Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:51:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesScary Video Games
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Scary Video Games  (Read 2682 times)
playcrazy
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2014, 07:38:50 AM »

Hello guys,

I really like scary stories and horror movies. So i started playing scary video games. So far i like System Shock 2 and Clock Tower but i need more stuff. So please tell what do you recommend?

Thanks
Jonathan Burroughs
Level 1

Co-founder Variable State

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 10:29:25 AM »

Slender: The Arrival is bigtime scary. Although a little boring at times. But scary too!

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 11:05:23 AM »

I have trouble finding horror games that actually scare me, but Among the Sleep, Doorways, and The Cat Lady are all excellent. I'll be watching this thread for more. Smiley

Jonathan Burroughs
Level 1

Co-founder Variable State

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 11:30:10 AM »

Had not heard of The Cat Lady before today. I'm appropriately terrified just looking at the homepage.

{VeTeR}
Level 0

The Dark Matter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 11:38:29 AM »

try Outlast & Outlast: Whistleblower

man of doom
Level 2

It's not Tom and Jerry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 12:26:28 PM »

I started playing SCP Containment Breach recently. That was pretty intense. Lots of careful running away and trying to second guess your pursuers.

http://manofdoom.co.uk
Where all my stuff is at!
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-doom
Various musical stuff of mine
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 01:51:23 PM »

I really love Dead Space 2. The first is good, but the second perfects the mechanics.

Yume Nikki is another favorite of mine, though it's more unsettling/creepy than scary.
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 12:14:01 PM »

my all time favorites are:

silent hill 2 (3 is good too, but i still need to play it)
resident evil remake (gamecube)

Birdorf
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 12:25:24 PM »

Scary videogames never used to bother me, then I played Outlast.
Blasted Beacon
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 03:30:49 PM »

One of my favorite horror games is Eternal Darkness. If you aren't familiar, it has a "sanity meter" which is lowered by encountering enemies -- and the lower it gets, the more freaky things you start experiencing. Disturbing voices, hallucinations, etc. And it doesn't just mess with the character, it actually does things to mess with you as a player. Like temporarily switching your controls around or pretending to lower the volume on your TV.

Also, there's a fair amount of walking through seemingly quiet rooms thinking "oh my god is something going to jump out at me I KNOW IT IS JUST DO IT ALREADY!" And it's got some reasonably creepy monsters and a fairly dark overall storyline.
GG-Works
Level 0

It's going to be a long ride

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 07:34:45 PM »

Fallout 3 when exploring the subway tunnels full of ghouls.  The music really sets the atmosphere, and if your sneak skill is low they can find you from a great distance away.

Bonus scare points if you trigger VATS right as one is attacking you for a closeup scare.

s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 01:01:10 AM »

I literally had nightmares after Amnesia. This abomination just kept on chasing me at night.

absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 09:34:15 AM »

I recommend Forbidden Siren 2 if you have a European/Japanese PS2. I still can't play it because mine is NTSC and swap magic 3 doesn't work  Cry.

But yeah, that's some special Japanese horror there. You could also try the American remake on PS3, Siren:Blood Curse.

Venomlemon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 01:46:31 PM »

Among the sleep. Abso-nightmarefueling-lutely one of the scariest thing ever.

Yo, stalk me on Twittter
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 03:26:43 AM »

fatal frame and fatal frame 2 for ps2 are decent, if a little predictable at times, i'll also second eternal darkness for GCN

-Fuzzy Spider
InvertMouse
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 03:15:45 AM »

The first game that truly scared me was the original fear. There was one bit that made me shake my whole keyboard. Yeah, a wussy moment Cheesy.

Fear made me go into a horror game craze for a while. I played through Fear 1, 2 and Dead Space at night in the dark. Those were some great times. Gave me a few nightmares, even.

For some reason, now that I have taken a break from horror games, I find myself too scared to go back into it. I have lost the momentum, perhaps.

Outlast looks promising, though I hear it has a lot of jump scares, which I am not into that much (>-<).

Twitter: @InvertMouse
Facebook: http://facebook.com/invertmouse
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 09:34:46 AM »

The first half of Amnesia is terrifying. After that you sorta acclimate but I think that is the case with most horror games.

A Machine For Pigs isn't scary at all because I have beaten the first game.

Outlast has a lot of good jump scares.

Ky.
Level 0

Programmer & Web Slinger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 12:54:36 PM »

Good ol classic Silent Hill on PSX still gives me the heeby jeebies. Amnesia I hear is literally making people make a mess of themselves though.

Jarkko Vallius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 09:45:35 PM »

Resident Evil 1 and 2, in a dark room, alone at 3am. Not sure they work anymore.

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 01:28:57 PM »

The Silent Hill games do a good job of crafting freaky environments. Amnesia is also excellent. Fatal Frame 2 is surprisingly scary.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic