Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:18:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHeptych
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Heptych  (Read 16614 times)
JMStark
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 05:04:44 PM »

I see where some people are coming from in regards to possible difficulties in reading the visuals from a top down camera. However, the top down perspective in this vain sounds awesome from a gameplay standpoint, so resolving some of those visual problems is worth it. Looks really fun to play!

Current Project: Shuffle Company
Twitter: JMRante
CatchCo
TIGBaby

ridiculous or nothing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 05:38:45 PM »

Sure the shadows may be a tad distracting on this particular level, but they have an interesting side effect of revealing what is obscured by the perspective. The fact that you don't clearly know what you are up against until you see it's shadow or ragdoll could make for some surprising moments and judgement calls by the player.

I look forward to seeing more of this.

Twitter: @CatchCo
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 06:35:23 PM »

Shocked

TunaUppercut
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 07:12:17 PM »

Wow this is really impressive. You just started on this?
MAVW
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 07:28:52 PM »

hey, that's amazing! just wanted to point out how those pillars going 'on the camera level' really contribute to give the player some spatial perception/visual depth (I don't know if i'm being clear with this..oh well..)

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 11:33:16 PM »

Wow, so many replies Kiss

@TautNerve: We'll definitely be trying to combine camera work with slow motion/dramatic pauses to emphasise some effects. Tight, responsive controls and challenging but fair combat is what I'm trying hard to achieve, hopefully it will work out Smiley

@eobet, CatchCo, BlackLodgeGames: The shadow does distract from the characters, but hopefully with a good mix of floor texture and shadow strength it won't be that noticable. We'd like to keep hard shadows because they convey additional information about shapes and animations that may not be apparent from the top-down view.

@TunaUppercut: It's been around 6 weeks since we started working on this seriously.

@MAVW: This is exactly why we're going with very high structures and top-down view Smiley

@Carrion: Thanks... I guess :D I'm a fan of your pixels!

Big thanks to all the replies and feedback, really motivating stuff Hand Thumbs Up Right

Beaulamb1992
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 04:37:03 AM »

This looks fun!

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 04:56:32 AM »

Love the concept art, proposed art style and the feel of the combat in these early gifs Kiss

will keep an eye on this for sure!
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 05:21:38 AM »

This game is going to be fantaaaaaaastic.  Coffee

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 02:41:35 PM »

Decided to make the blood splashes bigger and more noticeable, so you know exactly when an enemy has been hit. I also made enemies flash red when hurting.

Been learning shaders for a few evenings and finally managed to implement per-material chromatic aberration exactly the way I wanted, which I used to make a prototyped death animation for the player. Also played around with player hurt particle effect to make it stand out from the blood.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:22:14 AM by Netsu » Logged

tmth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 12:39:18 PM »

Hello.

The art update is embarrassingly small, this month I learnt way more than produced.

1) I sketched out a bunch of background buildings, trying to keep it in one style. Then I blocked them out and remeshed them in blender. They're still kinda janky but I'm happy with how they turned out. I think it's really important to have a bunch of well thought out shapes/proportions early on, and that's what was the bulk of the design work.

2) I took those buildings and played with some renders for a possible skybox, this is its mockup. I'm not sure about the general color scheme and the amount of detail I want to put in the foreground/background, so I tried to keep everything as modular as possible, so I can easily adjust the colors without redoing the textures etc.

3) This is a result of my frustration with the buildings and the approach I took for blocking them out, a weapon. It seems that blatant disregard for proper weapon naming is shaping up to be a tradition. I was thinking about a battle scythe back then :D Handpainting that texture was a blast, although I know already it won't show in the game.
That's what manuals are for.

I'm pretty happy with June, even if not a lot of the stuff I did will go straight into the game.

Thanks everybody for liking the game already. I'm excited for July, a lot of proper concept work is coming, hopefully we'll be able to show you some fleshed out ideas next update.

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2014, 12:44:54 PM »

Here's a GIF and a video because apparently I cannot decide what I want.

Here's a new attack I put in, a dash that slices through enemies. To perform it you have to quickly press the dodge button after a successful parry.

And this is some of the new assets in-game, a quick mockup room and some changes to the chroma strike FX (including a slow motion effect).

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:22:33 AM by Netsu » Logged

dqhendricks
Level 1

There is a small mailbox here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2014, 12:59:12 PM »

Love the art here. The combat looks way cool too. I agree that sword is a bit over used. Maybe something like Chromaslash.

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2014, 08:08:27 AM »

We finally agreed on a new name that doesn't have any swords in it! But we left a sword in the logo just in case:

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:22:48 AM by Netsu » Logged

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2014, 08:13:22 AM »

This looks really cool.

The Chromatic Abberation on the logo is a bit damn intense haha. (really not a fan of it in this context)

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2014, 08:23:12 AM »

It's still subject to some tweaking and the aberration effect might not end up being an integral part of the logo Smiley

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2014, 01:13:23 PM »

Looks promising although I didn't really get what this game is all about in the first post. More information here perhaps?

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2014, 01:53:15 PM »

Good point! I came up with this as a very short introduction some time ago:

"Heptych is a non-linear hack'n'slash with metroidvania elements and heavy emphasis on fast and challenging combat. Play as a long forgotten deity trying to bring back change to the unchanging city of the gods."

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2014, 02:06:55 PM »

Oh wow, this looks fantastic.  Combat looks like it feels great, with some nice feedback effects.

Netsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2014, 09:06:06 PM »

Oh wow, this looks fantastic.  Combat looks like it feels great, with some nice feedback effects.

Thanks! Most effects are still placeholders, but I'm trying to achieve a good feedback feel right from the start. Later, when the artist puts some design work into the effects I will polish them way more Smiley

Loving the art style, but I feel like you won't get to appreciate the art as much from so far away and directly overhead. I do like the look of the tall levels from above though, makes the perspective feel imposing.

We hope to focus the art effort into the things that are visible from the perspective, while keeping the characters simple. We are for example toying with the idea of having a 3D Doom-head of the protagonist in the GUI somewhere that would reflect how much damage he has taken.

I spent the last two days working on systems for dying, resetting the game, reaching checkpoints and started working on some environmental hazards. Nothing I could put into screenshots unfortunately!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic