Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:51:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsblockcillin
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: blockcillin  (Read 3170 times)
btmura
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 15, 2014, 05:25:24 PM »

blockcillin is a free and open source puzzle game for the web!

Play it now @ http://blockcillin.appspot.com and follow this thread as development continues!

The Dart rewrite is underway @ http://blockcylin.appspot.com.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 04:18:30 PM by btmura » Logged

btmura
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 05:45:20 PM »

Hello all Smiley,

I've been working on blockcillin for roughly 3/4 a year now. It's a 3D puzzle game written using WebGL and various HTML5 technologies. My strategy is to roughly finish all aspects of the game (gameplay, menus, asset, etc) before moving on to the polishing stage. I think I'm pretty close to accomplishing the first stage, so I set the thread icon to 50%.

This weekend, I worked on fleshing out more of the menus by adding a score board. I wrote about it in my existing development blog: http://blockcillin.blogspot.com/2014/06/stats-menu.html

I'm thinking about some exclusive tigsource content rather than just spamming this thread with posts from my development blog. If you have any ideas, let me know. Maybe I'll stuff it with more detailed posts about the code-related struggles or something.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or comments!  Beer!

billyboob
Level 0

Kitty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 11:44:50 PM »

Is cool. Found myself getting frustrated and realised I could get a higher score if I rushed through the blocks spamming the directional and swap keys. I'm sorry! Maybe a chill mode for old geezers.

Code related struggles would be good to read.
btmura
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 09:18:26 PM »

@March in August

Thanks for playing! I've gotten similar feedback from family. So, I'm planning to add a difficulty selector to allow people to start at whatever pace they want.  Coffee

Aereneo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 06:47:33 AM »

This game is really fun!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right
I usually don't like puzzle games, but i actually played this for a long time.
I also really like the idea of Bejeweled with a 3D twist.

But still, the best way to play this game is to mash the arrowkeys and the swap button, like March in August said. It would be nice to have something to prevent this, if you are able to do something like that.
Anyways, good luck and keep on developing!  Coffee

"Only two things are infinite. The universe and the WinRar trial."
btmura
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 09:57:28 PM »

@Aereneo

Thanks for playing! I'm really happy you had some fun.  Tears of Joy

I'm going to make the game start at a slower speed and add a difficulty selector that will allow experienced players to start at a quicker speed.

Since the player could get bored waiting for more blocks on the slowest speed, I'm going to add a way to raise the blocks up. Keyboard players can hold down the control key or something, while mobile users should be able to touch and hold to make the blocks rise. As soon as they lift their finger, the blocks will go back to their current speed.

Finally, I'll need to better reward the player for making combos and longer chains by freezing the blocks longer. I'm going to have to implement some visual and audio effects to communicate this to the user too. That's going to be fun to implement!  Hand Metal Left

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 10:08:58 PM »

Pretty solid game overall. It's very much like Tetris Attack and Pokemon Puzzle League, but without the ability to do combos. Nice work on the mechanics, nonetheless. I played for 7 minutes or so and got up to 37600 before I lost.

btmura
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 10:46:38 PM »

@SolarLune

You know exactly what games inspired me. Smiley

Combos are a must-have, since I think that is what makes it fun. I'm still thinking about how to implement the algorithm for detecting combos, but I suspect they are formed from whatever chains of blocks are made while blocks are clearing and dropping. I'm also thinking about how to do the animations, sounds, and indicators for combos... so thats why I've set the progress meter to only 50%.  Beer!

Thanks for playing and leaving feedback!

btmura
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 09:21:51 PM »

New devblog entry: Feedback, Credits, and Yakitori  Beer!

paulisere
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 09:13:47 AM »

Hi

I just had a look but I am on my phone and so it looks like I am not able to play :-(. Any chance of adding controls suitable for touch screen?

tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 12:08:01 PM »

I tried out your game.  It reminds me a lot of Tetris Attack which is a game I've always loved.  I'll let you know in advance that I have a color blind friend and he found the Blue and Dark Blue hard to differentiate in that game.  You might want to do something about that in the future.

I played a game until I died.  This is a polish issue, but Tetris Attack is really satisfying when you match 3+ blocks and it didn't feel as good with yours.  I was watching

to compare.  Notice how there's little puff clouds when you break things? Also, when you chain, the sound effect gets faster and faster which somehow feels rewarding.

I found a little bug, it's hard to describe using text though:

x
x
o
x
x

I took the o and moved it out of the way so that the blocks were like this:

x
x
x
x

But only the bottom 3 disappeared.  I expected all 4 to disappear.

I'd love a versus mode because to me that was the most fun part of tetris attack.  But if you're going to add a new mode, that puzzle mode that it had would probably be easier to accomplish.

Nice work, I'm looking forward to see what you do with this. 

btmura
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 05:53:39 PM »

New devblog entry: Dart Reboot!?   Shocked  Who, Me?

@paulisere: I have support for touch controls, but I only tested on the latest Android phones with Chrome. I'm guessing the game doesn't work well on iPhones. Is that what you have?

@ tieTYT: Yeap, I totally agree with all your points. Now that I am rewriting the game I will try to incorporate a versus mode into the game design. I remember playing versus mode with my friends during my college days. Smiley

btmura
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 06:48:47 PM »

New devblog entry: A Little Bit of Quaternion   Toast Left Blink

btmura
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 10:50:54 PM »

New devblog entry: Making Progress  Toast Right

btmura
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 04:17:21 PM »

New devblog entry: Transitions   Well, hello there!

btmura
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 01:24:55 PM »

New devblog entry: Third Time's a Go?  Shocked

Happy New Year! Beer!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic