Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:41:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTechno Dash - 3D Endless Corridor Flyer for PC and Mobile
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Techno Dash - 3D Endless Corridor Flyer for PC and Mobile  (Read 1959 times)
Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2014, 04:40:05 PM »

By Hammerwing Studios

Myself and my partner have finally released Techno Dash! After many months of work!

Mobile Versions

PC / Mac Versions

Check out Our Trailer!

To keep the post short, previous developments of the game can be read here.

Original Post below
A few of you may have already heard of Techno Dash through Twitter #screenshotsaturday or #gamedev or the Playtest Thread from a while back, where I'm going to do a quick dev update from that point.

The feedback from the playtest thread lead to the game getting a complete UI overhaul to the style it is now.

http://i.imgur.com/UvtPsdm.jpg

More screenshots can be seen on the Techno Dash IndieDB Page.

Another recent addition to the game is a different progression system. Initially when a player creates a certain number of starts, they reach a 'level' to unlock items and ships. The disadvantage is that a skilled player can reach 'end-game' rather quickly which for a endless arcade is often the point where player stops playing since in their mind they completed the game.

The new progression system is a "Key" system. When the player creates enough stars, they earn a key which they can use to unlock ships or upgrades individually. This gives the player the choice on what they want to progress on and also extends the content.

Along with our progression system we also created a simple reward system, to help players earn bits and play more often. We believe that this is much better than the infamous friction-based "energy system" that plagues many F2P games.  Our current reward system no only lets the player play as much as they want but they also get benefits for playing each day.

With those two systems implemented, most of the work was then on polishing the game and fixing bugs that come along. We submitted to Apple App store, got rejected due to some obscure step they didn't tell us about, and when we submitted again we got approved yesterday!

Now begins the process of "soft launch." For those who don't know, soft launch is a process in which a game gets released in a select few regions and collects the data of players so they can balance the economy and gameplay. In some way it's like a Pre-Release Beta before full release. Our soft launch starts June 14th in Canada, New Zealand and Ireland for iOS.

The PC and Droid version is still in the works. While the droid will be Freemium, the PC version will be premiusm with IAPs taken out. Soon I'll be posting videos of the game.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:56:27 AM by Ammypendent » Logged

Twitter
netravelr
Level 0

@jodoran

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 05:21:56 PM »

So from the first glance at the screenshot, things look incredibly busy to me and the icons don't really make sense at first glance aside from the score up top, the pause button, and what I assume are abilities in the D-Pad like state. Do you have a tutorial in the game? Or, perhaps you should introduce the mechanics one at a time to help avoid confusion. Overall, looks like a great start and I hope your release goes well for you!

Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++, Unity, Unreal, Flash and Python
Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 08:31:56 PM »

So from the first glance at the screenshot, things look incredibly busy to me and the icons don't really make sense at first glance aside from the score up top, the pause button, and what I assume are abilities in the D-Pad like state. Do you have a tutorial in the game? Or, perhaps you should introduce the mechanics one at a time to help avoid confusion. Overall, looks like a great start and I hope your release goes well for you!

We have a voice acted guided tutorial in the game and it's the first thing the player encounters when they try to start a run. It introduces them to the controls, the objective and what each UI element represents (with visual cues pointing them out). I believe that the version available in the playtest thread has that in place if you want to check it out Wink

Twitter
Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 05:43:31 PM »

We got our Trailer for Techno Dash made!

The trailer took a while since we haven't done anything of the like before and had to learn many things, such as how to capture gameplay at a high enough quality and learning the video and audio editing programs.

For video editing we've tried a couple programs such as premiere but for the sake of speed we went with Windows Movie Maker due to simplicity and the not so steep learning curve.

Another thing we did was use Audacity to mix and sync the audio to the cut video and then import it. While it took more work it gave us the flexibility to work around some of the limitations Movie maker had with audio.

Twitter
Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 06:05:52 PM »

We've been hard at work and now we got our final Game logo made!
What do you think of it? You can see how it looks in the game on our IndieDB page

We've been working on the Android and PC versions of the game and are working towards putting together a Greenlight page.

Also if you have an iOS device and are in Canada, New Zealand and Ireland you can download and play it now! The feedback would help greatly in balancing the game.  Smiley

Twitter
Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 09:47:27 AM »

Myself and my partner have finally released Techno Dash! After many months of work!

Mobile Versions

PC / Mac Versions

If you like to try out the demo go here! http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/645661

We also launched a Greenlight campaign! http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=304154334

The last couple months we were dealing with much of the small details such as getting the Google Play API to work and getting gamepad controls to work the way we wanted. It required us having to rewrite some code and implement some design patterns we haven't done before. The couple of people who have installed the game in our soft release gave us the info we needed to balance and fix any bugs that cropped up. We are glad to have finally finished a project and now we're focusing on marketing.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:00:11 AM by Ammypendent » Logged

Twitter
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic