Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:11:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 678560 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: July 04, 2015, 08:10:57 AM »

Finally unlazified m'self and put my project on source control. Took me less than ten minutes. And here I've gone almost two years constantly postponing it because I thought it'd be a hassle. Durr...?

(I did back it up on an external hard drive every now and then before, tho — and the source control is more because I'll have to start compiling it on another computer for Windows sometime soon and not so much for backup, but that's a neat side effect)

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4121 on: July 04, 2015, 08:33:59 AM »

Good job! Stick with it and you'll eventually become really uncomfortable when working on a project that's not in source control.

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: July 04, 2015, 10:07:12 AM »

What's source control, lol? Big Laff

OK, but seriously. At some point, I should get that up and running too. Preferably one that I can use offline though.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: July 04, 2015, 11:55:11 AM »

OK, but seriously. At some point, I should get that up and running too. Preferably one that I can use offline though.

Mercurial is great for that. That's the #1 source control system I'd use if I'm working offline.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: July 04, 2015, 12:06:38 PM »

Just setup a third monitor vertically. I should have done this a long time ago. I see so many people do it at work but I never got around to trying. It's really nice having a horizontal wide screen that has various headers and small code files open while I have my heavier cpp files open on the vertical monitor.

Mix that with the standing desk I built out of old drawers and cinder blocks and development is pretty awesome Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4125 on: July 04, 2015, 12:25:07 PM »

And I just saved a monitor yesterday.

I've had like four seemingly defunct ones replaced. I can't get more replacements and yesterday it had completely died again. Using weird online instructions involving voodoo magic and plugging everything out and pressing the button without power it somehow started working again.

Starting to wonder if this magic trick might've worked with the previous ones too. Durr...?

But still, brand new monitors shouldn't be doing that, so I probably won't buy from them anymore (tho their support was great of course, giving me like 3-4 new replacement monitors for free, but I'd rather have one that doesn't need replacement~).

So I'm extremely happy and relieved about having gotten that working too. No more free replacements and no money + I would've needed that money for other stuff even if I had it. Phew.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: July 04, 2015, 06:39:25 PM »

So I'm not much of a big web guy. I used to do some work in that area but that was like 5 years ago so I'm totally out of touch lol.

Anyways, I wanted to redo my website to be a bit easier for me to do article series and tutorials without having to hack wordpress so I've started work on a very specific template to handle my needs. For instance I'm specializing on specific wordpress pages like my games portfolio etc.

It was a fair amount of work to setup a decent development environment but now that i have it going it's great. It's amazing how much web development has improved in the years I've been inactive. Adobe brackets is freaking awesome. I've managed to couple it with XAMPP to bring in a local copy of my wordpress site so I can work on my template using my actual website data locally. Of course once you start doing non-static pages brackets cant do the realtime feedback it's known for but I can still refresh to see updates. It's pretty awesome.

I'm quite glad i didn't try to rebuild my site from scratch using flask or rails. As tempting as it is, time is of the essence, I want to get back to workign on games. Wordpress is great in regards to it's editor and dashboard. It's just that the default presentation style of WP doesn't work for me.

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: July 05, 2015, 04:13:56 PM »

Mercurial is great for that. That's the #1 source control system I'd use if I'm working offline.
Thanks for the suggestion!
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: July 06, 2015, 02:07:22 AM »

So I'm not much of a big web guy. I used to do some work in that area but that was like 5 years ago so I'm totally out of touch lol.

Anyways, I wanted to redo my website to be a bit easier for me to do article series and tutorials without having to hack wordpress so I've started work on a very specific template to handle my needs. For instance I'm specializing on specific wordpress pages like my games portfolio etc.

It was a fair amount of work to setup a decent development environment but now that i have it going it's great. It's amazing how much web development has improved in the years I've been inactive. Adobe brackets is freaking awesome. I've managed to couple it with XAMPP to bring in a local copy of my wordpress site so I can work on my template using my actual website data locally. Of course once you start doing non-static pages brackets cant do the realtime feedback it's known for but I can still refresh to see updates. It's pretty awesome.

I'm quite glad i didn't try to rebuild my site from scratch using flask or rails. As tempting as it is, time is of the essence, I want to get back to workign on games. Wordpress is great in regards to it's editor and dashboard. It's just that the default presentation style of WP doesn't work for me.
Some sort of *AMP is pretty much standard these days if you're going to work with PHP locally, yeah. And WP is good for setting stuff up reasonably quickly while still allowing for full customisation. Also stuff like LESS and jQuery make modern web dev so much nicer.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: July 06, 2015, 08:23:04 AM »

My goal is to not use any javascript at all. Pure CSS and html @ the end. I've already ran into some vertical alignment issues that can apparently only be solved with js. I'm doing design changes for now to avoid having to use js.

It will be interesting to see how far I can go before it becomes essential.

shellbot
« Reply #4130 on: July 06, 2015, 05:48:32 PM »

I've just started using IDE's again. I'm done with using Vim as my primary editor.

Screw programmer cred! I missed code completion, project organization, and easy compiling SO MUCH!
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4131 on: July 06, 2015, 06:27:25 PM »

I'm like the only one who finds code completion a hassle (it has a tendency to pop up the menu right when I need to move the cursor to another line, forcing me to erase whatever it decided to write).

Definitely agree on everything else though, you don't even need to cope with makefiles when all you need is just build every source file.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: July 07, 2015, 06:39:35 AM »

Does happen to me occasionally too, Sik, but not often enough to be a hassle. Learn what key to press to get rid of the box without erasing anything and you're fine.

The best thing ever was when Xcode got real-time C++ error-checking by compiling in the background or w/e, like I had noticed Netbeans/Eclipse doing for Java when I had to use it in school, and gotten a bit used to, and missed having for C++.

And built-in git that I have finally gotten around to linking to an online repository.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: July 07, 2015, 07:44:10 AM »

I've just started using IDE's again. I'm done with using Vim as my primary editor.

Screw programmer cred! I missed code completion, project organization, and easy compiling SO MUCH!

Congrats. I can't stand Vim. So many times I think the command line has become corrupted but in actuality some other command line program (cough git cough) starts it up. Not to start a holy war but I do prefer emacs if I have to choose between text editors.

Visual studio though. So good I would pay for it (if MS hadn't already given me a free copy).

I'm like the only one who finds code completion a hassle (it has a tendency to pop up the menu right when I need to move the cursor to another line, forcing me to erase whatever it decided to write).

Definitely agree on everything else though, you don't even need to cope with makefiles when all you need is just build every source file.

The default code completion for visual studio for c/c++ is garbage. I bought a copy of visual assist x. It sometimes has issues but it's benefits far outweight it's flaws. I really notice it when I use VS without my Vassistx keys.

The c# intellisense for VS is pretty great though. I'm really excited to see if exposing the AST via rosyln will result in as profound improvement to intellisense as everyone is saying. 

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: July 07, 2015, 01:02:31 PM »

Sublime Text is the perfect mix between the two extremes (Vim-like and VS-like) for me.  Plus, Cabal (the Haskell build system) is smart enough that I don't need to fiddle around with any sort of makefile or build scripts.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4135 on: July 07, 2015, 02:15:59 PM »

I want to marry Valgrind and have its children.

Valgrind raised an warning in my projects that I couldn't make sense of. With some difficulty I was able to get things down to a small subset of code that triggered the message. I started digging, and found a path that led through some new code I'd recently written. I checked the code. It appeared fine. I dug some more, and found the particular bit of data that was triggering the warning. It was erroneous input, but I'd handled this, hadn't I? I looked at the code again. Hang on a second here, did I forget to check the return value on this call? That shouldn't be a problem, all that would happen would be that it would skip over the corresponding byte of output data. Of recently-allocated memory. Uninitialised memory.

The penny dropped.

Valgrind had just found a case that under a certain rarely occurring circumstance a single byte of uninitialised data would make its way into the output data. I likely never would have found this short of thoroughly examining the exact right bit of code.

Valgrind is awesome.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4136 on: July 07, 2015, 04:01:54 PM »

Valgrind is also usually better than the debugger to find out what caused your code to just crash. The debugger tells you where it crashed (assuming there isn't a stack smash), Valgrind will tell you where the problem originated (since it knows what's the first suspicious access).

Does happen to me occasionally too, Sik, but not often enough to be a hassle. Learn what key to press to get rid of the box without erasing anything and you're fine.

That isn't enough, the menu tends to appear right as I'm on my way to press the offending key, I only notice it when it has already written some text in the code =/ (it also gets really annoying if there are many lines to edit in a row)
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: July 07, 2015, 05:04:40 PM »

Valgrind truly is awesome. One of the main reasons I keep linux installed.

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4138 on: July 08, 2015, 04:33:25 AM »

It gets better. With a reasonably recent version, you can connect to valgrind with gdb via vgdb, so that you get a break when a questionable access occurs. valgrind finds the dodgy access, and you can examine the current program state at the point it occurs with full context with the debugger. It's like a breakpoint for "any dodgy access" in gdb. And it works with threads too.
fractilegames
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4139 on: July 13, 2015, 07:34:19 AM »

Made a little progress with my driving AI experiment after weeks without touching the project at all:

The AI can now stop at specified position and stay there.

Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic