Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:22:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPsych (Postmortem inside!)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Psych (Postmortem inside!)  (Read 6807 times)
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 05:58:00 AM »

It's Super Froggergon!

Looks good, looks hard

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 06:08:48 AM »

It's Super Froggergon!

Ha, that's a nice description  Gentleman

ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 02:24:50 PM »

Trying hard to imagine which kind of music would match.. Strangely cannot decide between something neutral, smooth or something really frentic indeed. Would need to play it further to figure this out!

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
jckowalsky
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 01:30:20 AM »

Trying hard to imagine which kind of music would match.. Strangely cannot decide between something neutral, smooth or something really frentic indeed. Would need to play it further to figure this out!

Hi,
i am composing the music for the game.
The concept is to have a background loop that is pushing forward and to add samples, loops and noises for every stage. every stage has a flair and i am trying to underline it with music (sphere is atmospheric, other stages are more psychedelic or frantic ecc.). Maybe there will be 3 different background loops so it doesnt get too repetitive

Once the backgrounds loops are ready i can upload them so you can have an idea and give feedback if you like.
 Gentleman
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 01:52:54 PM »

Seems legit. Looking forward to having a listen to your tunes then. Smiley

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 11:31:52 PM »

Update:

- Updated first post: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=41268.msg1030287#msg1030287
- Made a small gameplay video (one session):

- Twitter Account up: https://twitter.com/jcstranger
- Added game to IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/jcstranger

cheers

jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 03:06:55 AM »

hey guys,

it's time for an update.

It has been quite for a while now since I was mostly working
on implementing ads and google play services, preparing the google
play store page etc. Not too much to show...
The good news is, ads and google game services are up and running.

Besides that a lot of optimizing and polishing happened and the first
music tracks are done (which still need some finetuning).
jckowalsky will upload something for you once he feels comfortable to do so.

Creating a twitter account and an indieDB entry was quite useful
since I got a lot of cool feedback and even a publisher offer,
which I am currently evaluating.

Will keep you posted.

Here are some new screenies:

Main Menu:

Google Store screenshot #1:

jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 07:10:52 AM »

Time to think about an official name.

Actually I like the name Psych, but since there is a US tv series with that name i guess
I need to change it. They also did a PC game for that series.
Seems that I could get into trouble for taking the name.
Psych tv series trademark: http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4809:da29j0.4.60

I would like to ask you guys for name ideas.
Doesn't matter how stupid it may seem, let it out, just brainstorm!

Here, take that screenshot in exchange:

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:39:36 AM by jcstranger » Logged

jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2014, 05:51:27 AM »

Big News:
Psych is finally released for Android devices, for free.

Release Trailer:

jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 06:02:16 AM »

Hey guys,

the iOS version has been released on Monday.
To my suprise I have already 2,5k+ users and I don't know how this happened since I did no marketing
to that point. Downloads started as soon as I released the game.
I am obviously fine with that, I just can't explain it.
Any ideas? Would really like to understand this.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 06:16:22 AM by jcstranger » Logged

jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2015, 12:38:19 AM »

Quick update:

Psych is featured in the US App Store in the category "Best New Games"!

jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 07:17:20 AM »

Postmortem Incoming!

Hey guys,
since Psych was very successful I would like to share its story with you.
First, let me start with some facts:
      -   Psych was featured on the App Store front page in 139 countries, totally 518 times
      -   It was downloaded about 1.5 million times (App Store, Google Play, Amazon App Store)
      -   Best ranking US:
        o   Action Games: Rank 2
        o   Arcade Games: Rank 4
        o   Games Overall: Rank 8
        o   Apps Overall: 38

The Release:

In late December 2014 I released the game on the Play Store without doing any marketing. I just told my friends and family that it’s available and they could play it which they did a lot during the Christmas holidays. I got lot of very valuable feedback from them and they even found some critical bugs that I could sort out pretty quickly.
After that I started with marketing the Android version. I sent out a press release to every Android related page I found. I got some nice articles about the game but nothing that would drastically increase downloads.
In the meantime I started working on the iOS version which eventually got released with end of January 2015. I took Apple about 2 weeks to review the game.

The Surprise:

Once the game went live on the App Store I noticed that I had about 100 downloads a day. This seemed very strange to me since I did no marketing for the iOS version so how should people know that it even exists? It also wasn’t featured at that time. I still don’t know how to explain this. Maybe it is was all the Apple staff that reviewed the game in preparation for the upcoming feature.
A few days later I was sitting in front of the TV, regularly checking the iOS Leaderboards for new players when I noticed that in between 15 minutes I had about 1000 new users. First I was thinking that Game Center is bugging and showing wrong numbers. Another 15 mins later I had another 1000 new users so I went online to check what happened.
And there was the first mail with congratulations for the App Store Featuring. The game was featured in the category “Best New Games” in the US. However, this usually doesn’t guarantee lots of downloads. I believe that I did a good job with designing the App Icon and selecting the Store Page screenshots.
A week later Apple expanded the Featuring to 138 countries worldwide. This was great but the numbers told me that being featured worldwide (outside US) on the App Store is about a worth as being featured in the US only. In short: I had about as many downloads in the US as in the rest of the world combined.

The Monetization:

Psych is free to play and mainly monetized via Ads. They get triggered after every game session.
For Ad services I decided to use Mopub as mediator and add lots of Ad networks such as Admob, MillenialMedia, Mobfox… Unfortunately, the only one that performs quite well is Admob. After trying out a few things I decided to deactivate the Mopub Marketplace since the ecpm is generally very low with them (about 0.9$). Admob performs at around 2$. By deactivating the Marketplace I tell Mopub to prioritize the Admob service. This comes with the downside that the fillrate decreased, but in the end I think it was still worth it.
For In App Purchases (IAP’s) I added the option to buy off the AD’s and 3 different arrows (player characters). They don't sell so well which was expected. However, they give players the option to spend some money on the game if they want to support me. The Ad remover is working quite well though. In total, IAP's make about 10% of the total revenue.

The good stuff:

- Well, Psych was a big success. I didn’t expect this at all since it was my first one-man game. Its main purpose was to get into working on a game all alone, getting to know the engine, making some interesting discoveries, generally to getting better at it.
- I was working in the games industry for the past 7 years as a Game Designer. With this precondition I knew I had to make something that is very simplistic. My art and programming skills are very limited, but I know how to design interesting mechanics or systems on paper. I was able to identify my strengths, weaknesses and limitations (remember: one-man project) and work out an interesting, manageable game.
- I took a lot of time to sort out the most important questions before actually starting to develop Psych. I took a closer look at a number of different engines. Finally, I decided to stick with Construct 2, a very accessible, well documented, lightweight engine with a strong community and lots of options. I quickly jumped into Construct by working on my first prototypes. Before starting with Psych I worked on 2 other prototypes, which I decided to stop working on. Preproduction took me about as long as production itself and I am convinced that was the right the way to go. Taking as much time as needed to find something that is worth finishing.
- Working alone is wonderful. I usually worked in teams with 20-30 people and a publisher. For Psych, there was no Design Document, no management tasks, no unnecessary meetings, no endless feedback cycles, no boss to approve your work. Everything you do you do for yourself, every idea you have can be implemented if you wish, in a few hours. Hell, I never want to work in a big company again
- Psych got some awesome game dev biz media coverage on the Wired, BusinessInsider, Pocketgamer etc. However, those didn't help getting downloads.

The bad stuff:

- The name Psych turned out to be a bad decision. I wanted the name to be one word. Now, that is a problem. Try finding a non-fictional word for your game that isn’t connected to something that already exists. Besides, lots of spam blockers jump on when they see something containing the word “Psych”, which is obviously a bit of a problem when trying to contact press.
- I was in negotiations with 2 medium sized publishers. With one of them I went into contract negotiations. After having the contract checked by a lawyer and sent it back for them to agree on, I didn’t hear back anymore. Note: I am not talking of a no-name publisher, so I expected a bit more professionalism here. I tried to reach them on several ways without success. In the end I had no contract but wasted a few weeks and a nice amount of money for the lawyer.
The relation to the second publisher was similarly disappointing: I told them that I am in a hurry with releasing the game since I was late already (thanks to the first publisher). So I wanted things to get done. What they responded (in short): “We usually do not collaborate with developers that make demands”. Well, **** you then. If it’s just about being your bitch, I am more than happy to not having to work with you.
- From a financial perspective, the game was a success too. However, there is a clear downside to this. The game is out there for about 2 months now and I already earned enough to being able to continue working on my next game. Considering the fact that the game is that successful and it would be naive to expect every game I develop to be this successful, the money I am getting from it is not as much as I was expecting. To wrap it up: If I want a game of this size with this monetization method to be successful financially, it needs to be similarly successful as Psych.
- The gaming media response was much lower than I was expecting. While the big Android gaming pages showed interest, it was much harder to get through to the big iOS review pages like TouchArcade and AppAdvice. I reached out to them regularly without any feedback. The game was featured quite a while and I was thinking that that should be enough to get some attention. Well, I was wrong.
- Google Play didn’t seem to notice Psych at all. While it was a big success on the App Store, the ~50k Google Play downloads come mostly as side product from the App Store Featuring. Every attempt to contact them and following their guidelines failed and so it wasn’t featured anywhere on Google Play.
- Soon after the App Store Featuring, a guy from the Amazon App Store contacted me to port the game to their store. Psych will get a featured spot… A few weeks later it got that featured spot: Somewhere on position 50 of the “Best games of January” category. In the Amazon App Store this means a lot of scrolling until you reach it. As suspected, the Amazon App Store performed the worst with about 8k units despite being featured.

Conclusion:

- Psych was a big success on the App Store
- Know your limits and go for quality, not quantity
- The only thing that really gets you downloads is being featured
- Don’t trust publishers
- Take time for preproduction
- Working alone is awesome
- A catchy, unique name is very important
- Being financially successful by monetizing with Ad’s you need a huge amount of players
- Once you have a successful app, you get tons of mails from people who want to get some money out of you

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 07:47:26 AM »

Congrats on the success. 1.5mm downloads. Super impressive.

I don't play mobile games so I don't understand the draw behind but it is fascinating to hear how these games monetize so I appreciate the insight.

Chris MacAdam
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 08:06:23 AM »

Wow nice to see this game here. I have it on my phone because my friend (whos not into indie games really) told me to download because it was fun and hard.
Few weeks later I see it here on the devlogs. Awesome to see that you got some success with your game!
I'm also using C2 so it was another surprise to find out that you use that. Thanks for sharing the story of the game

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 11:23:39 AM »

Cool write up and congrats on the downloads (you've got 1 more now)!

So, what's next?

jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 01:53:18 AM »

Cool write up and congrats on the downloads (you've got 1 more now)!

So, what's next?

Currently, the only thing left to do on Psych is to get out the new game mode for Android devices.
After that I will start with something new. I don't really know what it will be yet, but I am somehow
drawn to optical illusions. Maybe a puzzler in a world of optical illusions? Will probably experiment with that idea.

Thanks for your feedback guys!

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 02:58:15 AM »

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions. It's very interesting. And congratulations to your success, of course! Smiley

You said that you need a ton of players to make money with ads. Do you think it would have been better to sell the game for a normal price and not include ingame ads at all? Or a small price and ingame ads? Or in-app-purchases? Which method will you try next?

Personally, i really hate ads. I'd rather buy the game to get rid of them. The combination: free game + ads is acceptable, of course. Many players seem to accept watching ads as a payment method.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:10:54 AM by Zorg » Logged
jcstranger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2015, 04:00:02 AM »

Do you think it would have been better to sell the game for a normal price and not include ingame ads at all? Or a small price width ingame ads? Or in-app-purchases? Which method will you try next?

I think that strongly depends on the type of game. Psych was tailored towards working with Ads. Initially it had one level only and very short sessions, which means that Ads can get triggered often. Besides, I really don't think that a lot of players would play a game like Psych if it wasn't free.
For my next game I think I will try another monetization method, most probably just selling it for a few bucks. However, I think for a game to sell on the mobile market it needs to be of very high quality. Interesting gameplay doesn't seem as important as high quality visuals and programming.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic