Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:07:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 672921 times)
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3720 on: April 09, 2014, 05:59:45 AM »

Got my first GLSL shader working properly.

I remember that feeling. Well done.

Recently for me, I rewrote my sprite-renderer to output to a RenderTexture so I can apply fullscreen effects separate from the HUD or text overlay.

Hah! I just saw your post on /r/devblogs. I'm actually looking to migrate from the basic SDL drawing to a pure OpenGL setup for a similar reason (hence the prototyping GLSL stuff).

Hello reddit brethren!

You can't pull something like that off with SDL?

Turnover @ Steam
escher
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3721 on: April 09, 2014, 06:43:20 AM »

Hah! I just saw your post on /r/devblogs. I'm actually looking to migrate from the basic SDL drawing to a pure OpenGL setup for a similar reason (hence the prototyping GLSL stuff).

Hello reddit brethren!

You can't pull something like that off with SDL?

Somewhat, but to actually get access to shaders (or other low-level stuff), it seems like the method is to use SDL to generate the OpenGL context and run from there. I'm still just diving into the raw OpenGL stuff, so we'll see how much I need to do manually and how much I can leverage SDL to push stuff to OpenGL.

The big driving force for me was a shader setup to implement visibility. I'm pretty sure I could have rigged it up with straight SDL and blending, but switching over to proper GLSL opens a whole lot more doors, even if it is more work up front.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3722 on: April 09, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »

The Unity lip-sync script I've been working on has been coming together really well lately. There are a few more assets I need to make for testing purposes, and a few more refinements and features that need adding. But overall I'm hoping to have a version up on the Asset Store inside of the month. I finished the 2D Sprite version's coding yesterday, and it's working like a charm. Just have to finish creating the mouth poses on my 3D trial model and I'll be able to finish up the coding and adjustments for BlendShape support.
AODBAMF
Level 0

sup

View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: April 11, 2014, 01:37:53 AM »

Finished implementing MSAA without DirectX bitching anymore about multisampled rendertargets being used as normal Texture2D objects in HLSL and such. It's quite simple to do MSAA, but it feels very rewarding as the result makes a huge difference, especially when working on a voxel engine.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3724 on: April 15, 2014, 03:29:26 PM »

Finally fixed a bug I've been hacking at for three days. I was having issues with an OpenGL FBO. Basically, for a single frame, stuff would be drawn to a (somewhat) random texture instead of the FBOs texture. It was happening after a bunch of textures had been loaded. It seemed that my video RAM was being used up by loading all the textures, so my GPU would begin swapping textures in and out of memory (I'm assuming). So the FBOs texture would get swapped out of memory. I thought the GPU would swap it back in as soon as I bound the FBO to draw to it, but it seems it only swaps an FBOs texture back into memory when the texture itself is bound. So after loading all the other textures, I just had to do a single binding of the FBOs texture to make sure it was in memory.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3725 on: April 15, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »

Sounds like a driver bug! Might be worth reporting to the appropriate maintainers.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3726 on: April 15, 2014, 03:57:28 PM »

So this behavior isn't normal? Are FBO textures not supposed to swap out of memory, or should they be swapped back in when the FBO is bound?

EDIT: It's also worth noting that I was getting this on my old ass dev laptop with integrated Intel GPU and a (probably) out of date driver...

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
powly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3727 on: April 16, 2014, 01:53:02 PM »

Intel GPU drivers aren't exactly known for their nice behaviour. That said, I've encountered multiple problems where I was pretty sure the driver was to blame but turned out to be something a bit more cryptic either with my own code or the GL specification. The AMD and NVidia drivers are mostly pretty good, especially if you work with core versions - and I'd highly recommend you always do.
SodiumEyes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: April 18, 2014, 12:35:50 PM »

Made a config editor to display config values in a collapsing directory structure since it's nearly impossible to keep things organized in plain text files once you have several hundred values. Didn't take very long since I already wrote widgets for managing virtual directories and dictionaries of strings for other stuff.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:17:56 PM by SodiumEyes » Logged
RealityShifter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3729 on: April 22, 2014, 11:04:19 AM »

showed my game at pax, hundreds played and a lot of people are looking forward to it. Woot!

Creativegametheory.com
@theorygeorgiou
indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: April 22, 2014, 01:58:55 PM »

Messing around with isometric stuff in unity3d. A question, I am a 2D guy, how can I get fixed lightning on a native unity cube?

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: April 22, 2014, 04:21:49 PM »

@indie11
What do you mean by fixed light(n)ing?  Can you find an image that shows what you want?  Also, this should probably be its own thread.
ghosted
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: April 24, 2014, 02:02:09 PM »

Been mulling over the idea of joypad support in my little javascript browser platformer and decided to have a little play around with the material I'd previously researched. Just a toe dipped in the water if you will. It's pure javascript and browser stuff without plugins, it's gonna be filthy and horrible in all the wrong ways... surely.

25mins later and it's all integrated and working as expected. I'm sitting so satisfied and smug right now.
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3733 on: April 24, 2014, 09:23:16 PM »

Made a config editor to display config values in a collapsing directory structure since it's nearly impossible to keep things organized in plain text files once you have several hundred values

That is why I made a game data format for a project similar to emacs org-mode files, so I can edit them in org-mode and get access to nice shortcuts needed to edit huge plain-text files.
anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3734 on: April 25, 2014, 06:39:53 AM »

Been mulling over the idea of joypad support in my little javascript browser platformer and decided to have a little play around with the material I'd previously researched. Just a toe dipped in the water if you will. It's pure javascript and browser stuff without plugins, it's gonna be filthy and horrible in all the wrong ways... surely.

25mins later and it's all integrated and working as expected. I'm sitting so satisfied and smug right now.

This is one of the greatest feelings in development.

Turnover @ Steam
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3735 on: April 25, 2014, 05:10:45 PM »

Finished a 4k word CS paper. Started to like it a lot more towards the end, made me reflect more on my programming philosophy than I was expecting. Always a nice feeling when published papers are in agreement with you as well Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3736 on: May 02, 2014, 09:43:21 PM »

I'm working on a remaking Saracen in puzzlescript. I got the c64 rom, poked around a little bit and successfully found and converted all the level data. Great success! Here's some of the levels running in puzzlescript. I've still got a few bits of logic to implement before its ready though.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3737 on: May 03, 2014, 08:31:17 PM »

Been meaning to play more with puzzlescript, it looks fun Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3738 on: May 04, 2014, 12:23:15 AM »

Yeh it's a nice break from "normal" programming. Smiley

InfiniteStateMachine