

I am still brain dead when it's about 3D APIs such as OpenGL for example, but man I really need to start learning this stuff soon! Tired
Sir Wolf
Level 0

A wolf cub growing up

View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: May 22, 2013, 11:04:58 AM »

Started working on my first real team programming effort today. A bit terrifying in part. I spent quite some time just thinking what kind of interface a class should have, because someone else than me is going to come their merry way and have to use that. Am I commenting enough? Too much? Am I polluting the version control log with too frequent tiny commits? I really want to do well, and at the same time I'm not sure whether I spend too much time thinking that stuff when I should be productive.

In any case, this is really exciting for me, and I can't wait to get back to work tomorrow!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shawn
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: May 22, 2013, 01:35:54 PM »

Sir Wolf: it's best to have a discussion with the team and collaboratively design the system. Then just split the work. That way everyone knows what to expect, how will the system look when it's done.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic