Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:19:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)The happy programmer room
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 279
Print
Author Topic: The happy programmer room  (Read 677737 times)
rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: August 19, 2015, 06:23:03 AM »

Implemented a sound mixer and a custom audio format. Took me just under a day from knowing nothing about mixing to having a finished mixer!
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: September 03, 2015, 01:41:46 PM »

Finished saving/loading routines for Computer Virus Simulator's level editor. Didn't test it too much yet, but it seems like they're almost 100% working so far (only minor hiccups like failing to set proper color on loading and accidental save to the wrong path).

//edit: Any idea why it's not pinned? It totally should be!

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
bornander
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4182 on: September 03, 2015, 10:52:02 PM »

Started working on the prototype for my next game. Since I just started on this I am faced only with interesting problems and no tedious tasks like main-menu transitions.

Current devlog; Grapple
Try Hovercraft for Android, voted "a game" by players.Hovercraft on Google play
kirennian
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4183 on: September 05, 2015, 11:53:03 AM »

Starting my new development in a fortnights time, 4 days a week for the next 2+ years.  Very excited after researching it for the last year and having built a prototype a few years back in 9 months.  At the moment, I couldn't be happier with the possibilities the next couple of years have for me! :D

Halogen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4184 on: September 22, 2015, 05:21:38 AM »

I'm gonna flash my noobs at you all for a minute, but I just coded two functional python programs without references. (i did look at some code snippets from other small programs, but I was so pleased with my progress thus far. These weren't anything major, (right around 20-100 lines) but I just felt like sharing my inordinate level of glee with you all.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4185 on: September 22, 2015, 10:13:19 AM »

I'm gonna flash my noobs at you all for a minute, but I just coded two functional python programs without references. (i did look at some code snippets from other small programs, but I was so pleased with my progress thus far. These weren't anything major, (right around 20-100 lines) but I just felt like sharing my inordinate level of glee with you all.

As someone learning python right now, I approve! Hand Thumbs Up Right

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4186 on: September 23, 2015, 05:19:06 AM »

Been able to work in C++ 11 due to me starting a new home project. It really is nice to return a large data structure as a return value rather than an out parameter even if the difference really is only syntactic. It's starting to feel like I'm working in c# sometimes.

Of course I have to very consciously remember to change back to my safe-across-n-compilers-c++ brain context when going back to other projects.

pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4187 on: September 27, 2015, 11:49:01 PM »

Been able to work in C++ 11 due to me starting a new home project. It really is nice to return a large data structure as a return value rather than an out parameter even if the difference really is only syntactic. It's starting to feel like I'm working in c# sometimes.

Of course I have to very consciously remember to change back to my safe-across-n-compilers-c++ brain context when going back to other projects.

I also started working in C++11 recently, but at work (not games) and slowly getting used to the smart pointers and clever other stuff they have now. Indeed it feels much more high-level than it is, but at the same time there are a lot of things to learn (and unlearn) to make use of it properly. Have to start some new hobby game project soon so I can try to make a game in C++ again for the first time in ages.
shellbot
« Reply #4188 on: September 28, 2015, 06:05:30 AM »

Started a revival of one of my old projects... Nothing shows you how much progress you have made like looking back at some of your old code 

I guess the first half of 2015 wasn't a complete waste  Cheesy
shellbot
« Reply #4189 on: September 30, 2015, 07:56:10 PM »

Just fixed a very difficult programming problem on a complete fluke.

I set the value of a test to 6... The answer to the entire problem was setting that variable to 6... Wizard
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4190 on: October 22, 2015, 07:22:35 AM »

YESSSSS

AngelScript finally has lambdas! Since August 30th, apparently. I just happened to find them in the manual right now. I've been needing them the last few days ever since I redid my script setup a bit.

They don't work as closures yet, so I have to pass some user data, but still SOOOO much better than having to declare a global function and pass it! <3

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4191 on: October 22, 2015, 07:29:55 AM »

What's a lambda?..

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4192 on: October 22, 2015, 09:27:18 AM »

you mean lambada?

Tongue

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4193 on: October 22, 2015, 09:46:47 AM »

Well played.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4194 on: October 22, 2015, 09:46:51 AM »

Dat accordion.

A lambda is an anonymous function, PG. I have a method in my cutscene sequencer called callback which as you can see now takes a (lambda/anonymous) function as its argument in order to execute its code at the specified time in the sequence. Previously I had to define a global function for that and then pass it on, even tho I really don't need the function outside the sequencer thingy. It was clunky. It's much more slick and dynamic now that I can write the code where it is actually relevant. And if Andreas gets around to implementing closures (which would allow the lambda to access variables local to the scope in which it was declared), it would be even nicer.

I'm grumpy again tho! AS still doesn't support templated functions. I can't directly copy my neat interfaces from the C++ side of the engine (which is why I currently have to write ugly things like cast<Collider @>(t.get(type("Collider"))) as seen above instead of just t.get<Collider>() like in the C++ interface). Blergh.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4195 on: October 22, 2015, 09:49:08 AM »

Darn, lambdas sound super useful. Shame they're not fully functional yet.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4196 on: October 22, 2015, 09:51:40 AM »

Yeah, they didn't exist in C++ until a few years ago either, so it was kind of the same situation but then you could at least hide the regular functions away a bit better as static class methods to have them in the right place (if the callback is added in a class member method) — but AS doesn't support static class methods.

So I was super happy when C++ finally got them too, and made neat interfaces with it, and it's nice that they can be mapped well to AS now too!

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4197 on: October 26, 2015, 03:29:14 AM »

Redid the way my engine works with scripts a bit. It has, well, become a whole lot more like Unity yet again in that all scripts now demand a class derived from a special base class be defined in the script file, and an object will be instantiated from that class. The reason for this is of course so that scripts can access each other's data which didn't really work out when everything was just global and each script ran in its own module so that the globalness could work without clashes.

I've now also created a corresponding C++ interface so that C++ code can speak to script objects easily. It's pretty neat. Templates FTW.

There are only two functions in the interface:

• T var<T>(name)
  • ReturnType call<ReturnType, ArgumentTypes...>(name, arguments...)

This way I can easily access member variables and run methods of these objects created from these classes.

Hand Thumbs Up Right

And on the AS side of course I don't have to do anything besides registering a function allowing scripts to access other scripts from other (or the same) components and then all the members and methods are AS code accessed regularly.

So in C++ I might do this:

Code:
if (someComponent.script("ClassName").var<bool>("someState")) ...

And in AS this ish:

Code:
if (someComponent.script("ClassName").someState) ...

But as AS currently doesn't support templates I'm going to have to cast it:

Code:
if (cast<ClassName @>(someComponent.script("ClassName")).someState) ...

BUT! I did discuss templates with the author just the other day and now he's finally put it on the todo list, so hopefully in the future I will be able to do:

Code:
if (someComponent.script<ClassName>().someState) ...

Hand Metal Left

Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4198 on: October 26, 2015, 08:42:28 PM »

Darn, lambdas sound super useful. Shame they're not fully functional yet.

fully functional

Well played.

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4199 on: October 28, 2015, 11:30:07 AM »

lolol ^

---

Watched this Computerphile video and learned how easy it is to implement a blur filter (I thought it was a lot more complicated):

But it was easy, and thanks to the video, it didn't take long to fix!

EDIT:
More complex fun arising from messing around with this...

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:55:47 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 279
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic