Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:35:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBear Hero (Platformer Roguelike-like) [FINAL DEMO 7/2/2017]
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Author Topic: Bear Hero (Platformer Roguelike-like) [FINAL DEMO 7/2/2017]  (Read 40174 times)
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2014, 05:44:01 PM »

"no immediate fix comes to mind"

change the color of the pots bruh.

mushyisland
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2014, 06:07:08 PM »

From Tumblr letting you know your game is great! Would be nice if there was a tutorial or something at the start. Took me awhile that Shift is for run/slide. Smiley
(Beaten the game with Duelist, Lightning, Black Belt, Leather Armor, Wooden Sword btw)
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2014, 02:52:34 PM »

Bearidoos kill?
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »

If you're asking if the project is dead, no. I just didn't have so much free time this semester so it's on the back burner. During the upcoming break I was hoping to get back to work, though.

Btw, good job mushyisland! I'm glad you made it past the (inordinately large) learning curve.

"no immediate fix comes to mind"

change the color of the pots bruh.
Never!

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 14, 2014, 11:54:12 AM »

Time for a little update, I guess...

Drakes like to fly high above the ground and pelt you with exploding fireballs at their leisure. Their attacks are pretty easy to avoid, but will swiftly incinerate any flammable bears in their path. On top of that, their tough hides resist physical and fire damage. Drakes probably won't normally appear in the cave area.

And also in the gif, you can see the bear using up- and down-angled attacks. These allow for better reach (especially in the air), and the downward attack has the added benefit of bouncing you off of opponents. The actual animations for these attacks are just placeholder, they should end up looking better soon.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:08:33 AM by Glyph » Logged

coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: December 15, 2014, 12:09:40 AM »

Hooray an update! I like this game Smiley

DUSTER - Western Simulator

Tig Blog
Krisjet
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: December 15, 2014, 10:53:08 AM »

Have played the new demo quite a few times now. It seems solid, tough but fair like all good roguelikes, and the pixel art is pretty! Will chime in again when I've played it some more Smiley

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: December 17, 2014, 11:53:18 AM »

Dropbox killed your links because it was too much traffic. Sad

Maybe you could try another service; For pictures, I've yet to have troubles with G+. It used to be Picasa photos, and came with my blog. I use Copy.com for my files, as well. It's simple and easy to use, and the desktop app works cross-platform, too. If you want to use Copy, here's a referral link. Referring someone nets both of us 5 extra GB of storage, which is nice.

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 18, 2014, 12:57:06 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up SolarLune, it was a tedious process but I've finally managed to rehost all of the images in the thread on imgur (the only problem with it is that it goes down often, but oh well). I also took your advice and used Copy for file hosting, with Dropbox remaining as a mirror option. Now, hopefully, there shouldn't be any more problems Mock Anger

I should get some good work done in the next few weeks, at least after the holidays pass by. So expect to hear more from me. For now, here's another song I was working on, for a new area. I'm aiming to revamp or remake almost all of the existing music, but it's going to be a slow process. https://soundcloud.com/blockdude11/summoning-grounds

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 01, 2015, 11:30:58 PM »

It's time to talk about some new stuff...

There's a very small probability of a wooden chest spawning in enemy encounters. These chests contain temporary buffs that might aid in the ongoing battle, so put them to good use if you're fortunate enough to find one. The agility potion increases the player's Dexterity by 10, allowing for greater mobility, critical damage, attack speed, and so on.

The might potion raises the player's Strength by 10. This pretty much guarantees a one-hit kill on every enemy, and they will probably be sent flying from the impact (maybe a little too far right now).

The potion of brilliance raises your Intelligence by 10, and also makes all your spells cost nothing to cast temporarily, so spam them to your heart's content. The timeout warning for this particular buff displays in 'danger yellow' since using a spell as it runs out may expend mana that you might rather have conserved.

Lastly, this mixed concoction raises all of your stats by 4. It has the longest duration of the bunch as well.

That's all for now as far as wooden chests are concerned. There will be more stuff to find in them whenever I think of it, but I'll leave that for you all to find in the next demo ('Before Summer' is the current approximation on that one...)

Lastly, I worked on the menu a bit:

I figured the menu song could do with being more cheerful. As a side note, the checkered background effect was achieved by recursively drawing squares based on some parameters and a lot of trig. It turned out just being a more resource-heavy rotated checker background, though. Oh well.

That's it for now. I'm working on shops, so maybe I'll have something to show for those soon.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:08:15 AM by Glyph » Logged

coldrice
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: January 01, 2015, 11:37:15 PM »

Love it! This game looks so fun!

DUSTER - Western Simulator

Tig Blog
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: January 02, 2015, 07:20:41 AM »

Nice "Super Smash Bros.-esque" pauses from missed tech opportunities. Cheesy

I agree, the game looks fun!

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 04, 2015, 03:15:04 PM »

Shops are mostly done:

They're pretty self-explanatory. They come in all varieties, from expensive rarities to bargain bins, with specialty shops in the mix as well. There will also be some less generic hard-coded shops that will appear at points. Next up: more work on gods -- yet another journey to Menu Hell!

There are also two new classes I have yet to mention. They are missing stuff but I hope to get them finished soon.

@coldrice: Thanks!
@SolarLune: yeah, Smash was the inspiration for the 'wall slam' effect and pause. I also gave enemies some minute hitstun after being attacked to make things feel more crunchy.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:04:47 AM by Glyph » Logged

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2015, 01:38:48 PM »

Alright, it's time to talk about the final two classes...

First up is the Reaver. They're a Str/Int blend, and their starting spell, Magic Claw, works best with a good mix of both. Their main downside is their bad starting Dex (2), which makes casting spells slower than Magic Claw right off the bat a liability. But nobody's perfect, as they say.

Oh yeah, and if the last enemy remaining is a beetle, it will turn red and move faster now. Watch out!

And next is the Veteran. The Veteran is truly a powerful class, starting with 4 Str/Dex/Int and three relics equipped, each giving +1 to one of those stats. Not only that, but the Veteran has a very useful ability that increases the rarity of relics found from chests.

So, you may be thinking that this class is way overpowered -- why wouldn't you just play as a Veteran all the time?

...And here's the drawback. Veterans never gain stats from leveling up - only max HP and MP. So your power is strictly limited to what relics and spells you find. The Veteran's special ability helps with this, but it's an uphill battle.

Next up is altars and deities, for real. They're the last generic map feature!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:04:03 AM by Glyph » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2015, 02:43:04 PM »

i didn't play your game, however i like the scrolling text bars a lot because they remind me of Street Fighter Alpha 3. good luck with your life.
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 08, 2015, 08:02:20 AM »

Here's a pedestal man.

Vesper
Level 0

"Sometimes... Good shit happens."

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 08, 2015, 04:49:16 PM »

I just found this game and have been playing the demo on and off all day instead of writing a paper. oh well  Shrug
anyway I love it! especially how challenging it is!

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2015, 09:41:09 PM »

Duuuuude! This game! I remember seeing screens of this somewhere & liking what I saw. I love roguelike-like platformers, & the visuals are great. Will have to check out the demo Grin
TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: February 09, 2015, 01:03:16 PM »

When I get home I'm going to download your demo.

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2015, 07:19:31 PM »

Ha, Pedestal Man screams Kirby. Love it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic