Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:56:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 672863 times)
indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: March 24, 2014, 04:31:43 AM »

Ah, haha. Then maybe there wasn't any delay... I'm not sure.

While sticking to the wall, you can hit 'up' to jump off of it. But it feels like, as soon as you let go of the wall, you start sliding down and the jump doesn't respond as well. That might also be because I press the direction away from the wall when I jump (Meaning, if I'm on the left wall, I press right+up). This seems to immediately pull me away from the wall, though, and I can't jump off it.

I did notice that, if I hold against the wall (holding 'left' to stick to the left wall, for example) and then jump, it feels great. But then I need to switch directions mid-air to get the most distance from it.

So, if you just add some delay between letting go of the button and falling away from the wall (Release left button -> 20ms -> start sliding down), you could jump off in the opposite direction with just as much force as if you had stayed against the wall, without worrying about air-steer or anything.

I found an interview with Tommy Refenes (I think it might've been in Indie Game, actually) where he talked about the particulars of the physics used in Meat Boy, and he added a slight delay similar to this to make everything feel more natural. I feel like I might be over-explaining it, though, and if I'm just over-complicating everything for you, then ignore this. Tongue

To answer your question- They overlap. I have everything drawn as one composite bitmap image, and it just splits the 'wallmap' into two parts, based on the player's y coordinate: One that's layered under the player, and one over it. It also works with multiple objects on-screen, so that the wallmap can be split as many times as it needs to be, layering between the objects.

thanks a lot for the explanation, I got your point now :D . I've been playing meat boy from 2 days and its really great. Is

the video you are talking about or

EDIT:found it, this is the link

EDIT 2: I modified the wall jumping as you mentioned, check it out : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70467204/WallJump/WallJump.html

EDIT 3: It still has some bugs, guess I will have to change my wall sliding and jumping logic :/ . I was wondering if there is any tutorial or basic logic that I can follow to do a wall slide and jump?

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 09:18:29 AM by indie11 » Logged

Azure Lazuline
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3701 on: March 24, 2014, 05:14:40 AM »

[awesome tileset connecting thing]

That looks great, but one thing that bugs me is that if you rotate the map 90 degrees, the collision actually changes, since tiles are not 1 tile high vertically. As in, a horizontal wall is thinner than a vertical wall. I'm not sure if this is an actual problem or not, but it's worth thinking about!

Shadowspaz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3702 on: March 24, 2014, 09:19:57 AM »

That looks great, but one thing that bugs me is that if you rotate the map 90 degrees, the collision actually changes, since tiles are not 1 tile high vertically. As in, a horizontal wall is thinner than a vertical wall. I'm not sure if this is an actual problem or not, but it's worth thinking about!

That's only because I suck at art. Tongue Just trying to get the perspective decent, that's all. Each wall is stored in memory as a full tile, and then rendered differently based on what walls are around them, and then uses that to draw the collision data. So you could rotate the data 90°, but it'll still render the same way.

There is a very good chance that I'll revisit the walls once the code is finished, and I'm just doing art, because there will be a lot of it. And I'll probably get better at it. lol

indie11: Oh my god. That feels a LOT better already. And now, I don't think I know enough about your code to be picky enough to be useful anymore. You know where the bugs are, so I'll trust you get them worked out.  Beer!

Also, I have never seen that Indie game video in my life. But that is my exact point. And I'm a little weirded out/honored that his delay was so close to what I suggested. xD But I haven't worked with wall jumps before... I think the basic approach you have is pretty solid, though. Just with the initial horizontal/vertical kickoff against gravity. The rest is just the gravity system, I would think. I would just approach each bug on a one-by-one basis.

Oh, and the art style reminds me of Thomas Was Alone. Keep doing that.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 09:34:44 AM by Shadowspaz » Logged

Check out my devlog!
indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: March 24, 2014, 11:40:23 AM »

That's only because I suck at art. Tongue Just trying to get the perspective decent, that's all. Each wall is stored in memory as a full tile, and then rendered differently based on what walls are around them, and then uses that to draw the collision data. So you could rotate the data 90°, but it'll still render the same way.

There is a very good chance that I'll revisit the walls once the code is finished, and I'm just doing art, because there will be a lot of it. And I'll probably get better at it. lol

indie11: Oh my god. That feels a LOT better already. And now, I don't think I know enough about your code to be picky enough to be useful anymore. You know where the bugs are, so I'll trust you get them worked out.  Beer!

Also, I have never seen that Indie game video in my life. But that is my exact point. And I'm a little weirded out/honored that his delay was so close to what I suggested. xD But I haven't worked with wall jumps before... I think the basic approach you have is pretty solid, though. Just with the initial horizontal/vertical kickoff against gravity. The rest is just the gravity system, I would think. I would just approach each bug on a one-by-one basis.

Oh, and the art style reminds me of Thomas Was Alone. Keep doing that.

after closely analyzing meat boy, I've finally been able to achieve almost the same wall sliding and jumping behavior. WOHOOOO  Durr...?

Check it out: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70467204/WallJumpFixed/WallJumpFixed.html

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:48:32 AM by indie11 » Logged

Shadowspaz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3704 on: March 24, 2014, 02:10:15 PM »

Yeah, that's really awesome. When you jump against the wall, you slide up it slower than you would in Meat Boy, and the air steer feels a bit less... I want to say responsive, but that gives it a negative feel. All of these are positives: It feels GOOD, but it also feels different from Meat Boy in a couple ways, making it... Well, YOURS.

It's awesome. Now make a kickass game using this!

Check out my devlog!
indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3705 on: March 25, 2014, 09:19:12 PM »

Yeah, that's really awesome. When you jump against the wall, you slide up it slower than you would in Meat Boy, and the air steer feels a bit less... I want to say responsive, but that gives it a negative feel. All of these are positives: It feels GOOD, but it also feels different from Meat Boy in a couple ways, making it... Well, YOURS.

It's awesome. Now make a kickass game using this!

the sliding and air steer values are adjustable, just gotta play with them to get the right feel. Thanks for the feedback though  Smiley

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3706 on: April 01, 2014, 07:51:39 PM »

Reading up on MPI currently for uni. Peter Pacheco's guide just made me smile; paraphrasing "Like the std lib, most MPI funcs return error codes. Like most C programmers, we'll ignore them".

tiktokbob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: April 02, 2014, 02:21:17 AM »

C#

For some reason I didn't know you could pass a Delegate to List<T>.RemoveAll().  Shocked

I generally avoid using Lambda expressions & LINQ, because, well, Lambda expressions & LINQ.  I know I need to get my head around them one day and it shouldn't be too difficult as I'm reasonably well versed with SQL, but, yeah.

Anyways;

Suddenly, two foreach loops and an extra "removeStuff" list have become a single .RemoveAll(delegate) line.  This makes me happy.   Smiley
tiktokbob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: April 02, 2014, 02:37:29 AM »

Sorry to break up the "I finally found that damn bug" train (Although it is a great train to be on), but I just finished a very user-friendly level editor that I'll use to get experience designing puzzle games.

That's really great!  I've been doing something similar recently, building a bitmap pattern matching system to place wall tiles correctly by their surrounding wall tiles; it's really satisfying when that stuff comes together!
Shadowspaz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3709 on: April 02, 2014, 11:29:41 AM »

The finished level editor is right here if you want to see how it turned out. I'm pretty happy with it.

Check out my devlog!
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: April 04, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »

happy because my programmer art is evolving.
OniWorld
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3711 on: April 04, 2014, 11:23:38 AM »

prove it

Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: April 04, 2014, 02:38:06 PM »

prove it
escher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3713 on: April 08, 2014, 11:06:44 AM »

Got my first GLSL shader working properly.
RealityShifter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3714 on: April 08, 2014, 11:31:42 AM »

Just finished programming the server communication for a 2 player tower defense game O.O

Creativegametheory.com
@theorygeorgiou
jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: April 08, 2014, 02:01:41 PM »

Ah, very fun, I did that a couple weeks ago.  Smiley
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3716 on: April 08, 2014, 04:06:12 PM »

I remember that feeling. Well done.

Recently for me, I rewrote my sprite-renderer to output to a RenderTexture so I can apply fullscreen effects separate from the HUD or text overlay.

Turnover @ Steam
escher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3717 on: April 08, 2014, 07:37:23 PM »

I remember that feeling. Well done.

Recently for me, I rewrote my sprite-renderer to output to a RenderTexture so I can apply fullscreen effects separate from the HUD or text overlay.

Hah! I just saw your post on /r/devblogs. I'm actually looking to migrate from the basic SDL drawing to a pure OpenGL setup for a similar reason (hence the prototyping GLSL stuff).
jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: April 09, 2014, 04:07:41 AM »

I'm actually looking to migrate from the basic SDL drawing to a pure OpenGL setup for a similar reason (hence the prototyping GLSL stuff).

I'm doing something like that as well. Currently almost have a thing working which sends vertices/triangles only when sprites change visibility, uses a uniform buffer to pass the sprites' position/orientations every frame, and does the transformations in the shaders so all the sprites can be done in one draw call.

Dunno if it makes any sense to do it that way, but it's very cool that you can. Smiley

I've been keeping some notes about how the OpenGL API stuff works -- trying to build up a good overall picture of the ways you pass different types of data to the card, an Intel driver bug I ran into, all the little things that were difficult for me to extract from the reference materials and tutorials I found -- may not be useful to you depending on where you're at, but if you want to see them, let me know...

--Josh
tiktokbob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: April 09, 2014, 04:22:18 AM »

TDD code generator! Grin

Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic