Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:26:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 678503 times)
jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #3880 on: September 28, 2014, 05:44:46 AM »

Yeah, second only to Forth, which doesn't really have a parser, only a lexer. Smiley
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: September 29, 2014, 05:09:10 PM »

I just finished my UTF-8 decoder.  Of course, it's not really useful yet, as I don't have text rendering up; however, the UTF-32 codepoints that it outputs are all correct.

This of course is a prerequisite to my parser, as I want my DSL to be written in Unicode.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3882 on: September 29, 2014, 09:33:47 PM »

UTF-8 is also useful when dealing with filenames. Also abort error messages, which are usually shown with a native message box instead of going through the usual rendering system.
Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3883 on: September 30, 2014, 02:03:54 AM »

As some sort of holidays, I rewrote the framework that accompanied me for the last 15 years. Refactored it, to be more precise - a lot in there still works great. Now, after three weeks of editing and deleting, it now renders a 3D scene again - in Direct3D 9, 11 and OpenGL 3.

I probably digged a deep "Sunken Cost Fallacy" hole for me that prevents me from switching to Unity like everyone else seems to do nowadays. But well... it was hugely satisfying, and it also probably helps me tackling PS4 and XBoxOne in the coming weeks.

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3884 on: September 30, 2014, 05:03:01 AM »

Wrote a colourspace transform shader for palette remapping on the fly. Works.

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #3885 on: September 30, 2014, 05:15:56 AM »

I've gotten primitive procedure application to work in my interpreter!

Next is to implement environments, which will allow me to get rid of my horribly hackish hard-coded symbol evaluation code Well, hello there!

Code:
// symbol?
if(e->type == Script::Type::SYMBOL)
{
    if(e->symbol == 435)
    {
        return(consPrimitive);
    }
    else if(e->symbol == 310)
    {
        return(carPrimitive);
    }
    else if(e->symbol == 313)
    {
        return(cdrPrimitive);
    }
    else if(e->symbol == 444)
    {
        return(listPrimitive);
    }
    else if(e->symbol == 758)
    {
        return(displayPrimitive);
    }
    else
    {
        return(e);
    }
}

By the way, my symbols are interned so I can just use their integer ID to do evaluations.  However, my current interning method is just to sum the values of the characters Durr...?

nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: September 30, 2014, 07:24:09 AM »

@boreal at various threads I see your postings about the language and parser you're building, got me interested: what will your language look like and what will it be for?have you got a design doc or something I can take a peek at?
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: September 30, 2014, 07:28:48 AM »

@boreal at various threads I see your postings about the language and parser you're building, got me interested: what will your language look like and what will it be for?have you got a design doc or something I can take a peek at?

Nah, I don't have a document for it yet.

So far it's basically just Scheme with a different memory model.  All objects are immutable, which means that I can organize them more efficiently in memory and promote better concurrency.  This also makes it more suitable as a data-definition language.  Coroutines are going to be a first-class language feature, but I'm not nearly there yet.

Aside from that, the language's needs will reflect the needs of my game(s).
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:36:57 AM by Boreal » Logged

Trent
Level 0

Someday I'll make games!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3888 on: September 30, 2014, 02:05:17 PM »

I played with C++ and Code::Blocks for a week then I ran back to Unity like a scared little child.  Cry

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: September 30, 2014, 03:28:57 PM »

map now works with multiple-argument procedures.

Code:
(display (map list '(#\a #\c #\e) '(#\b #\d #\f)))

will output

Code:
((a b) (c d) (e f))

as expected.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3890 on: September 30, 2014, 03:52:40 PM »

I played with C++ and Code::Blocks for a week then I ran back to Unity like a scared little child.  Cry
the ide you picked may have something to do with that Smiley code blocks is pretty bad.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3891 on: September 30, 2014, 04:31:50 PM »

Eh dunno, I have absolutely no problems with Code::Blocks. Then again, I'm the kind of person who outright disables nearly all features meant to assist programming because they have an obnoxious tendency to get in the way (no, I don't want to write something from that dumb list I didn't ask for, I just want to move onto the next line).

Though Code::Blocks on Windows comes bundled with MinGW which is... pretty bad. I don't get why it hasn't switched to MinGW-w64 yet (on vanilla MinGW you don't even have DirectX 9 and getting that installed is a pain in the ass), and setting up a different toolchain is probably asking too much for a beginner.

EDIT: typo.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 05:14:31 PM by Sik » Logged
RandyGaul
Level 1

~~~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3892 on: September 30, 2014, 04:44:30 PM »

the ide you picked may have something to do with that Smiley code blocks is pretty bad.

It's good if you want yourself and writing code to be... blocked.  Gentleman
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3893 on: September 30, 2014, 06:07:43 PM »

I don't use any "IDE" for editing so that might be part of the problem (sublime master race). For debugging and fixing compilation errors/warnings haven't found anything nicer than msvs on windows.

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: September 30, 2014, 06:45:52 PM »

I don't use any "IDE" for editing so that might be part of the problem (sublime master race). For debugging and fixing compilation errors/warnings haven't found anything nicer than msvs on windows.

Gonna have to agree with this, although I use the GCC toolchain.  GDB is a pretty nice debugger although I do miss Valgrind sometimes.

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3895 on: September 30, 2014, 07:23:00 PM »

Gonna have to agree with this, although I use the GCC toolchain.  GDB is a pretty nice debugger although I do miss Valgrind sometimes.

Debugging on a Mac has gotten a whole lot more cumbersome since Apple saw fit to switch from gdb to lldb. Much harder to use. Sad

MorleyDev
Level 0

"It is not enough for it to just work"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3896 on: October 01, 2014, 04:36:39 AM »

Until I can use keyboard shortcuts to extract function, extract class, extract variable, extract field, extract parameter, extract constructor parameter, inline variable, inline function and rename in Sublime, I think I'll keep my IDEs personally Smiley

*hugs VS2013+Resharper and IntelliJ* And one day CLion, when you stop reporting false errors on lambdas and marking code after lambda that contains a return statement as unreachable, you too will know my love.

CLion does understand all the rest of C++11, automatically insert headers with the correct paths taking include path into consideration when you try and use a currently not-included function or class, and good and even tell me when a C++ header is unused or redundant, so still better than the majority of other C++ IDEs out there, but I do like my lambdas.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 04:45:45 AM by MorleyDev » Logged

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: October 01, 2014, 04:52:39 AM »

Debugging on a Mac has gotten a whole lot more cumbersome since Apple saw fit to switch from gdb to lldb. Much harder to use. Sad

I've been considering the whole clang meme but I'm not really sure if it would be worth it.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: October 01, 2014, 06:41:53 PM »

Yar I'm a VS fan too. I play with emacs/ST every once in a while but it doesn't stick.

Anyways got a RPC system working through named pipes. It worked out real well. Glad I didn't have to learn COM/OLE because I really dont have time for that right now.

Twisted
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: October 06, 2014, 08:05:35 PM »

HaXe, OpenFL, and Flixel are the greatest things ever.
Pages: 1 ... 193 194 [195] 196 197 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic