Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 03:39:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignDesign Books
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Design Books  (Read 1567 times)
armedpatriots
Level 0

Game Designer/ Programmer

View Profile
« on: June 05, 2014, 05:47:17 PM »

Hey guys, I was wondering whether or not you guys create design books. I am not talking about game design docs (although I would like to know your thoughts on those as well), I am talking about notebooks full of ideas and designs. Have you ever found this useful? Or do your feel like they hold no value compared to prototypes?

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
-Thomas Edison
Danny Hayes
Level 1

An Indie developer, co-Creator of PONCHO!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 02:30:23 AM »

Hmm, I personally tend to keep most things in my head, but whenever I suddenly I have a cool idea I'll pull out my notebook and jot it down so I don't forget. The same goes for level designs or new game ideas. Sometimes I just open up notepad and write it there because I'm always at my computer and it's easier for me. Smiley

Lycaon
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 02:42:38 PM »

I find it super helpful to maintain a notebook full of ideas. I oftentimes write things down in google docs, or just in a text file if I don't have my notebook nearby. Most of the ideas I write down never become anything, but the last thing you want is to be struggling to think of that great idea you had a week ago now that you're ready to try and prototype it.
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 07:57:07 AM »

Lots of emacs org-mode files. My brain needs that. Fantastic tool.
PeteDevlin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 11:42:39 AM »

I use Evernote and save EVERYTHING - All those scraps you collect form in your head into bigger ideas - Keeping scrap books is good practice!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 02:19:49 PM »

i never write my ideas down. if i don't remember an idea it was probably not that good in the first place or i wouldn't have had the motivation to actually make it happen.
Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 03:11:52 PM »

i never write my ideas down. if i don't remember an idea it was probably not that good in the first place or i wouldn't have had the motivation to actually make it happen.
Same with me. I consider implementation only if I can't forget that particular idea.

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
Uykered
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »

I use a white board a lot, writing/drawing ideas on that helps a lot, sometimes I miss things until I write it down, even if you rub it out right after.
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »

Yeah, I keep a bunch of kinds of documents.  I don't get a lot of free time to make games, but I can always jot down an idea.

(I wouldn't say "only prototype" unless someone's planning too much too soon and is heading for the slow fail.  Failing fast is the important thing.  Sometimes an hour with a piece of paper or whiteboard can give the fastest answer of all, even when that answer is "nope".)

My main document is a big list of questions I ask myself about a new idea, once I think I'm serious about doing it, or an old idea once it's passed the prototype stage.  (They're questions similar to the ones in Jesse Schnell's deck of lenses.)  They help me refine and expand the idea.  On the other hand, if I just don't have good answers yet, it probably wasn't ready for prime time.
PeteDevlin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 01:40:33 AM »

Yeah, I keep a bunch of kinds of documents.  I don't get a lot of free time to make games, but I can always jot down an idea.

(I wouldn't say "only prototype" unless someone's planning too much too soon and is heading for the slow fail.  Failing fast is the important thing.  Sometimes an hour with a piece of paper or whiteboard can give the fastest answer of all, even when that answer is "nope".)

My main document is a big list of questions I ask myself about a new idea, once I think I'm serious about doing it, or an old idea once it's passed the prototype stage.  (They're questions similar to the ones in Jesse Schnell's deck of lenses.)  They help me refine and expand the idea.  On the other hand, if I just don't have good answers yet, it probably wasn't ready for prime time.

This is a great piece of advice. The idea about being realistic and saying 'nope' after just fleshing it out on paper is something everyone should do. All those hours toiling away at code only to then realise and idea doesn't have enough steam is a big factor in games that never get completed. Psychologically we all seem to think that ideas will just keep coming and coming if we code away but this isn't the case (except for type 1 games like toys where it's all about the added features).
armedpatriots
Level 0

Game Designer/ Programmer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 03:47:28 PM »

I have never though of it that way. I like that psychology.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
-Thomas Edison
Ludipe
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 06:49:21 AM »

I always carry two small notebooks with me. One is for quick ideas, I just write down everything which comes to my mind.

The second one is way less messy, I only write stuff about the projects I'm currently developing. I write things I have to do, bugs, questions I ask myself and I even draw levels.

I'd say it depends on the person, using notebooks helps me a lot.

Eadow
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2014, 06:17:29 AM »

I always have a small notebook with me that I write every single idea I have. They can range from full games to abstract themes or words that may inspire me later, or even a small mechanic that I like. I don't have the time to develop even 1% of the things that I have written in there, but sometimes when I hit a brick wall or I'm participating in a game jam, I can simply read my hundreds of ideas and keywords and get out of my predicament very easily.
Most of time time I have up to 3 or 4 game ideas simply by watching an Youtube video, so there's that too. Wink

Follow me on twitter to know when new games come out @OPC_Eadow

Opposite Code - Because Freedom is Optional
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2014, 08:38:44 AM »

I have about 3 of them - two standard and one of grid paper - that I'm usually dabbling in, trying to organize everything within them. I'm presently brainstorming gameplay mechanics that can be used to make top-down adventure games fun and exciting... and maybe give them a better sense of flow, too.

pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2014, 07:13:38 AM »

I have about 3 of them - two standard and one of grid paper

Reminds me, while I take 95% of notes in emacs, I have a couple of notebooks printed from pdf on lulu.com with square and hex grids in of different sizes. Sometimes, like this week, bring one when away from home/computet to sketch ideas.
Elzy
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2014, 11:50:59 PM »

My brain is horrible. If I write it down, it forgets because I can just look at that later.

However, if I just think about it, it will stay up there forever. I don't know how many times I have gone to something I have designed and remembered everything but what was written down.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic