Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:31:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Manipulator
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Manipulator  (Read 21817 times)
Virtanen
Level 0

Lost in time

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2008, 06:13:07 AM »

The Manipulator
Who's manipulating the manipulator?

There are people among us who call themselves Manipulators. These Manipulators
can take control of your mind and use you. They are a threat to us;
we must get rid of them at once! Be alert! Do not trust anybody! Cool

This game contains some flashy imagery so epileptics should be warned.

Screenshots:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/erkkavir/ManipulatorPic1.png

Trailer(bad quality):

Play at YoyoGames:
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/65645
Or direct download(4.mb, Windows):
http://koti.mbnet.fi/erkkavir/downloads/The_Manipulator.zip

All comments are welcome-
I consider this game finished but if any big bugs or annoyances
come up, please report them and I'll fix them. Well, hello there!

Virtanen
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:05:40 PM by Virtanen » Logged

VIRTANEN GAMES
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 08:05:35 AM »

Ooh, I know your games. Will definitely try this and return with feedback!

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 08:45:44 AM »

This looks hella good! I can't download files from where I'm sitting though, some kind of firewall Cry Will download as soon as possible when I can.

Tip, you could put the screenshots in there as images instead of URL:s, more efficient to catch peoples immediate attention.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 08:58:34 AM »

Tip, you could put the screenshots in there as images instead of URL:s, more efficient to catch peoples immediate attention.
Or you could put the screenshots as URLs [ url=URLGOESHERE][ img]IMAGEGOESHERE

Close as usual.

Gentleman
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 10:22:26 AM »

Grammar mistake in the intro: 'be alert on all times' should be 'be alert at all times'.

I didn't get why my manipulated dood was instantly recognised and killed by one of the other doods.

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 10:28:22 AM »

There were some spelling mistakes in the mind reading, like cocain.
Evil-Ville
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 10:56:15 AM »

I don't think killing yourself should be done the same way as killing the manipulated people. Sometimes I press down and don't even notice that I am actually killing myself when trying to go down a ladder or something and then I die accidentally. Happened twice as I was about to beat a very easy but long and tedious level. Then I figured out what was causing it.

Non of the enemies other than turrets and the basic soldiers were ever any threat, which seems a bit backwards considering that they appear later in the game. A few times a guy I manipulated decided that he doesn't want to be manipulated and shot me instantly afterwards.

I picked the blow everything up and now I am kind of curious what the other one is like. The game is quite long so I don't think I am going to beat it again though. I guess beating it without killing anyone could be interesting though.
Deacon Blues
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 01:42:49 PM »

I noticed a spelling mistake in the cutscene before Sector 4, but I can't remember exactly what it was. A pretty obvious one, though.

Amphetamine is spelled incorrectly in mind reading.

Some of the facts in mind reading go outside of the box. This happens a lot with the ones that contain names, but I noticed a few static ones that do this.

Possible ending bug:

The credits lists people you've killed even if you restarted the level after killing them. I guess this may have been intentional, though.
Virtanen
Level 0

Lost in time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 03:02:26 PM »

Thanks for all the comments and bug reports!

I didn't get why my manipulated dood was instantly recognised and killed by one of the other doods.
Well... Yeah I know it is kinda stupid Huh?(How can they know who's manipulated and who's not?)
but that way it's better for the gameplay. If they wouldn't know anything, then the game would have been quite different with sneaking and stuff... If you want a reasonable explanation for the trigger happiness of the guards then here goes: The guards have been commanded to kill anyone who moves out of their position.  Grin

I don't think killing yourself should be done the same way as killing the manipulated people. Sometimes I press down and don't even notice that I am actually killing myself when trying to go down a ladder or something and then I die accidentally. Happened twice as I was about to beat a very easy but long and tedious level. Then I figured out what was causing it.

I decided to keep down as the suicide button because I was running out of usable buttons and thought it would add something to the story and paranoia, like "If I kill those manipulated people with the down button, does that mean I'm being manipulated too?"

Some of the facts in mind reading go outside of the box. This happens a lot with the ones that contain names, but I noticed a few static ones that do this.

This was something I myself noticed right after uploading the game but I was just too lazy to do anything about it Tired... I'll fix it.

Possible ending bug:

The credits lists people you've killed even if you restarted the level after killing them. I guess this may have been intentional, though.

And about the ending, yeah it was intentional. I think it works but it does make it harder to go through the game without killing anyone.

I'll also try to fix those grammatical errors as soon as possible with the help of a Finnish-English dictionary  Durr...?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:14:57 PM by Virtanen » Logged

VIRTANEN GAMES
vdgmprgrmr
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 03:12:58 PM »

Erm... I can't play it.

When I run it, it says, "Failed to Initialize Direct Music Audio."

Then it goes to a screen with some guys down at the bottom, but just stays at that screen and doesn't do anything...
increpare
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 05:57:59 PM »

I've just started playing it now.  The platforming feels quite good, with the exception of ladder-climbing, which is gross.  Could you do something about that?

On stage 4-2 I found it weird that the guy who had the key couldn't use it himself, that it had to be picked from his corpse.  Would probably be a scripting paint to get that to work, but it was something that stood out for me.  Also to have people thinking about themselves in the third person was a bit weird.

Oh, the jumping guys are a pain to hit.  In a perfect world it'd be easier, I think.  Not a big problem though.

I found the visuals interesting, though a little hard on the eyes (especially found myself ravished by the end-of-level yellowish bloom effect).  The same goes for the music/sfx (on ears, though).  I don't know if I'd recommend you change either though, if you're happy with them.

The mechanic is interesting, your implementation of it is pretty good, and I like the mind-reading innovation (I think that's new).

Oh, no save/resume.  I won't go back playing immediate then, maybe tomorrow.  Not a big issue, I guess.

Anyway, nice game.  Some interesting level design, as well (I especially liked the room with the jumper, and the narrow passageway before it...).
Ooso
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 03:08:43 AM »

I can't open the archive, though. Which is a pity.  Droop

Any chance you have a special kind of archive software?

increpare
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 05:54:51 AM »

Some other waffle, now that I've finished the game once (warning:spoilery)

if you stop possessing someone in mid-air, they get stuck
on sector 2-3, when i deposessed the jmping guy from on front of the start point, he disappeared and reappeared back in his starting room.

i like how heavy the helicopters/bombers feel
would nice to be able to press space to skip through some of the dialog

I like the dilemma.  I thought hard about making the choice (possibly because I didn't like the prospect of playing through the whole game again straight away ... ).  I liked that the intermissions depend on your behavior.
Alex Vostrov
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 02:28:44 PM »

Good job on the art style; it's a very effective use of minimalist art in my opinion.  One almost gets the impression that that's the way the Manipulators view the world, all warped and distorted.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 07:16:44 PM »

Interesting game you got here. Beer!

Like its been said the ladder climbing is just too slow and annoying. I avoided using ladders whenever possible because of that.

I'd imagine later levels would have turrets as well. Seems odd that the most inner parts of a secret facility aren't as well guarded as the entrance.

The whole thing is pretty interesting, but like its been said the game does drag after a while. I'm not sure I'll be replaying it to try and find out what the other ending is.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
redoubtable troutbot
Level 2

The robot is your friend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 07:34:09 AM »

I haven't played enough to give any real feedback yet (I will though, this looks awesome), but RPS seems to like your game.
Zephranthes
Level 0

bzzz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 01:50:27 PM »

Great game, really loved the visual style and the theme.

Some nitpicks:
-Ladder travel is way too slow.
-Lots and lots of typos.
-Crashes during the credits if you fiddle with the buttons.
-Unskippable dialogue.

Still trying to go back through and beat it with no casualties Smiley
One level in particular has me stumped where a soldier shoots explosive barrels before you have a chance to tranq or manipulate him.
ryujo
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 04:22:40 AM »

Hello there!

Great game overall. I didn't get one thing though: when you kill (w/ down arrow), some soldiers drop an item, which looks like some sort of a gun. Can you do something with it?
r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 09:30:50 AM »

Cool game!

It's very cactus-y (cactesque? WTF) which can only be a compliment.

I kept dying in the first level while going down the last ladder for some bizzare reason. I can only assume there's some kind of bug that makes the suicide effect transfer to the player character.

Jakkar
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 07:08:53 AM »

I like the game - A good mixture of strategic thinking and humour, with a bit of action and timing. Enough simple elements combined to make the game entertaining.

But bugger that, I'm here to laud the music - 'Lost in Time' has been running on repeat for about four combined hours of my last two days.

The visual style is also great - one of the few 'retro' games that has ever really given me a retro feel. Big pixels don't cut it, the blurring vibration of every onscreen element in Manipulator, though.. that works =)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic