Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:22:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsB-GamesB-game Competition!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: B-game Competition!  (Read 136391 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: August 13, 2007, 11:21:42 PM »

Description:

Just like cinema has its B-movies and cult cinema, video games has its B-games.  They've got Ed Wood and Roger Corman, and we've got Jazzuo and MDickie.  You've seen 'em, you've played 'em... we're talking about games that are bad in the right way.

By popular demand, TIGSource is sponsoring a competition to celebrate the creation of B-games!  We want to see some bad games with some great personalities!  Broken gameplay that works; low budget graphics that titillate the primitive and perverted parts of our brains; outrageous themes beyond the ken of normal human beings.  We want to see bad games with that certain "je ne sais quois."  Terrible, hilarious, sincere games that have the kind of moxie that can only come from the independent game community.

Do you have what it takes to make the baddest, baddest game there is?

Rules:

- No team size restrictions!

- No color or resolution or other format restrictions!  (Although keep in mind that if your game is completely unplayable it will probably make judging difficult.)

- Game must be made specifically for the competition and work on the game must begin on or after August 14th!

- Feel free to bring in any of your own art, music, or code snippets (premade game engines are fine), so long as the actual game itself is put together during the competition period.

- Competition begins August 13th, 12am PST and ends September 13th, 12am PST.  Submit your game to me via email or PM before September 14th.

- Competition results will be based on a single round of judging by the collective forum community by poll.  The polling will commence about a week after the competition ends and will go on for around a week. (This could change during the compo, depending on the number of entries and other factors.)

- General discussion about the compo should go in this thread.  If you'd like to start a separate thread for your game, just go for it!  Other threads related to the competition or competition theme may be started here as well.

- Swaying the judges and voting population through made up stories about your game, sweet posters, and other teasers is highly encouraged.

- Using your own interpretation of what is a B-game is also highly encouraged.

- Have fun! Grin

Prizes:

- Grindhouse "Making Of" Book!  It's in my dirty little hands and it's awesome.  Lots of photos, interviews, and behind-the-scenes info.  It'd make a sweet coffeebook.  The cover looks amazing (see above).

- A CD version of MDickie's Reach!  A hard-boiled boxing game by the master of B-Games.  Here's an actual quote from the description of the game: "With so many balls in the air, the only question is will your Reach exceed your grasp?"  (!!!)

- Immortal fame for having created the best cult game of all time!

- Other intangible benefits, like increased jocularity!

References:

- Sexy Hiking (from which the contest idea originated, thanks to Raincoatduck!)

- Somewhere Beyond Cassette 50

- Wourme's Unpolished Gems Thread
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 03:16:30 AM by Derek » Logged
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 11:25:50 PM »

DISCUSS.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 11:44:45 PM »

I changed my mind about letting people post their own threads in this forum.  As long as it's related to the competition, go for it!  We'll let God sort 'em out later.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 11:53:18 PM »

YES! Dude, I was just wondering about this. I was gonna necro the other post pertaining to a TIGcomp with the question "When tha fick is this gonna start?" but now I don't have to!

So yeah.

I'm up as a pixel artist/writer if anyone needs one.

Let the Awesome commence.

raincoatduck
Level 0

I hate your quirky alt-country band

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 11:58:59 PM »

Sweeeet.  This provided me with the motivation for my long overdue registration to the forum!

Phil, my Leaky Pig Productions cohort and I were discussing what exactly would make a B-game and I thought that like a B-movie, the enjoyment of a B-game should come from an aspect not anticipated by creator.  Other people will most certainly define it differently but I think the ideal B-game would be one in which more fun can be had by "breaking" the game than actually playing it as it was intended.

So, creating an intentionally B grade game would involve making it appear that it is supposed to be played one way when the fun of it is to actually go against the developer's supposed intentions.  That's just my take though.  I think that "Where's an Egg" game from homestarrunner.com is a great example of a B-game that doesn't follow this definition at all.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 12:02:21 AM »

Nice, guys!

raincoat: sweet interpretation!  Hopefully one of many we see during this compo. Grin

Xion: thanks for reminding me about some rules that need to be clarified.  Team-ups are totally fine.  Any size team is fine.  You can include a dog on your team, if you want.  And feel free to use existing game engines, and even art and music... so long as the game itself is put together for the competition and during the competition period.
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 12:14:10 AM »

I have a unique game mechanic in mind that is going to make you guys wish you'd never even seen a computer.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 12:23:24 AM »

Sweet!

Who is(are) the judge(s)? :O

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 12:31:08 AM »

Sweet!

Who is(are) the judge(s)? :O

The forum community!  Unless there are enough entries that we need to break it down into a group of finalists.  Then... who knows?!
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 12:34:40 AM »

Ah, so like a poll vote thingy? Sweet.

I'll be so ready to post "Not my results. But thanks JIG and game developers!" on the voting thread when the time is right.

gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 12:36:36 AM »

Wow, this has to be the greatest game dev competition. ever. (I was just playing through Sexy Hiking and thought that these kind of games need more exposure and now tigsource has already a combo running.)

I'll definitely take part in it, but just one question about the rules. It says there that the game has to be specifically made for the combo, this isn't a problem for me. But is it ok if I publish the game on my blog before the competition deadline?

I'm asking this because the last game dev combo I participated had the policy that games weren't allowed to be published before the competition deadline.

Petri Purho
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 12:42:21 AM »

I'll definitely take part in it, but just one question about the rules. It says there that the game has to be specifically made for the combo, this isn't a problem for me. But is it ok if I publish the game on my blog before the competition deadline?

I'm asking this because the last game dev combo I participated had the policy that games weren't allowed to be published before the competition deadline.

Petri, if that's what it takes to get you in the compo, then yes, it's fine. Wink

You can do whatever you wish for the game during and after the competition, as long as you are creating it for the competition itself!
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 12:47:51 AM »

This competition sounds terrific, I really look forward to the entries and I think I may try to enter myself.

I'm thinking about the Resident Evil voice overs from the PS1 game as I read this competition, but I'm also thinking about They Came From Hollywood, which is clearly trying to be a good game in the B-movie style, just like Gene Wars did back in the Bullfrog days. Actually, Gene Wars itself was a pretty bad game but I absolutely loved it, so I think it gets double points for being both a B-movie style game and an actual B-game. I may attempt this with my own entry... if I enter :D

GetAGrip
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 12:48:37 AM »

Oh, darn you! Now I my brain got flooded with silly game ideas instead of concentrating on what I should be doing  Tongue

I will see if I can find some time to make something. Just need to cut back on my nocturnal Fallout game sessions.

If I make something it will be minimum Radeon 8500 / GF3 (no mx). Is that something most people here can play?
gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 12:51:53 AM »

Petri, if that's what it takes to get you in the compo, then yes, it's fine. Wink

You can do whatever you wish for the game during and after the competition, as long as you are creating it for the competition itself!

Then I'm in \o/

And I can do whatever I want with the game even after the competition. Sweet. You guys don't know the things I do to my games after they're released. Those things are very private and very kinky.

Petri Purho
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 02:13:33 AM »

When I think of B-Games the first thing that comes to my mind is Mation Meltdown. Not sure if the creator was actually going for the B-Game look, but either way they captured the B-Game atmosphere perfectly.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 02:17:06 AM by Oddball » Logged

Movius
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 04:27:13 AM »

This is a great idea. So great infact, that I've stopped lurking in order to announce my intention to enter.
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2007, 04:51:46 AM »

Wow, a compo where the Multimedia Fusion default platform engine will be actually a good thing. :D

I'm already pumped, count me in. Tongue

Oddbob
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2007, 05:33:24 AM »

Oh shit, it'd be rude of me not to!

I'm in!
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 05:36:48 AM »

Damn man that was quick, im so in, if i can find a idea and time to do it, well time to think of rad ideas that is, im sure implementing some bug riddled code wont take too long.  Even if i just shit myself and put out a playable screensaver one day before its due... score

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic