Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:19:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 678493 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: June 18, 2015, 03:23:15 PM »

Actually, I really like experimentation as well. I remember messing with my ludum dare entry's collision code for a while trying to find more eficient solutions, and I did! Pretty satisfying. I did find godawful ways of doing things too.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4101 on: June 19, 2015, 01:44:46 AM »

Best stack exchange ever: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23749251/switching-between-a-gif-and-a-png-on-a-jlabel

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: June 20, 2015, 05:41:26 PM »

Haha, yeah. I've been working more on the water waves and stuff in my games today. Still haven't checked out those cool algorithms for proper solutions based on true wave physics given to me in the Rain World thread, but just playing around and looking at the resulting visuals instead. It's a game. It doesn't have to be physically accurate. Just look good. And it's fun to play around with the constants and see what happens.

Not to say the water in Rain World doesn't look amazing but it's fun to be able to figure something working out from scratch, which I guess is your point! Wink
Struggling through something can actually be more beneficial then just getting the answer outright or snagging the latest, shiniest way of doing things. Mind you, your situation may dictate which is necessary and good and I'm not trying to bash anyone's way of doing things with this post, but I feel like I'm learning that failure in some circumstances is OK. Code something and if works, BREAK IT. BAHAHA.  Hand Any KeyWaaagh!Hand Shake Right

OK, maybe I'm exaggerating just a smidge...

Anyway, I'm in the process of trying to "discover" my personal approach to component systems. I know there are some ECS paradigms already out there, but I haven't taken to them as well as I thought I would. Trying to work it out on my own has been sort of fun, and I feel like I'm slowly but surely getting through it.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4103 on: June 22, 2015, 05:24:05 PM »

Haha, yeah. I've been working more on the water waves and stuff in my games today. Still haven't checked out those cool algorithms for proper solutions based on true wave physics given to me in the Rain World thread, but just playing around and looking at the resulting visuals instead. It's a game. It doesn't have to be physically accurate. Just look good. And it's fun to play around with the constants and see what happens.

Movies cheat a lot with the lighting, why shouldn't a game? =O)
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4104 on: June 25, 2015, 07:51:22 AM »

Cleaned up some of my code last night. Went through all of the various classes and stripped out the unnecessary and testing-related bits that were hanging about. Then I managed to correct a fairly basic bug that was lingering in some of my code. All told it was a very productive evening.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4105 on: June 25, 2015, 08:26:05 AM »

I spent some time a couple weeks ago spending a few hours writing a feature I thought I'd need in the future. Essentially ignoring YAGNI and it has just saved me days of work. Proof that there is essentially no such thing as an axiom in software development.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: June 25, 2015, 08:41:17 AM »

I succeeded in implementing an rpg battle system in Game Maker! :D
(See my signature for proof)

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: June 27, 2015, 07:29:31 AM »

I spent some time a couple weeks ago spending a few hours writing a feature I thought I'd need in the future. Essentially ignoring YAGNI and it has just saved me days of work. Proof that there is essentially no such thing as an axiom in software development.
Funny, but I've been thinking about ignoring YAGNI too. There are just some things out there that I want to try like getting a basic dialogue system up and running, so why not?
Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4108 on: June 27, 2015, 07:37:52 AM »

It's almost as if... the world's not black and white! Oh no, I've been advising people wrong all my life! WHY WORLD WHY, WHY HAVE YOU HIDDEN THIS INFORMATION FROM ME FOR SO LONG!
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: June 28, 2015, 05:14:10 AM »

It's almost as if... the world's not black and white! Oh no, I've been advising people wrong all my life! WHY WORLD WHY, WHY HAVE YOU HIDDEN THIS INFORMATION FROM ME FOR SO LONG!

Post secondary dogma ?   My Word!

Seriously though, YAGNI & DRY. Those acronyms need to stop existing. Common sense is the way to go.

Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4110 on: June 28, 2015, 05:33:33 AM »

Post secondary dogma ?   My Word!

Seriously though, YAGNI & DRY. Those acronyms need to stop existing. Common sense is the way to go.

I think the reason they're useful is because they're good rules of thumb. I personally believe they do less harm than they do good, but of course it's important to use common sense.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: June 28, 2015, 05:53:21 AM »

Perhaps the issue is that often they are presented as axioms rather than a good starting point for critical thinking.

Then again in regards to DRY. If you are copy-pasting a crapload of code over and over and don't have a feeling there's something you could do better then you might have bigger problems :D

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4112 on: June 28, 2015, 03:04:01 PM »

I think the reason they're useful is because they're good rules of thumb.
^
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the subject. Smiley

IMHO such things should be treated as guidelines, which basically means:

- They're generally worth using, so you should favour their use.
- There are times where using them is the wrong thing to do. In those cases, disregard them.

On DRY and YAGNI specifically:

- DRY is one I tend to follow fairly closely as it is frequently valuable. Having said that, I ran into a case yesterday where I blatantly ignored it, as it was unsuitable for the problem I was solving.

- I do not value YAGNI highly as I feel it is frequently wrong. However, I do feel it is important to avoid pointless overengineering, which is in line with YAGNI. I also feel it is important to design a solution that factors in likely future occurrences, which clashes directly with YAGNI.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: June 28, 2015, 03:07:04 PM »

KISS rather than YAGNI?

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4114 on: June 28, 2015, 07:36:12 PM »

KISS rather than YAGNI?

Yes. Smiley Let's go with KISS > YAGNI.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: June 29, 2015, 06:08:58 AM »

I like KISS. It reminds me that I'm not as smart as I think I am and tells me to keep my shit together. But it doesn't force me to stick to any specific design pattern (unlike DRY, for example).

edit: Rather that DRY, I was taught to feel free to repeat myself two times. But if I found repeating myself a third time, I should consider doing something about it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:16:56 AM by Dacke » Logged

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: June 29, 2015, 01:27:59 PM »

I like KISS better too because the acronym in KISS  Kiss

TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4117 on: June 30, 2015, 12:13:51 AM »

Rather that DRY, I was taught to feel free to repeat myself two times. But if I found repeating myself a third time, I should consider doing something about it.
Yeah, that's usually what I stick to. If you have a few lines of code repeated here and there, it's probably not worth the headache of refactoring everything right away. More often than not, you'll end up coming back and changing one of the "copies" enough that, had you refactored early, you would need to, uh... re-refactor.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4118 on: June 30, 2015, 02:46:28 PM »

Rather that DRY, I was taught to feel free to repeat myself two times. But if I found repeating myself a third time, I should consider doing something about it.

Just ran into this, seems strangely relevant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_three_%28computer_programming%29

It's got a name then. Smiley
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: July 02, 2015, 08:48:46 AM »

Just ran into this, seems strangely relevant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_three_%28computer_programming%29

It's got a name then. Smiley

Weird, when I hear rule of 3 I think of the rule for implementing a copy constructor (also implement assignment and dtor)

Pages: 1 ... 204 205 [206] 207 208 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic