Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:45:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGhoulsMiner
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: GhoulsMiner  (Read 7466 times)
bluilisht
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 13, 2014, 09:45:39 PM »

This is our game from SkyForts. It's a platformer game with additional mechanic such as stage-rotating and tile-headbutt.
The game itself told the story of Welsho Nion who had sold her soul to a Devil. Instead of killing Nion and took her soul, the Devil made Nion his subordinate and forced her to collect souls. Thus, Nion's day as ghouls-miner begins.

GhoulsMiner's main screen

Game Play

The objective on GhoulsMiner is to collect fragment souls inside dungeon by using Nion’s 3 basic ability: Platforming, Headbutting, and Stage-Rotating, which are the core-mechanics of this game.
Fragment soul resides on Gem and Ghoul, so to get them Nion has to mine gem or beat ghouls.

inside the dungeon

The Gem itself also acts as ingame-currency that Nion could use to upgrade her powerup. There are 3 types of gem, so we use 3 currency system.

shop

Our inspiration for the game comes from Mario, Spelunky, Pacman, etc.

Team
GhoulsMiner is being worked on by 2 people.
Myself, mostly working on the code, and spiralhalo doing the graphic and story.

That's all for now. Later I will explain more about gameplay and story.

Meanwhile, you could follow us on http://skyforts.tumblr.com/ and @SkyForts

« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:47:29 PM by blue_mc » Logged

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 07:38:25 AM »

This looks really good and interesting!
Kind of a neat little idea with adorable art.

Hopefully all goes well, Good luck!

bluilisht
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 02:59:02 PM »

This looks really good and interesting!
Kind of a neat little idea with adorable art.

Hopefully all goes well, Good luck!
thanks for your kind word  Embarrassed

Long time not posting here, the game is still working on but it's slower than I thought it would be.

I made a design for the Devil, what do you think guys.

bluilisht
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 06:20:47 PM »

halo had been working on Nion sprite

v1  v2 v3

The left one is the first sprite that he made. Then he changed it to v2, but it's not really fit on the stage. So v3 is the current sprite that we use.

There's also other form that Nion would use after taking powerups. But it's still based on v2 style. We might change it later.

Savick
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 06:44:06 PM »

Cool looking mechanic, cute art. Doesn't she need like a shovel though? I mean she's just bashing rocks with her head, right? Seems like it would hurt. It does add to the cute factor though.
The Translocator
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 06:43:18 AM »

It looks cool. I only have one question: can you kill the enemies by bashing a block under them like in Mario?

spiralhalo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 07:43:50 PM »

Hi. spiralhalo here, thanks for checking out our game!

Cool looking mechanic, cute art. Doesn't she need like a shovel though? I mean she's just bashing rocks with her head, right? Seems like it would hurt. It does add to the cute factor though.
Good point. Well, I thought about using a drill helmet once but just it doesn't feel right. In Nion's initial design she is supposed to be a peculiar adventurer with a trademark helmet that has magic capabilities. Let's say her helmet absorbs all impact so her head doesn't hurt!

It looks cool. I only have one question: can you kill the enemies by bashing a block under them like in Mario?
No. We want to stick with the pacman style of removing enemies which adds to the game's arcade feel.
spiralhalo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 08:41:04 PM »

we made some notable changes to the game recently

now the game has mission system that asks player to complete missions in 4 different dungeons. another addition includes a harder block variant. I revamped the art to match the change, as well as adding some cool contrast. you can tell which are the harder block variant by their similarity. there're still some correction to be done but I liked the new style so far

following the mission system, the house now has 4 trophy slots that stores a new trophy for every dungeon cleared. you will be able to access an endless mode for each dungeon from those trophies later (the cat double is due to debugging)

Oxeren
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 09:13:11 PM »

Interesting take on screen rotation mechanic.

bluilisht
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 01:53:37 AM »

Art & character design progress for Welsho Nion, the bottom-right will be used for dialogue avatar.

The top images were done by spiralhalo. You can see the initial design that he made. He actually responsible to draw dialogue avatar too, but I forced him to give that task to me.

I wanted to draw something that not too anime, I even draw something creepy. But the final piece is still looking anime-ish Mock Anger
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:32:48 AM by blue_mc » Logged

spiralhalo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 04:07:45 AM »

A bit late to the party, but here's a concept art for Chatom the ghost cat (cat ghost?)

It's basically a hi-res version of the sprite, as a reference for the dialogue avatar that blue is working on
bluilisht
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 02:22:01 AM »

finished another avatar. It took me 1 week to do this. Crazy

Anyway, Chatom is a spirit cat that owns a treehouse called Death's Abode. It's a basecamp for adventurer who wants to explore the Weeping Tower nearby. He's also an acquaintance of the Devil.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:08:29 AM by blue_mc » Logged

bluilisht
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 04:35:52 AM »

Hi guys, i bring you some new updates!

spiralhalo had been reworking the tiles (again)

a preview for ice-room (he said that so far, this is his best pixel work)

he finished the dialog box too

oh, it feels so good to finally see my artwork in the game (even though it's just a mockup). I should do something like this more often  Addicted

and guess

who's coming
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 02:36:28 PM by blue_mc » Logged

CasePortman
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 07:00:29 AM »

I like the graphics, they've evolved into something quite nice! I'm looking forward to see how this game plays out!
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 07:02:12 AM »

Art is developing into totally adorable status. Loving that backpack illustration -- everything is very clever, nice core gameplay mechanic.

bluilisht
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 04:04:28 AM »

I like the graphics, they've evolved into something quite nice! I'm looking forward to see how this game plays out!
Art is developing into totally adorable status. Loving that backpack illustration -- everything is very clever, nice core gameplay mechanic.

thank you  Grin

finally all three of them are done. I still have to make their expression tho.

spiralhalo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 07:19:28 AM »

been a while since I visited this thread. thank you kindly for the nice comments  Gentleman

this is our recent status update. we're working on the mission board along with the mission system, which is the second last important piece for the game (the other one being the cutscenes)

on another news, we had a composer joined us to work with the game music Beer! we're currently waiting to hear back from him

here is a mockup sketch for the mission board (pardon the intentional misspelling Smiley

and an older sketch (rejected)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:30:38 AM by spiralhalo » Logged
Lazcht
Level 0

BANG!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 07:41:19 AM »

+1 to random descriptions. i love that Toast Right (and how is your digital handwriting surprisingly very good compared to mine)

looking good so far, i hope those boards wouldn't turn out as popups, instead using the room attributes as the mission/result screen, hohoho. Well, hello there!

bluilisht
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 04:31:23 AM »

+1 to random descriptions. i love that Toast Right (and how is your digital handwriting surprisingly very good compared to mine)

looking good so far, i hope those boards wouldn't turn out as popups, instead using the room attributes as the mission/result screen, hohoho. Well, hello there!
well it's a popup ._.

made some progress on the intro, just started to understand Starling Filter a lot better. I'm just gonna leave the gif here. Grin
Pardon the unfinished dialogue, spiralhalo is too lazy busy to finish it at the moment.

Conker534
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 01:17:13 PM »

Yeah I'm definitely following the development to this game, followed on twitter as well!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic