Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:22:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDo I need a reason
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Do I need a reason  (Read 2966 times)
nexus
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2014, 10:16:10 AM »

Hi everyone,

I love games and have made about 10 games in my life but sometimes I feel like I don't even know what I want from a game anymore. When I think about my next game project, I end up asking myself what is it that I want. And I can think of anything or any reason why I want a game anymore.

I know I still love games, but maybe it's just a love for the idea of games in general.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 10:22:17 AM »

Play games until you find something you like, write it down, then keep repeating until you have enough ideas you want to use.  Mix and match to taste (and of course don't combine ideas that'd never work together)
feminazi
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 01:04:35 PM »

lol dont bother playing games for research, they all prety much do the same thing and youre wasting mony for no reason (watch a quik look or something if u hav to)

if you jsut like programming games for sake of making them find someone else to do the creative part
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 05:00:45 AM »

i havent played a game since 2012
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 05:33:38 AM »

What kind of pathos drives a man to post in a forum about videogames but never play them?
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 06:44:45 AM »

What kind of pathos drives a man to post in a forum about videogames but never play them?
i recently got rid of the box that my xbox has been in for several years. it said "12 INCH DESK FAN" on it. now the xbox is in a drawer. i am a powerful man.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 07:12:56 AM »

i have never seen and have no idea what the following consoles look like:

play station 4
play station vita
x box one
Liza
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 09:32:15 AM »

I rarely play games anymore. I still get excited about playing games, but at the end of the day when you face the choice between making a game and playing one, making usually wins.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 09:35:39 AM »

No you don't, next!

But really, Don't think about games, watch games and let them inspire you
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 09:46:27 AM »

i recently got rid of the box that my xbox has been in for several years. it said "12 INCH DESK FAN" on it. now the xbox is in a drawer. i am a powerful man.

Next time, try buying one that doesn't need to be assembled by hand.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 10:01:57 AM »

why would i do that, the fan is most likely to be made in china, and to purposefully choose a fan which is packaged wastefully for the convenience of not assembling it is selfish and bad for the environment. either way, my desk fan is going strong.
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 12:08:29 PM »

play more games. roms, indies, triple AAA, doesn't matter. see what you like and don't like. sometimes figuring out why most games bore you can be a great first step.  Wink

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 02:10:44 PM »

dont listen to that guy build a home gym instead
Blambo
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 03:36:30 PM »

yeah actually there's lots of shit you can do besides playing games that'll help you

why do you have an obligation to play games
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 05:35:09 PM »

Sure, there's other things you could do (a lot of good things). But I don't think anybody should isolate themselves from other works in their craft. There's plenty of indies doing interesting things right now, and it's pretty hard to deny that there's merit to being inspired by others.

I mean jeez.
Hoj
Level 0

:)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 02:31:57 AM »

Hi everyone,

I love games and have made about 10 games in my life but sometimes I feel like I don't even know what I want from a game anymore. When I think about my next game project, I end up asking myself what is it that I want. And I can think of anything or any reason why I want a game anymore.

I know I still love games, but maybe it's just a love for the idea of games in general.
At least you've had some success making games! I've been trying to make the same thing over and over for 10 years.

Please join our game design server on Discord: https://discord.gg/2vTggSz
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 07:41:04 AM »

Hi everyone,

At least you've had some success making games! I've been trying to make the same thing over and over for 10 years.
big fan of your work, mr. derek smart
absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 08:58:46 AM »

I see everyone here is telling you ,"play games. play more games...club seals...play games", but I think you should do the opposite.

Since you have already played and made games, games will always be a part of your conscious and sub conscious thinking; which is why I think you take a period to NOT play games.

Read a book. Make a kite. Discover something you don't know anything about and relearn how to simply PLAY.

Then get your ass back inside from all that fresh air and make games.

theunicornprincess
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 08:31:16 AM »

What absolute8 said. I wanna play games that take me to places I think of. I'm obsessed with fantasy themed, anything with magic. I love a good adventure and love puzzles or anything that makes you think. What are some of your favorite things to read or watch or do? Create something like that and replicate the emotions you get from it. Smiley

Snow
Level 0

experienced gamer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 10:50:35 AM »

What about just prototyping and experimenting with something and let it take it's own direction?

Some of the things I work on myself are just experimentation to satisfy my own curiosities or to see if I can re-invent the wheel myself with certain things. I'm the type of developer that never finishes anything (well I have 1 finished game). I'm always more excited about prototyping and tinkering. This process however, sometimes leads to something interesting or something that I might use in a game. One experiment I was doing led me to a neat game idea that I'm now working on.

Give it a shot.

I experiment in a rather organic process. I start with a sprite or an action and then just add on and see where it goes.

A pencil, blank paper and an empty room is all you need.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic