Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:04:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralShould YouTubers pay developers royalties for their content?
Poll
Question: Should video content providers give part of their earnings to developers?
Yes
No

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Author Topic: Should YouTubers pay developers royalties for their content?  (Read 12082 times)
Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: July 11, 2014, 09:58:04 AM »

"you're wrong and dumb"

shit man I guess you win!!!

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 11, 2014, 10:41:49 AM »

Actually, I'd like to delve more into the whole "bad LPer" deal.

I wonder what would happen if, as a developer, you specifically told a bad LPer that you didn't want them to use your content while you still allowed others to do so.  I have a feeling that you would get a lot of negative publicity concerning "elitism" or "playing favourites", but at the same time I wouldn't feel comfortable with someone like DSP or PewDiePie (or someone doing the same as they do) making a mockery of my work, while making lots of money off of it.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
pottering
« Reply #142 on: July 11, 2014, 02:00:56 PM »

wanting to have control of your work is different from wanting to demand money

many open source licenses demand credit, or that the usage be non-commercial or open-source itself

and the "free advertising" is not really free in many cases, many LPers demand money for playing your game, and many LPers are not independent, they work for big advertising and media companies (and the fact that this is disguised says a lot by itself)

CoNamePending
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 11, 2014, 04:52:13 PM »

This thread's poll question has no context. Depending on the context, the answer to questions can differ.

[/quote]

I created the poll with an extremely broad question for the purpose of discussion, not to quibble over the context. It is not a focused on current copyright laws or just the morality of using someone else's content to make money (whether its transformative or not). I just wanted a simple "yes" or "no" answer that could be further expanded upon, using one's own beliefs, in the thread posts.

The:
"Therefore, are youtube videos illegal and the revenue should be shared with the developer, or are youtube videos helpful and boost sales (especially in the indie scene)?"

Was not meant to be the driving force for the discussion, just an example of some arguments one could make.

I apologize if it came off that way.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2014, 09:44:19 AM »

The problem with the context argument is that it allow to shift indefinitely the resolve of the problem. There is always a context not covered that can be used to render any discussion or reasoning impossible, winning by nihilism.

s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2014, 10:59:54 AM »

A gamer buys a game. He then records it and makes money. He gets views mostly not because of the game that he's playing, but because of his charisma.

A developer buys programs. He then creates a game with them and makes money. He gets sales mostly not because of the software he's using, but because he made a cool game.

Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: July 13, 2014, 12:46:09 PM »

That's insane... Obviously YouTubers should keep all their money (actually, I would pay them to make videos of my games, come one, it's pure free publicity...)

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2014, 01:54:17 PM »

A gamer buys a game. He then records it and makes money. He gets views mostly not because of the game that he's playing, but because of his charisma.

A developer buys programs. He then creates a game with them and makes money. He gets sales mostly not because of the software he's using, but because he made a cool game.

While that'd make sense, in practice there's a bunch of software where you're required to pay royalties from what you earn with the game (these days it's usually having to pay for an expensive full license when you break certain revenue limit). Unity does that, if I recall correctly.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2014, 12:16:29 AM »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/220950/YouTubers_Yogscast_taking_revenue_share_to_promote_Space_Engineers.php

We moved from "should youtubers pay developers" to "should developers pay youtubers" to "should developers share their revenue with youtubers" in like no time. Ouch.

I know I'm probably being too pessimistic but things are not looking good in my opinion.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2014, 07:48:01 AM »

money money money
let's talk about money!
Game? what's that?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic