Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:29:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSteel Assault - NES-Style 2D Action Platformer [KICKSTARTED+GREENLIT!]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Steel Assault - NES-Style 2D Action Platformer [KICKSTARTED+GREENLIT!]  (Read 27400 times)
Benitosub
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2015, 03:08:54 PM »

You just got yourself a new beta tester  Grin Wish you the best of luck, crossing fingers that you make it!

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »

At the end of its first day Steel Assault had 30 backers pledging $1,123 (14.03% of $8,000). The tipping point of raising 30% before the end of the first week should be the short term goal to aim for. For a $8,000 goal that 30% would be $2,400. If Steel Assault can raise $1,277 more by Friday it should have good momentum going into its Kickstarter trough slowdown period. That looks achievable. If it doesn't reach that tipping point it is still possible to get funded, but it may be a more unpleasant run.

The Janaury 19th graphs for Steel Assault show the $10 tier was the most populated and also the largest contributing tier until a $499 pledge appeared after 19:30 PST. Remember that each $499 backer contributes 6.2% of the funding goal. The $39 tier is not far behind the $10 tier for contribution towards the funding goal. The distribution of backers through the reward tiers is still emerging. Each reward tier in the $1 to $100 range has at least one backer. That is a good sign to me. Some campaigns have specific tiers remain as holes throughout the entire campaign.

Steel Assault popped up to the 9th rank in popularity for the active video game projects around 18:45 PST. January is still a bit slow. Another pixel art heavy game that launched around the same time was the action RPG Elventales: A Path Foreseen. Threshold was the other video game project to launch on Monday. Early Tuesday morning has already seen RetroBlazer and Major Rocks launch. I don't see any of these projects generating much press for the platform yet.

On December 2nd 2014 Kickstarter removed the Backers tab from project pages. It is still possible to see backers using this link that is edited to add "/backers" to it. The link partially messes up the ability to use comments until the page is refreshed using a different link. The overall experience level of the backers looks good. Responses to comments were done well.

The Bitly Analytics page had 9 total shortlink clicks a few hours ago, but has since shot up to 26 clicks.

The NeoGaf thread was edited to include the Kickstarter project link. The majority of the 23 comments on the Greenlight page were positive. There were also posts on IGM, Cliqist and a positive mention in a thread talking about Shovel Knight on 4chan's /v/ that I won't link to. The Greenlight Trailer on YouTube has 14 views within its first 2 hours of being posted. It currently has 23 views. There was a single Reddit post besides the one in Marketing Monday #48. The amount of press is not big, but it is still very early in the campaign. I don't feel like the campaign is at its real potential momentum yet.

Right now is the phase where the project creator needs to keep putting effort into generating press and also getting a project update ready for this week. It doesn't always have to be large update. It can sometimes be a news update about how much funding progress has been achieved.

Sidekick's tool currently shows a 3% probability of sucess with the data it has to work with. That feels too pessimistic.

Kicktraq currently shows a trend to $34,813 (435%). Before the $499 pledge it was showing $15,314 (191%) which is much more realistic. It will be more clear how well the project should do after the first week of data, but it is generally a good thing to be trending above 100%. Tags can be added to the Kicktraq page such as "PC", "8-bit" and "chiptune" using the suggest button.

KickSpy currently shows a trend to $10,115 (126%).

There is another graph for Steel Assault that shows when pledges appeared in the first day (Limited to half hour blocks). I could have implemented that graph about backers better in hindsight.

It is a good habit to record what the pitch view counter is each morning for each day of the campaign. It is in the project creator dashboard. This data can be really helpful for estimating the conversion rate of visitors into backers. The ratio generated can then be used to estimate how many overall views the project needs to reach 100% funded. It can also be used to judge how well the project is being accepted.

Kickstarter slows down at night when most North Americans go to sleep. The campaign has already slowed down a tiny bit. No need to panic yet. Steel Assault could start to see some Australian backers right about now. Good luck overnight.

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2015, 07:26:54 AM »

Thanks, Benitosub! And thanks for the analysis, LobsterSundew.

This was a pretty good first day for both campaigns! Steel Assault is already at 15% funded on Kickstarter, and over 10% of the way to the top 100 on Steam Greenlight. Thanks to everyone who's supported us so far! Smiley
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 07:33:05 AM by DavidCaruso » Logged

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2015, 02:42:54 PM »

I just covered this for Indie Retro News and was wondering why this game looked so familiar when playing it. It must be because I saw the devlog here. Here's the article :

http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/01/steel-assault-arcade-nes-style.html

Looking forward to being able to play the game so I can write more about it. It can be a little tough to cover based on media alone. It certainly helped that your intention for the gameplay was clear in your description.

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2015, 04:53:48 PM »

Thanks for the article, InfiniteStateMachine!

We're not currently at a point where we feel comfortable sending an alpha out, but we will be soon (hopefully before the end of this campaign). I'll let you know when that happens!

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2015, 02:31:45 PM »

Sounds good. PM me or email IRN whenever you feel you're ready and we can do a more in depth look at the game Smiley

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2015, 01:16:36 AM »

Steel Assault did surpass 30% funded before Friday. This is very good. It is currently at $2,733 (34.2%) from 104 backers. The average amount pledger per backer is $26.28 which is healthy. Using that average, the project should be targetting an additional 201 backers (305 overall backers) to reach 100% funded.

Sidekick currently shows a 18% chance of success that dropped from over 25% before Friday. Bitly Analytics shows 55 shortlink clicks. Kicktraq shows a trend to $12,103 (151%) and KickSpy shows $10,782 (135%). The Greenlight trailer now shows 871 views on YouTube.

Steel Assault's current graphs are still early, but patterns are starting to emerge. The campaign still looks very viable to reach 100% funded. It received some medium sized blog mentions.

There is a large drop in backer numbers from the $10 to $15 tier, but a likely explanation is the $20 early-bird being more attractive than the $25 tier. The $20 tier is now contributing more than the $499 tier and all 30 slots are filled. The $15 and $25 tiers should see a boost going forward now that the $20 tier isn't drawing backers to it. The $59 tier has 7 backers. That is better than I expected. There are no unallocated backers that did not select any reward tier.

The $10 tier has been staying around 40% of backers selecting it and contributing about 15%. 15% of $8,000 is $1,200. It would take 120 backers at the $10 tier to do that. There is currently 44 backers at that tier, so that could require 76 more backers at the $10 tier. That looks very achievable.

The drop in new backers for Friday January 23rd was significant. It went from 18 new backers for Thursday down to just 4 on Friday. PAX South started on Friday and there are many new video game trailers being revealed this weekend. It will be difficult to get blog coverage this weekend, so one option is to temporarily focus on things other than e-mailing press for now and seeing if the project regains momentum on Monday. It also worth noting that this was the first weekend the campaign experienced, which can see a big drop even if PAX wasn't happening. If it it a continuing trend towards a stall then that will quickly become visible over the next few days. I also expect the campaign to eventually fall into single digits for new backers per day like other campaigns its size experience without a lot of press. The Kickstarter trough is expected and factored into planning. In the trough focus shifts to preparing for the last week of the campaign when the momentum experiences another surge if a project hasn't completely stalled out. A single great day of coverage is also all that a campaign with a $8,000 goal might need.

January 2015 will likely be remembered for many retro art style games and exploding kittens. STRAFE and Drift Stage are doing well. Now there is also Starr Mazer. These campaigns are driving traffic to Kickstarter which is good for other projects too.

It would be good to see a project update go up on Monday because it would be 7 days since the campaign launched and the start of a new work week. If the update is ready by Sunday night it could also go up then. It could become routine to post on Sunday nights or Mondays. In both good and bad scenarios I would be recommending making project updates.

Some project creators get worried about giving away too much of the game through a demo. Playable demos do not always have to be available to the general public because gameplay videos can now serve the role that demos previously did in PC gaming. A playable alpha released to press and specific YouTube channels can preserve some control over who has access to it. I can recommend specific channels to prioritize contacting. If there is still not much press generated, then the playable alpha could be released first to backers with a backers-only project update and then to the general public. When the demo is made available to the general public the project creator can no longer really control the spread of the demo. Demos can really help Kickstarter campaigns because they build confidence in the project creator. A single video from one of the largest Let's Play channel could be enough to give Steel Assault the momentum it needs its goal. In both scenarios where the demo is sent out just to Let's Players and where the demo is released to the public, the demo gets sent to Let's Players. That means the decision about releasing the demo to the general public can be delayed until it is at least sent to the press and YouTubers.

A possible scenario is that Steel Assault's campaign is still missing 30% of its funding goal going into the last 48 hours, but then multiple YouTube videos go up from channels that cover indie games which helps to push the project over 100%. 60% of $8,000 is $4,800. Using the per backer average pledge amount, it can be estimated that the campaign could be at 183 backers with $2,400 missing in that scenario. Each of those 183 backers would need to individually upgrade his or her pledge by $13.11 to cover the funding gap. From past experience the target amount each backer needs to individually upgrade needs to drop to down around $5 per backer to be very confident the campaign will succeed. Not every backer will be expected to upgrade, but someone who upgrades a pledge by $15 covers for two other backers who did not upgrade by $5. Also, Kickstarter regulars that finally decide to pledge to help because the campaign is so close will cover for some backers that don't upgrade. A campaign can get funded because it is so close to 100% that Kickstarter's regular users won't allow it to fail by such a small margin. That is why reaching the 30% tipping point was so important. It shows the campaign has a chance so future backers don't just immediately dismiss it like a project that only raise 5% in 20 days.

There can be a delay of 2 or 3 days for a Let's Player to have a video recorded, edited and ready to uploaded after receiving a link to an alpha build. They can't be expected to rush a video out in a few hours after receiving the build. They can also take weekends off (But continue to upload prepared content). Some will also have their immediate recording schedules busy with backlogs of other games to do. Waiting longer than February 11th or 12th to send out a playable demo may reduce the chance of a video from a large YouTube Let's Play channel being ready before Steel Assault's campaign deadline.

A text file included with a demo in the ZIP file can provide instructions like keyboard shortcuts to quick restart from the beginning and basic controls. There is also the opportunity to link to or copy the text from a Kickstarter project update discussing the game's HUD and powerups.

Many individual Let's Play episodes can be 7 minutes to 20 minutes in length. It would be good to aim for 10 minutes of content, but that depends on how much content can be prepared and not stretched too thin. There could be a timer to end the play session after a specific number of minutes. The demo could end at a specific checkpoint or when a specific character like a miniboss is defeated if that works out to being a better point to end the demo. It can be beneficial to end a demo on a high note like the entrance of a boss or when a boss transitions to a second form so it leaves viewers wanting more. A "Support us on Kickstarter" message can appear when the play session ends.

It can sometimes be difficult knowing how to balance working on project updates, messaging press and continuing work on a demo. Simultaneously doing all three may result in burnout. That is why I encourage having content for project updates prepared before launching so effort can go into other tasks. The demo may be what ends up generating the most press, but project updates help maintain or grow existing interest in a project from Kickstarter users. There is also the scenario where the demo is not ready before the deadline. I would suggest getting at least one or two project updates ready, then switch to prioritizing the demo without having to worry about project updates for awhile. A better sense of if the demo can be ready in time could then be found. A decision about how to proceed further can then be decided based on how well things went.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:37:57 PM by LobsterSundew » Logged

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2015, 09:43:47 AM »

Thanks, LobsterSundew. I'm glad that the drop last Friday isn't reason to panic. I guess we'll see how momentum is going forward.

We posted a Kickstarter project update talking more about Steel Assault's mechanics and design! Hopefully this clarifies some of the questions some people (both here and elsewhere) had.

In addition, we're aiming to have a playable alpha build of the game ready within the next 1 or 2 weeks! Nothing too huge, just 1 or 2 small areas. We'll see how this goes (and if it doesn't work out, we'll release a more complete playthrough video of the game instead). Smiley

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2015, 11:35:30 AM »

I find it incredible that an 8k project this amazing isn't already funded.

Yeah.
blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2015, 12:11:08 PM »

Backed, retweeted and voted.

Good luck guys, this looks pretty slick. This is the first kickstarter I've ever backed, seems worth it.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2015, 05:25:19 PM »

Not my usual genre, but you've definitely achieved the look and feel you set out for. Best of luck on your remaining campaign.

quan
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2015, 06:01:47 AM »

I'm liking the look of this, posting to followwwwwww
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2015, 08:00:55 AM »

Thanks everyone! Smiley

I find it incredible that an 8k project this amazing isn't already funded.

ME TOO MAN I dunno, I think it's mostly the lack of press exposure. Game journalists don't really seem to like opening my e-mails for some reason hahah. We've gotten a few mentions on some smaller blogs (and foreign blogs) but none of the big sites (Destructoid, Joystiq, etc.) have picked up yet.

EDIT: Just broke $3K!! :D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 08:38:53 AM by DavidCaruso » Logged

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2015, 12:53:50 PM »

OH. MY. GOD.  Shocked

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2015, 09:21:57 AM »

Definitely going to back this, but I have a criticism about the graphics, which is that it's very blue/gray right now. I was really hoping to see more environments that make use of red and green, like you see in Shatterhand, Batman, Ninja Gaiden, etc.
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2015, 07:30:23 AM »

Thanks Derek and 08!

Definitely going to back this, but I have a criticism about the graphics, which is that it's very blue/gray right now. I was really hoping to see more environments that make use of red and green, like you see in Shatterhand, Batman, Ninja Gaiden, etc.

Yeah, that's a good point. The metro tunnel (second area) is orange/green but most of the environments showcased up to this point have been pretty blue. There are definitely going to be areas with a different color scheme though (actually, the game is probably shifting to less blue immediately after the levels I've showed on the KS page so far).

I wonder how the National Harbor/Underwater levels would look with greener water. I'll test that out in a bit.

LobsterSundew
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2015, 03:44:06 AM »

PAX South is over. MAGFest was January 23rd to 26th and some of the big YouTube gaming personalities attended it. I had not known in advance about the Witcher 3 events where members of the press could play the first 4 hours of that game. The last half of January has not been an easy time for a small project to get press.

The new set of graphs shows Steel Assault is now its Kickstarter trough period. It is dropping in the popularity rankings down to around the 25th rank. I had expected it to be 5 to 8 backers per day and not the 2 to 4 backers. It is not as bad as it first looks because the minimum goal is so small and the campaign is at 39% funded. Many campaigns also appear to spring back to life in the last week because of many factors, but mainly because of urgency that it will be ending soon.

The $10 tier continues to hover at around 40% of backers selecting it. The $20 tier being full means its percentage of the total number of backers should continue to decline throughout the remainder of the campaign. The percentages for the $15 and $25 tiers went up. January 29th shows $-39 in pledges because it looks like a $59 tier backer relocating to the $10 tier. The $59 tier has been seeing some fluctuation up and down.

The $25 and $39 tiers have stopped growing. The good news is that the $10 and $15 tiers continue to grow. If the $10 tier stops growing then it is an indicator the campaign will likely stall. That tier is starting to do better over the last 2 days.

I currently see 124 backers pledging $3,158. That is $25.47 per backer which is good. When the single $499 backer is removed the adjusted average pledge per backer drops to $21.62 which is also good. The target number of backers remaining to reach 100% using that adjusted average is an additional 224 backers (348 total). I see no need to cancel because that target number of backers is so small that it still has a good chance of achieving it. The best day so far was 30 backers on the first day. 7.5 days at 30 backers per day could get the campaign funded. It is not like the campaign needs to do 100 backers per day to reach a $200,000 goal.

SideKick shows a 94% probability of success. Kicktraq shows a trend to $7,531 (94%) and Kickspy shows a trend to $10,440 (131%). I feel that the campaign will get funded with a push in the last week.

Even at its current slow pace it has a very good chance of being able to achieve another $1,000 before the last 7 days of the campaign. I suggest starting to plan for how to cover 50% of the minimum funding goal in a period starting on Wednesday February 11th to Wednesday February 18th. Steel Assault was able to raise $2,646 in its first 4 days. In that last week it would need to do $1,354 better than it did for its launch, which really is just 64 more backers. The conversion rate of pitch views into backers can be used to help estimate how many more views are needed, then specific blogs and YouTube channels that can satisfy those view numbers are targeted. 20,000 more views could be enough.

There was no coverage from the main blogs that cover indie gaming. I agree lack of exposure is the biggest problem I see for this campaign right now. There was a post by IndieGames.com for the game, but not much else. On the positive side, it wasn't like the game received coverage from a big blog and resulted in few backers. The campaign could see a surge in backers when it finally does get covered by one of the big blogs.

Many bloggers allow for a single follow-up e-mail if they haven't responded to the first one that was sent. To send more e-mails can result in a developer being blocked as a spammer. Sending e-mails again to blogs like Rock Paper Shotgun may have to be saved until the last quarter of the campaign or until there is a demo. Being close to the goal in both amount raised and time remaining can create some urgency to cover the project.

A Reddit push could be much more effective in the last quarter when there is more urgency to support the campaign. It would also be good to wait until there was a demo. Imgur itself is also a community with a voting and hashtag system. An example of an Imgur post is the one for Battle Chef Brigade.

The project thumbnail could be experimented with to try to get more backers from within Kickstarter. I've mentioned before that there is more eye-catching imagery within the game than what is currently being used for the thumbnail. Changing the thumbnail may also get people who skimmed past the current thumbnail before in the discover area to finally give the project a click. It is possible to replace the project thumbnail before the deadline, so a new thumbnail could at least be temporarily tried.

The train is one of the more visually impressive parts of the gameplay that has been shown. The beam weapon fully deployed in the metro level could be a good screenshot to use as a background for the thumbnail. That beam weapon should still be visible even when the image is scaled down in size.

One thought for a quick modification is to have the current thumbnail, but beneath "Assault" that portion of the image would be pasted over with three screenshots in a single row that fills the width. It would cover the portion that is currently the protagonist and two vending machines. The screenshots do not have their borders touch; there could be some spacing in between each other and the edges of the thumbnail. The upper right corner could be useful for displaying a "Demo inside" badge.

I tried to think up of a better project description, but I didn't come up with anything better yet.

The first week of February 2015 is approaching. That is when big campaigns may have been waiting to launch, especially since January is known to be slow.

Part of this message relates back to when I talked about deciding what to concentrate efforts on.

Continuing to produce high quality updates may increase the chance of Steel Assault receiving shout-outs from other projects and it provides material to impress bloggers. It also can help maintain backer morale, get some discussions going in the comments area and inspire them to share the campaign link with others. Update #2 about the HUD and mechanics was excellent. Good work. Posting the next project update around February 2nd would be good to see if you wanted to maintain a weekly posting schedule. If it is taking a long time to prepare an update, consider reducing the scope of the update. Sometimes it is more important to make an update than it is to have a lot of content in that update. One of the best parts of update #2 was how each topic was shown with an animated GIF. Maintaining that level of production values for every project update may become too tiring.

Continuing to focus more on preparing a playable demo than marketing is what I think is still the best in the long-term, but the effort needed finish the demo is the obstacle to be concerned about. If it looks like it won't be done in time, look for ways to reduce the scope of what needs to be done. Some areas that are missing tiles could even use the virtual green holodeck-looking tiles as placeholders. Having a demo should make the marketing easier and open up the opportunity of Let's Players covering the game. That could help catch up for focussing less on marketing in the trough. The advice to stop worrying about external marketing for awhile and instead be concentrating almost all efforts on the demo (And another potentially smaller project update) can initially feel wrong because general Kickstarter advice is often to always be pushing hard for exposure, but it can make sense when there is very limited time resources and a demo itself could produce enough returns to get the campaign to 100%. A large campaign can't really afford to have to rebuild its momentum and exposure from scratch halfway through the campaign, but a small project can be able to rebuild enough momentum to reach a small goal. Another note is that the sooner the demo is finished the sooner the rebuilding of the momentum could start, but rushing the demo out too fast can risk bad impressions when it is obvious the demo should have had more polishing. The demo could be first be made available in a backers-only update so backers can bug test it or give urgent feedback, then the next version of the demo could be the one sent out to the public.

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2015, 01:57:36 PM »

We just posted a new Kickstarter project update talking about the history and evolution of Steel Assault! It features some artwork and music from early in development that wasn't posted previously in this thread (or anywhere). It's interesting to see how the game's evolved over time, even I didn't realize the idea stretched back that long until I wrote this up.

Our current focus is still on trying to get a polished enough demo out there. At the very least, we want to finish something smaller-scale that we can send out to Youtubers (like I mentioned before, a famous YT channel contacted us to play our game on a video, so that's one of the things I'm banking on for publicity).

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2015, 11:39:44 AM »

We’re currently entering the last 10 days of the Steel Assault Kickstarter campaign. Right now, we stand at almost 150 backers, with just over $3,500 in funds raised! Thanks to everyone in this thread who backed the project, and all of those who supported us in getting this far.

However, we’re still a way to our goal, and we still need all the help we can get. If you could find the time to share our Kickstarter page with others, or even just retweet our Twitter announcement/reblog our Tumblr announcement, that could go a long way in getting us the exposure we need as we head into this last stretch.

Again, thanks to everyone here who’s supported us! And let me know if you have any questions, comments, or concerns. We’re still trying to get a polished pre-alpha demo out by the end of the campaign (and we’ve sent a more unpolished version of the game to some Youtube channels, which might help us in getting the exposure we need).
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:45:00 AM by DavidCaruso » Logged

Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2015, 03:34:45 PM »

So what's the plan if the game isn't funded? I hope development doesn't stop!

Currently developing Demons with Shotguns, a 2D competitive platformer arena game.
MindShaft Games
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic