Just like cinema has its B-movies and cult cinema, video games has its B-games. They've got Ed Wood and Roger Corman, and we've got Jazzuo
. You've seen 'em, you've played 'em... we're talking about games that are bad in the right
By popular demand, TIGSource is sponsoring a competition to celebrate the creation of B-games! We want to see some bad games with some great personalities! Broken gameplay that works; low budget graphics that titillate the primitive and perverted parts of our brains; outrageous themes beyond the ken of normal human beings. We want to see bad games with that certain "je ne sais quois." Terrible, hilarious, sincere
games that have the kind of moxie that can only come from the independent game community.
Do you have what it takes to make the baddest, baddest
game there is?Rules:
- No team size restrictions!
- No color or resolution or other format restrictions!
(Although keep in mind that if your game is completely unplayable it will probably make judging difficult.)
- Game must be made specifically for the competition
and work on the game must begin on or after August 14th!
- Feel free to bring in any of your own art, music, or code snippets (premade game engines are fine), so long as the actual game itself is put together during the competition period.
- Competition begins August 13th, 12am PST and ends September 13th, 12am PST.
Submit your game to me via email or PM before September 14th.
- Competition results will be based on a single round of judging by the collective forum community by poll.
The polling will commence about a week after the competition ends and will go on for around a week. (This could change during the compo, depending on the number of entries and other factors.)
- General discussion about the compo should go in this thread. If you'd like to start a separate thread for your game, just go for it! Other threads related to the competition or competition theme may be started here as well.
- Swaying the judges and voting population through made up stories about your game, sweet posters, and other teasers is highly encouraged.
- Using your own interpretation of what is a B-game is also highly encouraged.
- Have fun! Prizes:
- Grindhouse "Making Of" Book!
It's in my dirty little hands and it's awesome. Lots of photos, interviews, and behind-the-scenes info. It'd make a sweet coffeebook. The cover looks amazing (see above).
- A CD version of MDickie's Reach!
A hard-boiled boxing game by the master of B-Games. Here's an actual quote from the description of the game: "With so many balls in the air, the only question is will your Reach exceed your grasp?" (!!!)
- Immortal fame
for having created the best cult game of all time!
- Other intangible benefits, like increased jocularity!References:
- Sexy Hiking
(from which the contest idea originated, thanks to Raincoatduck
- Somewhere Beyond Cassette 50
- Wourme's Unpolished Gems Thread